Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1574 1575 [1576] 1577 1578 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242891 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23625 on: September 25, 2018, 10:46:25 pm »

Trump campaigned on the statement that all the other nations of the world were laughing at us. So...I guess that's a campaign promise kept?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23626 on: September 25, 2018, 11:08:54 pm »

Sarah Huckabee Sanders was on "Fox and Friends" and seemed flabbergasted that Kavanaugh hasn't had a speedy confirmation vote, saying

“The president wants this process to come to a vote because that’s what’s supposed to happen. In every single one of these instances where someone is nominated, they go before, they have a hearing and then the senators vote on it.”

Needless to say, every Twitter user armed with a history textbook, or...I dunno, a two and a half year memory-span, proceeded to set phasers on "Crispy".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23627 on: September 25, 2018, 11:17:08 pm »

His scripted speech(at least the parts I skimmed, 40 minutes? geez) was actually quite good. It's just shame that just about everything in it flies in the face of what he actually does as president. Actually... someone should check if he didn't lift big parts of it off another president's speech.

If that first part really was in the scripted speech, then whoever wrote it needs to be smacked upside the head.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders was on "Fox and Friends" and seemed flabbergasted that Kavanaugh hasn't had a speedy confirmation vote, saying

“The president wants this process to come to a vote because that’s what’s supposed to happen. In every single one of these instances where someone is nominated, they go before, they have a hearing and then the senators vote on it.”

Needless to say, every Twitter user armed with a history textbook, or...I dunno, a two and a half year memory-span, proceeded to set phasers on "Crispy".

Theres a huge lot happening on Thursday, Trump is having his first-in-a-long while open press conference tomorrow (I guess he has a lot he wants to get off his chest?), the Kavanaugh hearings are Thursday too and the GOP is going to have a woman prosecutor to do the questions, even though that is expressly what Ford and her attorneys didn't want. To top it all off, they're having a vote on the confirmation on FRIDAY MORNING, despite new accusations bubbling up.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23628 on: September 26, 2018, 12:35:06 am »

Didn't we already pass that point when they started talking about how his physique is actually perfect for a man of his age

I've never heard this one, but it would be really funny.  I can easily find examples of people who are older than him and obviously more fit.

See also: Bruce Springsteen, only 4 years younger than Trump.

My initial response was to post Ingmar Stenmark, but it turns out he's 10 years younger, perhaps a bit much. Still, to look like this at 62..:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23629 on: September 26, 2018, 09:18:00 am »

Sure, but according to Mr. Bone Spurs, all these people have been spending their "limited life energy reserves" or something (tRump thinks that everyone is born with a limited amount of exercise energy and exercise is stupid because it spends it).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23630 on: September 26, 2018, 10:21:43 am »

Pfft, Trump is claiming China is meddling in the midterms, without proof. This is exactly the kind of thing that he should have credibility on, but nope, people are just going to believe he is deflecting on Russian meddling.

If it's happening on a serious level, then obviously it's a problem, but this looks like just another of Trump's wild accusations.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:24:43 am by smjjames »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23631 on: September 26, 2018, 10:38:11 am »

I would expect China to take the approach the EU was planning to use, where they levied tariffs against products made in swing states or Republican stronghold states in an attempt to influence voter opinion.  I wouldn't be too surprised if they did try internet trolling and spreading misinformation like Russians did too, or if the did actually try some kind of hacking, but I'd expect those to be secondary to economic measures.

Funny thing about Trump's claim that he's the only president to be tough on trade with China is that the big pacific trade agreement floating around during the Obama administration was supposed to do that too, wasn't it?  Didn't Trump kill that because it was contaminated with Obama germs?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23632 on: September 26, 2018, 11:04:40 am »

The TTP had it's critics on both sides of the aisle and if I recall, it was dead in Congress. Even Clinton had maneuvered herself saying that she was willing to look into killing the deal.

He might have killed it 'because Obama', but the fact that it was pretty much DoA in Congress certainly made it easier.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23633 on: September 26, 2018, 12:42:13 pm »

I believe that China's perfectly capable of meddling. I just don't see any reason for them to. They don't care that much, really, about American politics. They never have. They do care about American money, which is why they've started retaliating against companies that don't pretend Taiwan is part of China.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23634 on: September 26, 2018, 12:43:21 pm »

TPP was definitely a bad deal for a lot of reasons. Whatever Trump's reasons, and whatever the reality of who killed it, we're better without it.Still expect it to appear again under a new namethough. It was far too friendly to big corps.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23635 on: September 26, 2018, 12:55:28 pm »

The real danger that not passing TPP brought was that it left a huge power vacuum in Asia. If we'd moved quickly we could have filled that with a slightly better treaty, but the temper tantrum thrown about TPP just made us look unreliable and untrustworthy. China moved to take advantage ASAP. I don't think we can really recover from that at this point.China is moving to solidify its position as the superpower of Asia and no one has the credibility and power to challenge that.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23636 on: September 26, 2018, 01:22:38 pm »

I mean, if you want to drastically oversimplify the situation and ignore a lot of other factors, maybe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23637 on: September 26, 2018, 03:23:56 pm »

Apparently that solo press conference is today in a short while, I thought it was tomorrow. Maybe it got changed.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23638 on: September 26, 2018, 03:27:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was meant to happen the same day Avenatti came forward with the new alleged victim's information.

Which he did today, instead of tomorrow like they were predicting. So they had to shift gears.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23639 on: September 26, 2018, 05:41:33 pm »

I'm not sure what exactly Trump intended to accomplish with that press conference. I expected him to make a case for Kavanaugh, or for the Republicans in the upcoming elections. But he just rambled the exact same nonsensical lies that he spews at his rallies. Except this time his base were not in the audience to cheer him on, so...why did he bother?
Pages: 1 ... 1574 1575 [1576] 1577 1578 ... 3568