Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1582 1583 [1584] 1585 1586 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241986 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23745 on: October 01, 2018, 07:38:02 am »

Said before, will say again. K-whatever is there because he made mouth-noises that sounded to trump like "criminal immunity". That's pretty much the sole initial deciding factor, outside the base qualification of judicial political hack willing to rubber stamp near any and every thing a conservative political source gets put in front of them.

Beyond all the other massive steaming piles of shit involved in this, k-bastard was nominated as the blatant, immunize-myself-to-criminal-indictment, corruption pick.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23746 on: October 01, 2018, 09:03:51 am »

I mean, you screw the GOP in the house this year, the senate and presidency in 2020 if we don't beat the odds on the former this election, impeach whatever needs impeaching, put the hammer to all the shit we've been tolerating that lets republicans squeak by with a minority of the population, and work from there.

Incidentally, though, there's more than Roe to the abortion debate. Even getting rid of it wouldn't immediately put the legal kibosh on the practice, just open grounds for certain fuckers to be more of a fucker.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23747 on: October 01, 2018, 09:17:10 am »

I really don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be.

It's bad, but if anyone thinks this makes the government illegitimate due to a single bad apple I've got an entire history book to throw in your face.

Modern political history is basically just a series of "Well that was a bad idea."'s all piled upon each other.

Want to fix the problem? Start with the media. Start with corporations. In the long run Kavanaugh doesn't matter. Trump doesn't even matter. It's the corporations playing the long game while politics runs in 2-4 year cycles that players refuse to look beyond.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23748 on: October 01, 2018, 10:49:06 am »

It's bad, but if anyone thinks this makes the government illegitimate due to a single bad apple I've got an entire history book to throw in your face.

Modern political history is basically just a series of "Well that was a bad idea."'s all piled upon each other.

Want to fix the problem? Start with the media. Start with corporations. In the long run Kavanaugh doesn't matter. Trump doesn't even matter. It's the corporations playing the long game while politics runs in 2-4 year cycles that players refuse to look beyond.
You mean the Quarterly game. If Corporations were playing the long game, they wouldn't be wrecking the environment.

We're in this situation because *nobody* is playing the long game, and so everything descends into chaos and faction infighting while the field is slowly trampled into a wasteland with no life.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23749 on: October 01, 2018, 11:08:35 am »

It's only a matter of time before a regard of illegitimacy from the other side gives way to the disregard of the government itself, and once we go down that path we're on our way to collapse.

California declares 'Fuck the government, we'll just make our own Net Neutrality laws!' Government responds with lawsuit.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:13:27 am by Folly »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23750 on: October 01, 2018, 12:18:07 pm »

You mean the Quarterly game. If Corporations were playing the long game, they wouldn't be wrecking the environment.

We're in this situation because *nobody* is playing the long game, and so everything descends into chaos and faction infighting while the field is slowly trampled into a wasteland with no life.

You'd be surprised. Guess who some of the largest investors in renewable energy are? Fossil fuel companies.

You don't get people like Ajit Pai in his position on a 3 month strategy.

Amazon's currently expected to put their second HQ in the D.C. area. Possibly as a long term strategy to "marry into" the government. D.C. government workers marry local amazon employees. Suddenly the government is easier on Amazon.

Investors may not be playing the long game and that does influence some decisions. But the people in charge, especially people in comfortable leadership positions with little chance of an usurp happening definitely are.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23751 on: October 01, 2018, 02:29:58 pm »

I'm honestly at a loss as to what happens from here. We've reached a point of... I don't even know if there's a means to turn back, now. It's only a matter of time before a regard of illegitimacy from the other side gives way to the disregard of the government itself, and once we go down that path we're on our way to collapse. The entire system is now nakedly partisan; now it is not just legislation, but the very rule of law that can be disregarded due to political differences.

If this new court of 9 were to strike down Roe v. Wade, what's to stop a doctor from continuing to perform abortions due to disregarding the decision as illegitimate? Sure, the Supreme Court has bent to whims of partisanship before, but it always held some notion of nonpartisanship, and with that its own legitimacy. That's gone now, no matter what happens with Kavanaugh (but almost surely worse should he be confirmed). The Supreme Court, in the eyes of 50% of the country, is now illegitimate. Why should they bother to respect its decisions, then?

We're rapidly approaching a critical point, and the only outcome I can see on the other side is outright disaster. Worse yet, I see no way to stop this. I don't believe that it started with Trump; things were set in motion well before. Trump, if nothing else, was just the sign that we have passed the point of no return. Unfortunately for most of us, that was the very indication of what path we were headed down.

Your daily reminder that the legitimacy of the government is greatly influenced for many people by the perspective of who they happen to be born as.  For many gay, trans, native american, or black people, your feelings of uncertainty about government legitimacy are a shadow of what they've carried on with their whole lives.  The only thing different today is the dominant culture is feeling it, too.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23752 on: October 01, 2018, 02:49:55 pm »

And as an additional reminder, this cuts both ways. If you were born white and bible thumping, trust and belief in the legitimacy of the SC was also quite low until more conservative judges were appointed. It was just a few years ago that Republicans railed against "activist judges."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23753 on: October 01, 2018, 02:54:51 pm »

I don't see the way politics is going making for inevitable collapse. While it's worth reminding ourselves that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer powerful societies have collapsed in the past and it's certainly possible that could happen to us, it's also worth pointing out that American politics has seen its share is crazy shit, and mostly survived. This may not be normal, but it has happened before.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23754 on: October 01, 2018, 02:59:50 pm »

I don't see the way politics is going making for inevitable collapse. While it's worth reminding ourselves that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer powerful societies have collapsed in the past and it's certainly possible that could happen to us, it's also worth pointing out that American politics has seen its share is crazy shit, and mostly survived. This may not be normal, but it has happened before.
We survived a fucking war over slavery that killed several hundred thousand. We can make it through.

Edit: 620,000 approx.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23755 on: October 01, 2018, 03:00:53 pm »

Preferably without doing that one over.

because my home would be on the losing side again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23756 on: October 01, 2018, 03:01:35 pm »

Preferably without doing that one over.

because my home would be on the losing side again
Same. :( And I would have to desert to join the yanks.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23757 on: October 01, 2018, 03:26:12 pm »

That’s the lower estimate for battle deaths. If you include deaths related to the war outside of battle and civilian casualties, it’s much bigger.

While all the attention is given to everything east of the Mississippi, the Pacific coast did have its part as the states of California and Oregon were having a secession crisis at the same time.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23758 on: October 01, 2018, 04:16:24 pm »

Cascadia here we come

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23759 on: October 01, 2018, 05:20:35 pm »

One of Kavanaugh's college (ex)friends just gave a statement to the press that he very frequently saw Kavanaugh get black-out drunk, directly contradicting Kavanaugh's previous statements.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:55:28 pm by Folly »
Pages: 1 ... 1582 1583 [1584] 1585 1586 ... 3568