Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1509 1510 [1511] 1512 1513 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242243 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22650 on: August 16, 2018, 07:43:44 pm »

Also, was Japan communist? ‘cause I don’t think they were Communist. Then again I haven’t read/watched whatever that came from, so I guess y’all are more interested in discussing irony instead of politics in the politics thread.

How else do we get to be pointlessly, axiomatically right about things?

Think of the egos, man!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22651 on: August 16, 2018, 08:27:33 pm »

And where would we be without repeatedly jumping in to pontificate about how everyone else's discussion is beneath us?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22652 on: August 16, 2018, 08:28:54 pm »

Hip deep in blackjack and hookers, presumably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22653 on: August 16, 2018, 08:32:10 pm »

I think he was being ironic.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22654 on: August 16, 2018, 09:19:07 pm »

Proper irony is just sarcasm
Exactly, if you can't replace "ironically" with "sarcastically" then you're literally as awful as someone who uses literally while doing that vocal fry shit. Socratic irony is acceptable when you have a suitable audience based scenario, but situational irony is just a way of saying "that's so weird and/or quirky, mirite" by polluting the use until you get shit like hipsters claiming they're wearing ironic clothing... how the fuck is a goddamn shirt ironic? What is the literal intention of a shirt?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22655 on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:48 pm »

Also this is your timely reminder that kings have been democratically elected for longer than they have been inherited. Nothing prevents monarchies from being democratic! Well, except the outvoted monarch, possibly...
Which monarchs are you refering to here?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22656 on: August 16, 2018, 09:30:03 pm »

Shirts are ironic when the meaning of the shirt is opposite of what is stated. That means you wear a shirt of something you don't like, or you're making the opposite social statement to what the item presents. Like wearing a MAGA hat to a meetup when everyone knows you hate trump. Wearing the hat is sarcastic, therefore it fits the bill perfectly for the irony = sarcasm definition.

A word or phrase by itself isn't "ironic" or "sarcastic": it's the context. Irony and sarcasm aren't inherent in the thing itself.

Similarly a shirt, by itself, isn't what's ironic, but the choice to wear it, social context and who you are all convey different messages. It's within that informational context where irony comes into play.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:39:10 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22657 on: August 16, 2018, 09:32:19 pm »

Somebody (I think Starver) made a fantastic post a while back with words of which the meaning has changed over time and I am sad I cannot find it.

PPE: I never really see the point of wearing something ironically. Buying something to be ironic is he same as buying something you wear unironically.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22658 on: August 16, 2018, 09:35:28 pm »

Somebody (I think Starver) made a fantastic post a while back with words of which the meaning has changed over time and I am sad I cannot find it.

PPE: I never really see the point of wearing something ironically. Buying something to be ironic is he same as buying something you wear unironically.

This one?
No, you do not get to redefine words to suit your whims.

An awareness of linguistic drift would suggest that not only do they get to do exactly that, they have a gay old time doing so, if not incontinently. It's a continuous process: some hep cat comes up with a neologism, the villains start repeating it, and off we go; what may start as a spur-of-the-moment construction or even an unintentional boner can end up becoming vulgarly accepted, and suddenly everyone insisting on the old way comes off as a right boob.

But hey, by all means, stand at the seashore and order back the tide.

You literally started that off the best way possible. Like, literally and literally.

* hector13 gets his coat

I am sad I was late to the bandwagon.

Also, toilets. Everybody does (literal) shit they don’t want other people to see or hear in there, what does it matter what you have between your legs when you’re doing it? Fuck feminism, man; evacuation equality is what we need. The term might need work, but whatever.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22659 on: August 16, 2018, 09:37:53 pm »

That one.

You will henceforth be known as Starver. I mean we’re all Pathos anyway, so we’re all Starver and Trekkin and hector13 and so on.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22660 on: August 16, 2018, 09:51:25 pm »

But perhaps Starver is simply an aspect of Pathos; it would stand to reason that, while we are all Pathos, we aren't all the same part of Pathos.

Also I would absolutely order back the tide if it would ever listen. Tragically this is as of yet a flaw in our oceans, but perhaps with time and science this may be corrected for future generations.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22661 on: August 16, 2018, 09:59:32 pm »

Pretty (not) sure all you'd have to do is blow up the moon. Once the deorbiting death hail finishes landing, survivors won't have to deal with the tide anymore! Plus we'd have like all the moon rocks and that'd be great, right? Somewhat burnt, but hey.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22662 on: August 16, 2018, 10:00:08 pm »

Also I would absolutely order back the tide if it would ever listen. Tragically this is as of yet a flaw in our oceans, but perhaps with time and science this may be corrected for future generations.

We would solve the problem today if the solution was somehow profitable within the next quarter.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22663 on: August 16, 2018, 10:02:50 pm »

Also this is your timely reminder that kings have been democratically elected for longer than they have been inherited. Nothing prevents monarchies from being democratic! Well, except the outvoted monarch, possibly...
Which monarchs are you refering to here?

I'm curious on this too.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22664 on: August 16, 2018, 10:04:02 pm »

Probably oner them Scandinavian monarchs. Totes don’t count.

Pages: 1 ... 1509 1510 [1511] 1512 1513 ... 3568