Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1487 1488 [1489] 1490 1491 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230738 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22320 on: August 07, 2018, 02:32:08 pm »

You fixed the 'rtade typo but not the 'VS' typo? heh, just ribbing ya a little.

We'll have to see if it's just hot rhetoric from Trump or if he actually follows through or other countries threaten to follow through. I'm betting that it's just hot rhetoric as he's done similar rhetoric before without actually following through.

Blockchain is basically just a method of making data public and "secure" at the same time. What are they doing to make sure people's votes are confidential? I feel like the conservative crowd is probably all about that.

Honestly Blockchain seems like the least secure way to do that. It seems rely on public scrutiny for security, which seems like it will get the same results as when you ask the internet to name a boat, or a school.

The confidentiality as far as identity is probably the easiest part, making sure it can't be traced to a specific person or location would be a different challenge, and it's important for the proccess to have transparency.

The challenge is balancing transparency vs security.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22321 on: August 07, 2018, 02:54:43 pm »

I'm no expert though, thanks for humoring me on the tech side of things. I'm also super cynical about what I trust people as a whole to do, so my mental image is of people hunting each other in the street with harpoons because someone released the town's voting records on the internet.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22322 on: August 07, 2018, 03:21:57 pm »

Had some Blockchain developers at my work space. They talked a loud game, trashed their offices and left without paying rent.

Blockchain is an unproven tech that is a giant fucking unicorn.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22323 on: August 07, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »

That is sort of what it read like to me? It sounds like it's a cloud sort of thing that everyone can see and since everyone can see it noone will mess with it, we can trust them because more people = more accountability.

Which to me is not how human works.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22324 on: August 07, 2018, 03:30:36 pm »

Unproven tech as far as voting systems in the US go anyway. I know there's a few places which do use online voting for elections, but I haven't heard of any of them using blockchain.

That is sort of what it read like to me? It sounds like it's a cloud sort of thing that everyone can see and since everyone can see it noone will mess with it, we can trust them because more people = more accountability.

If they're treating it like a normal online poll, they're going the wrong way about it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22325 on: August 07, 2018, 03:40:45 pm »

If they're treating it like a normal online poll, they're going the wrong way about it.

Or maybe it's the right way? We may finally get Hank the Angry Drunk Dwarf (Deceased) as commander-in-chief.

You never know, might be an improvement.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22326 on: August 07, 2018, 04:17:38 pm »

Pfft, they're claiming that they're using blockchain when they aren't actually using it?
Related?: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/21/companies-shares-soar-adding-blockchain-names/

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22327 on: August 07, 2018, 04:30:04 pm »

I know enough about Blockchain to say that while it's proponents have a decent case for saying it's 'tamper-proof,' every 'tamper-proof' system up until now has been broken, and I have no reason to believe blockchain is any different.

It's certainly not been proven enough to trust an election to it, especially when the last major election showed that adversarial agents can already do some wonky tampering from left-field already. Why give them yet another field to play in that hasn't been truly tested yet?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22328 on: August 07, 2018, 04:50:13 pm »

Theres no evidence that they actually changed any vote numbers, which would be trickier and more high risk than the methods they actually are using, but yes, I agree that the risk of hacking is too high to use a system on a large scale that hasn't been thoroughly tested and vetted yet.

While private companies do have their role to play, it seems like only the government really has the resources to develop and vet a system that would be online and still be secure, maybe some sort of DARPA-like challenge or something. Never going to happen with Trump being like that GIF with the dog in a hat and drinking coffee while the surroundings are on fire while saying 'this is fine'.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22329 on: August 07, 2018, 04:53:57 pm »

Can we just drop all this silliness and go back to paper ballots, please? I mean, yes, they can be foiled by party balloons. But at least it's not a single point of failure. Any attempt to make major changes has to be widespread and organized with many actors involved.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22330 on: August 07, 2018, 05:05:19 pm »

Theres no evidence that they actually changed any vote numbers, which would be trickier and more high risk than the methods they actually are using, but yes, I agree that the risk of hacking is too high to use a system on a large scale that hasn't been thoroughly tested and vetted yet.

While private companies do have their role to play, it seems like only the government really has the resources to develop and vet a system that would be online and still be secure, maybe some sort of DARPA-like challenge or something. Never going to happen with Trump being like that GIF with the dog in a hat and drinking coffee while the surroundings are on fire while saying 'this is fine'.

I'm thinking more like the dog in a lab coat (?) with the caption "I have no idea what I'm doing".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22331 on: August 07, 2018, 05:17:43 pm »

Electronic voting doesn't inherently have a single point of failure, this implementation was just... dramatically insecure and arguably dishonest about their process.

Paper ballots are falsiable too - heck the system expects counts to be off by a large margin, hence the expectation of recounts.  Having actual paper in a bunch of piles throughout the country is false security
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22332 on: August 07, 2018, 05:25:06 pm »

Can we just drop all this silliness and go back to paper ballots, please? I mean, yes, they can be foiled by party balloons. But at least it's not a single point of failure. Any attempt to make major changes has to be widespread and organized with many actors involved.

Paper ballots led to the whole hanging chads debacle in 2000, no system is going to be 100% infallible. You do have a point in that any major changes have to be done in an organized fashion, which is why only the government really has the resources (and authority) to do that.

I'm thinking more like the dog in a lab coat (?) with the caption "I have no idea what I'm doing".

I was referencing Trump's attitude towards the problem, not his cluelessness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22333 on: August 07, 2018, 05:25:59 pm »

The only truly secure method is to put a hyper intelligent AI in charge of discovering the preferences of every single person in the country.
It might end up cutting some heads open with diamond blades just to be sure it got the right answer, but it'll work.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22334 on: August 07, 2018, 05:42:10 pm »

Christ, Egan, why don’t you just give the AI the keys to the missile silos while you’re at it?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 1487 1488 [1489] 1490 1491 ... 3567