Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1545 1546 [1547] 1548 1549 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242056 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23190 on: September 05, 2018, 02:48:31 pm »

Coopernation
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23191 on: September 05, 2018, 02:50:53 pm »

You should have an Empire, like us Brits had, or thereabouts. Maybe not exactly the same as our Brit one, but a British Empire nonetheless.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23192 on: September 05, 2018, 02:51:01 pm »

Dunamidedos, please put that gif in a spoiler. It slows down viewing the topic on mobile quite taxing on the old internet.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23193 on: September 05, 2018, 03:18:22 pm »

Union of Cooperative States

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23194 on: September 05, 2018, 03:55:04 pm »

Dunamidedos, please put that gif in a spoiler. It slows down viewing the topic on mobile quite taxing on the old internet.

Putting it in a spoiler wont decrease the loading times.

I think the forum still has a wap mode. You might want to try that
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23195 on: September 05, 2018, 04:04:54 pm »

You should have an Empire, like us Brits had, or thereabouts. Maybe not exactly the same as our Brit one, but a British Empire nonetheless.

Empire of the American States.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23196 on: September 05, 2018, 04:12:10 pm »

Empire of the American States.
The Amerimperium.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23197 on: September 05, 2018, 05:57:06 pm »

The only good name is the FREEDOM FORCE FIFTY. Each state will be required by law to send one person to be trained as a superhero.

Anyway, the NY Times published an anonymous op-ed by a senior Trump Administration official, calling themselves a member of the "Resistance" within the administration. This person makes clear that they are not part of the left-wing "Resistance movement", but nonetheless are attempting to, in their words, "preserve our democratic institutions".

Trump has denounced the letter as "gutless".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23198 on: September 05, 2018, 06:21:19 pm »

That is a remarkable letter, and shows that there is still hope for reconciliation at the end of this Wonka-esque tunnel ride of political hate.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23199 on: September 05, 2018, 07:03:06 pm »

Finally a bright spot. I am less... Afraid now, of the future than I was before.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23200 on: September 05, 2018, 07:03:48 pm »

I dunno. The fact he feels the need to mention he's continuing to strengthen our "robust" military tells me his heart is still in the wrong place. But I'll take what I can get, eh?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23201 on: September 05, 2018, 07:07:30 pm »

Hopefully that reconcillation doesn't involve pardoning Trump. Ford may have had good intentions and while we'll never know whether things would have been better if Nixon went through the whole trial, it seems like pardoning Trump would just make things worse. Though pardoning Trump would be a double edged sword because it wouldn't stop him from being subopenaeted and he wouldn't be able to use the 5th.

Anyways, meanwhile, Trump is raging about it and demanding that whoever did the op-ed be turned over to the government (or otherwise have their name revealed).

Finally a bright spot. I am less... Afraid now, of the future than I was before.

There are some people who just won't reconcile, but healing is definetly possible.

I dunno. The fact he feels the need to mention he's continuing to strengthen our "robust" military tells me his heart is still in the wrong place. But I'll take what I can get, eh?

Who? The anonymous author?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23202 on: September 05, 2018, 07:16:07 pm »

I'm reminded of FiveThirtyEight's analysis of several projected paths that the presidency could take. They recently did a re-analysis and find that the most likely outcomes, at least as far as seems apparent, were routes 1, 7, and 8.

This was, of course, prior to various events indicating that 12 might actually be a contender.

They did a podcast looking over it a few days ago. Didn't listen to it because hard of hearing :P

That was BEFORE the Woodward exerpts started coming out and then this. It's definetly looking like 12, but hasn't reached the point of constitutional crisis, though I guess in a way it already is since it's pretty unprecedented. Sure, every President gets some resistance, but this is Nixon-is-in-a-drunken-stupor-and-we-must-keep-him-from-doing-dumb-things tier resistance.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23203 on: September 05, 2018, 07:43:43 pm »

As the comments show, this public letter only gives fuel to Trump's "anti-establishment" voters.  I don't see how it accomplishes anything else.  If they're truly working against Trump, this admission only reduces their ability to do so, by making him suspicious.

Imagine if Trump had issued a press release through Sarah Sanders that there are insidious forces within the administration, working against him, responsible for the administrations apparent self-contradictions and failures to enact his policies.

We'd call it old news, because he's always gone on about "the swamp", "establishment", etc.  But here is a supposed part of the establishment, verifying it all.  It's 1984's 2-minute hate.

The anonymous author criticises Trump for unpredictability and "little affinity for ideals long espoused by conservatives: free minds, free markets and free people".  Unpredictability is the "virtue" his base voted for, and the rest is a meaningless "attack" by the establishment on Trump.

When it comes to actual campaign promises, even this nameless villain acknowledges Trump's "victories":
Don’t get me wrong. There are bright spots that the near-ceaseless negative coverage of the administration fails to capture: effective deregulation, historic tax reform, a more robust military and more.

These are terrifying times.

If this is real, then the dissenters need to come forward with the evidence necessary for impeachment - as they claim to have.  This essay only strengthens Trump.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:45:22 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23204 on: September 05, 2018, 07:53:57 pm »

The Democrats have WAY more than plenty of things to use as a basis for impeachment, not like there is a shortage of reasons.

Given what I've read, whoever did the op-ed is going to be outed sooner or later anyway.

However, I agree, they really need to come forward publicly with the evidence.
Pages: 1 ... 1545 1546 [1547] 1548 1549 ... 3568