Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1529 1530 [1531] 1532 1533 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242038 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22950 on: August 27, 2018, 12:53:38 pm »

Trump declared today that he is canceling the North American Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA, and replacing it with the US and Mexico trade agreement that also includes Canada maybe.

I'm assuming that Trump fired the guy who normally comes up with names for these things.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22951 on: August 27, 2018, 12:59:22 pm »

Trump declared today that he is canceling the North American Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA, and replacing it with the US and Mexico trade agreement that also includes Canada maybe.

I'm assuming that Trump fired the guy who normally comes up with names for these things.
UAMTATAICM? (the question mark is part of the name)

Also, the news I'm seeing says that we've reached a deal to modify NAFTA, not cancel it. Maybe someone just told him we were cancelling it, so he'd go play with his kids' menu while the grownups work out the hard parts.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22952 on: August 27, 2018, 01:00:16 pm »

So he's replacing NAFTA with NAFTA basically?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22953 on: August 27, 2018, 01:10:20 pm »

Sounds like it, maybe minus Canada.

Maybe he decided to just rebrand it and hope nobody notices that it's still pretty much NAFTA.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22954 on: August 27, 2018, 01:10:48 pm »

Also, in the category of "passive-aggressive shitting in someone's open coffin":
The White House flag was lowered to half-staff for about 36 hours, then raised back to full, turgid, throbbing rigidity just after midnight while the Capitol flag (and most flags across the country) remain at half-staff.

Also, Kelli Ward, one of the GOP candidates running to replace McCain, is claiming that McCain's announcement that he was discontinuing treatment was specifically timed to hurt her campaign ahead of tomorrow's primary.

She followed this up by tweeting today, "Political correctness is like a cancer!" >_<

As much as I'd like to say that a tone-deaf comment like that would deep-six her campaign, at this point she's really just taking refuge in audacity and courting the far-right, who are busy celebrating McCain's death. She's also a doctor, prompting at least one response to that tweet that should be enshrined somewhere:

"Physician, go fuck thyself."

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22955 on: August 27, 2018, 01:31:53 pm »

and 40-45% of those workers must make at least $16/hour. That's about all we really have on it.
Setting wage floors in a trade treaty?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22956 on: August 27, 2018, 01:33:37 pm »

"Free American-North Trade Agreement" - oh so orangey?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22957 on: August 27, 2018, 01:34:12 pm »

Also, Kelli Ward, one of the GOP candidates running to replace McCain, is claiming that McCain's announcement that he was discontinuing treatment was specifically timed to hurt her campaign ahead of tomorrow's primary.

It's basically the same kind of selfishness as 'couldn't you have died at a time more convenient for me?'. *rolls eyes*

"Free American-North Trade Agreement" - oh so orangey?

hehe

I suppose he'll have to come up with a new acronym to describe the bloc of trade agreements which is still pretty much NAFTA, just three separate agreements. Though I wonder if he'll bristle when he finds out that the trade agreement between Canada and Mexico ends up/is percieved as being unfavorable to the US and then demand that the US have input on that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:38:27 pm by smjjames »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22958 on: August 27, 2018, 01:44:38 pm »

I suppose he'll have to come up with a new acronym to describe the bloc of trade agreements which is still pretty much NAFTA, just three separate agreements. Though I wonder if he'll bristle when he finds out that the trade agreement between Canada and Mexico ends up/is percieved as being unfavorable to the US and then demand that the US have input on that.

Oh, he's going to demand that Jeff Sessions stop the Canadians using their border slingshots to fire bowling balls through American cars in Mexico in order to gestate their turkeys.

Seriously, I don't think we can expect any of the noises coming from Trump's mouth to bear any specific relation to reality for the foreseeable future. Between Cohen and Manafort he's apparently fully unraveled, and the game plan is just to keep him quarantined in rallies to postpone his inevitable firing spree until after the midterms.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22959 on: August 27, 2018, 02:42:57 pm »

The ACA still exists tho?  All they did is remove the individual mandate.

That's like being pro-airplanes, but against wings.
Regardless, Obamacare lives on in spite of that (you know, Obamacare was possibly one of the worst written pieces of legislation in recent memory; it was rushed and all the legal problems it had reflect that; and despite that it's still alive). So Obamacare is still around, in spite of two years of GOP control.

UAMTATAICM? (the question mark is part of the name)

Also, the news I'm seeing says that we've reached a deal to modify NAFTA, not cancel it. Maybe someone just told him we were cancelling it, so he'd go play with his kids' menu while the grownups work out the hard parts.
That's true: Trump declaring something and something different happening is by no means mutually exclusive.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22960 on: August 27, 2018, 02:47:12 pm »

The WH flag is back to half staff. I wonder who admonished Trump enough that he begrudgingly put it back?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22961 on: August 27, 2018, 02:57:09 pm »

He's just saying he cancelled it to score points with the know-nothings that support him and won't bother to fact check what actually happened.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22962 on: August 27, 2018, 03:01:08 pm »

That's pretty much what I thought with the rebrand, simply rename it and hope people don't look too closely and realize that nothing much actually changed.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22963 on: August 27, 2018, 04:27:54 pm »

That's pretty much what I thought with the rebrand, simply rename it and hope people don't look too closely and realize that nothing much actually changed.

He basically said that, yeah. It won’t be named NAFTA ‘cause someone else came up with the name so Trump can’t take credit for it it has bad connotations
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22964 on: August 27, 2018, 04:38:22 pm »

Also do we discuss the Papacy here? Or is that more a europol thread thing? Because's there's a lot going on in that particular sphere...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1529 1530 [1531] 1532 1533 ... 3568