Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1486 1487 [1488] 1489 1490 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230473 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22305 on: August 07, 2018, 11:12:27 am »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22306 on: August 07, 2018, 11:31:44 am »

I've read that it was just for those serving overseas with residence in WV. However, given the whole election meddling and the vulnerabilities with online voting, I'd say that unless they can guarantee for sure that it's secure and that they have multiple plans and backups to detect compromization of it, then it's best to be very cautious with it.

On the surface, it's a great idea and I like the idea myself, but there are serious cybersecurity issues that need to be handled.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22307 on: August 07, 2018, 11:50:21 am »

I've read that it was just for those serving overseas with residence in WV. However, given the whole election meddling and the vulnerabilities with online voting, I'd say that unless they can guarantee for sure that it's secure and that they have multiple plans and backups to detect compromization of it, then it's best to be very cautious with it.

On the surface, it's a great idea and I like the idea myself, but there are serious cybersecurity issues that need to be handled.
I'm pretty sure the description "2018 startup with $2m funding" should remove any fears, and replace them with abject terror.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22308 on: August 07, 2018, 12:43:52 pm »

Michigan primary is today. I'm planning on voting for Abdul El-Sayed. Hope he wins.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:48:52 pm by redwallzyl »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22309 on: August 07, 2018, 12:47:16 pm »

Autocorrect's pretty pessimistic today.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22310 on: August 07, 2018, 12:49:03 pm »

Autocorrect's pretty pessimistic today.
Haha, fixed it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22311 on: August 07, 2018, 12:59:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure the description "2018 startup with $2m funding" should remove any fears, and replace them with abject terror.

I liked the part where they tried the system at a Utah Republican convention vote of about 1400 people. It went completely unresponsive there and they had to resort to paper ballots.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22312 on: August 07, 2018, 01:06:33 pm »

'Blockchain is tamper-proof!' should be met with the same skepticism as 'it's unsinkable!'
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22313 on: August 07, 2018, 01:16:05 pm »

It could theoretically be a good argument if they were actually using blockchain.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22314 on: August 07, 2018, 01:25:39 pm »

Pfft, they're claiming that they're using blockchain when they aren't actually using it?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22315 on: August 07, 2018, 01:25:50 pm »

Considering how the current election machines are... is this new-fangled voting thing any worse?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22316 on: August 07, 2018, 01:33:05 pm »

Pfft, they're claiming that they're using blockchain when they aren't actually using it?
I'm basing that off this particular tweet: https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1026616922752929792
Which is basically just a link to this explanation: https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2018/06/05/the-west-virginia-voatz-blockchain-voting-pilot-another-single-user-blockchain-as-a-database/

I don't know as much about blockchain/cryptocurrency as a friend of mine, but I bet they're *technically* using a blockchain system...  Like how you can use SQL to store a simple spreadsheet.
She/they

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22317 on: August 07, 2018, 01:40:15 pm »

Given the threat of potentially hacking the electronic votes, they still really need a second method of verification that the inputted vote is actually what the voter input.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22318 on: August 07, 2018, 02:08:04 pm »

Damn, Trump has threatened that 'anyone that trades with Iran, can not trade with the VS'
EU not gonna like that, nor China, Russia, India or Turkey.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/trump-tegen-de-rest-wie-zaken-doet-met-iran-kan-geen-zaken-doen-met-de-verenigde-staten-~b22ae525/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:14:21 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22319 on: August 07, 2018, 02:22:06 pm »

Blockchain is basically just a method of making data public and "secure" at the same time. What are they doing to make sure people's votes are confidential? I feel like the conservative crowd is probably all about that.

Honestly Blockchain seems like the least secure way to do that. It seems rely on public scrutiny for security, which seems like it will get the same results as when you ask the internet to name a boat, or a school.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 1486 1487 [1488] 1489 1490 ... 3567