Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1505 1506 [1507] 1508 1509 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241712 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22590 on: August 14, 2018, 06:48:47 pm »

The idea that he would get off with not guilty (or even a hung jury) on all counts is worrying.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22591 on: August 14, 2018, 07:07:20 pm »

Isn't a hung jury the same as mistrial? In both cases they can just retry I think?

I'm guessing they're very confident in the makeup of the jury pool. And I suppose the way things are now the best we can probably expect is a hung jury anyways. Nobody actually gives a shit about malfeasance when they're just trying to thumb their nose at the other side.

Theres nothing in the jury pool that makes me think that the best we can expect is a hung jury, at least as far as what I know about it. If you mean politics by 'other side', they're supposed to put politics aside, but there is an inescapable political undercurrent here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22592 on: August 14, 2018, 07:17:39 pm »

Isn't a hung jury the same as mistrial? In both cases they can just retry I think?

It is. But it would basically exonerate Trump in the eyes of his supporters, and I think there would be less overall support for another go at Manafort in the public's mind. And possibly any further prosecutions.

I'm guessing they're very confident in the makeup of the jury pool. And I suppose the way things are now the best we can probably expect is a hung jury anyways. Nobody actually gives a shit about malfeasance when they're just trying to thumb their nose at the other side.

Theres nothing in the jury pool that makes me think that the best we can expect is a hung jury, at least as far as what I know about it. If you mean politics by 'other side', they're supposed to put politics aside, but there is an inescapable political undercurrent here.

I would have thought a lot of things lately should put aside politics, but that ain't happened in a lot of instances. If we can't expect a jury of people's peers to actually care about the facts of the case, expecting them to the go the extra mile and also put aside their politics against the facts of the case is even less likely to happen.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22593 on: August 14, 2018, 07:37:58 pm »

Theres still another one in September, and that one is supposed to be more on his connections with Russia and stuff.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22594 on: August 14, 2018, 08:30:18 pm »

Or that they really don't think they can win, but want to look like they think they can just in case they somehow do.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22595 on: August 14, 2018, 08:33:54 pm »

Knowing who they're an 'ally' of, maybe the relevant summing up will be "FAKE PROSECUTION! THE MAINSTREAM WITNESSES ARE IN LEAGUE WITH THE DEEP COURT! WE ACTUALLY HAVE HAD THE BIGGEST AFFIDAVITS! JUROR EMPLOYMENT HAS INCREASED THANKS TO US!"...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22596 on: August 14, 2018, 08:38:48 pm »

Yea that's a good point there ispil. I guess it remains to be seen just what they'll try to defend with in the closing statements, probably try to obsfucate or something as that's about the only trick they have left.

If the jury does find him guilty, hopefully they find him guilty of all charges just to not give Trump even a sliver of a victory to grab onto.

Hopefully it doesn't take real long for the jury to come to a decision.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22597 on: August 14, 2018, 08:40:08 pm »

Yea that's a good point there ispil. I guess it remains to be seen just what they'll try to defend with in the closing statements, probably try to obsfucate or something as that's about the only trick they have left.

If the jury does find him guilty, hopefully they find him guilty of all charges just to not give Trump even a sliver of a victory to grab onto.
Eh, he'll make a handle. "PAUL MANAFORT, CAMPAIGN COFFEE BOY, HAS NEVER JAYWALKED A DAY IN HIS LIFE!!"
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22598 on: August 15, 2018, 12:12:45 am »

Honestly, they might just be planning on losing the case and having Trump pardon him on all charges. It's not like that'd be hard to spin as a "victory against the Deep State" and would fit the persecution complex of the alt-right base Trump panders so hard to way better than just beating us libtards straight up.

Sure, every rational person in America would be outraged, but that's nothing new. Hasn't been since 2016.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22599 on: August 15, 2018, 12:46:54 am »

He's got unpardonable state charges too.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22600 on: August 15, 2018, 12:57:03 am »

The Trump campaign is suing Omarosa for breach of contract, specifically a non-disclosure agreement. This seems a bit iffy to me, since it’s a political campaign, which should be as transparent as is humanly possible, yes?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22601 on: August 15, 2018, 01:11:20 am »

I'm pretty sure the non-disclosure agreements are unenforceable. I do see a problem with recording things in these meetings, don't know the legality of that though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22602 on: August 15, 2018, 07:09:18 am »

The NDAs are both unenforceable (on multiple different levels, from what I understand; on top of other problems with them apparently federal employees are some sort of exception to them sticking,* though I haven't paid attention to the details) and frankly a nasty trap for trump/the white house even if they weren't.

The thing about NDAs is their punitive aspect works off damages. Monetary damages. Which would have to be proven. I.e. trump would have to provide proof he's profiting off his position as POTUS to get anything out of anyone that signed the pointless things.

*E: More specifically, as near as I can tell the extent a NDA can be applied to a former federal employee speaking on unclassified subjects is "not". By firing omarosa (or any other person that's been a federal and maybe political in general employee), pretty much any NDA that was agreed to became void. The POTUS cannot legally censor the speech of a former employee speaking about what they experienced during their job save regarding matters formally classified. First amendment's a bit of a bastard of a thing that doesn't quite apply to the government like it does to non-government entities~
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:17:59 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22603 on: August 15, 2018, 08:08:01 am »

The POTUS cannot legally censor the speech of a former employee speaking about what they experienced during their job save regarding matters formally classified. First amendment's a bit of a bastard of a thing that doesn't quite apply to the government like it does to non-government entities

POTUS cannot, no. Trump can have employees of his organization/campaign sign NDAs, since unless and until he's President, they're not yet federal employees. That is what happened here, since Omarosa signed such an NDA while employed by the campaign; that NDA was just written to broadly prevent any criticism of Trump at any time, including during his Presidency and afterwards.

Insofar as she's speaking about her experiences as a federal employee, there are almost certainly grounds for piercing the veil, but there's still ambiguity over how that interacts with the full scope of the agreement.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22604 on: August 15, 2018, 08:31:16 am »

*shrugs* It would still have to prove damages, far as I'm aware, or have a stipulated penalty fee* or somethin'. Basically not something omarosa (or much of anyone else) really has to worry about, heh. NDAs only have so much teeth at the end of the day.

* Number of people willing to cover that for stuff on the tangerine shitgibbon: Probably larger than his inauguration crowd.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1505 1506 [1507] 1508 1509 ... 3568