Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1484 1485 [1486] 1487 1488 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230152 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22275 on: August 04, 2018, 11:05:38 pm »

A little known clause of the START treaties limited how many magic users could be employed by both the United States and the Soviet Union(now Russia). It also provided for regular oversight by either side to the opposition's stockpile of magical reagents.

While limitations on magical use by Russia and the US are well documented and both countries are held to the treaties, the other 3 major magical powers are only held to self imposed limitations. The UK in particular is known for playing loose with its own rules, but to date no known major incidents have occurred tied to them. France, while having a history of elaborate tests to show off their magical might, is unlikely to have been involved in any recent occurrences. China, on the other hand, holds their magical cards close to their chest. It's assumed they only have a token magical stockpile, more or less to ensure they're still taken seriously. However they're also watched much less closely than the other major powers involved in magical development.

If it were me, I'd be looking less for signs of a warlock and more for a geomancer of the feng shui variety.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22276 on: August 05, 2018, 12:14:47 am »

Who?
Trump wants to drain the swamp, which isn't particularly conservative.
That was something he said, yes. He says a lot of things.

A little known clause of the START treaties limited how many magic users could be employed by both the United States and the Soviet Union(now Russia). It also provided for regular oversight by either side to the opposition's stockpile of magical reagents.

While limitations on magical use by Russia and the US are well documented and both countries are held to the treaties, the other 3 major magical powers are only held to self imposed limitations. The UK in particular is known for playing loose with its own rules, but to date no known major incidents have occurred tied to them. France, while having a history of elaborate tests to show off their magical might, is unlikely to have been involved in any recent occurrences. China, on the other hand, holds their magical cards close to their chest. It's assumed they only have a token magical stockpile, more or less to ensure they're still taken seriously. However they're also watched much less closely than the other major powers involved in magical development.

If it were me, I'd be looking less for signs of a warlock and more for a geomancer of the feng shui variety.

Where is MSH when we need him (unless I've gone senile and it was someone else doing those all along).

In any case, I think the focus has moved from the threat of the big powers to the magical capabilities of minor states, rogue states, and the supernatural international terrorist organizations (SITO for short). While any magic that could be deployed by these groups would likely be limited in scope and unlikely to touch off a full-on magical exchange or occult war, the devestation would be far disproportionate to the numbers involved. And it is difficult to ensure that every single magic is tracked: all you need is one Russian warlock with gambling debts to go missing and you have a crisis on your hands.

Any news on the disnecromantization of the Korean peninsula, incidentally?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:17:45 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22277 on: August 05, 2018, 01:15:00 am »

They’re not disnecromantizing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22278 on: August 05, 2018, 05:51:57 am »

I hear they're still secretly breeding bulgae, with a gwisin work-force.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22279 on: August 05, 2018, 05:55:20 am »

They’re not disnecromantizing.

They are, then they're not, then they are again. They may have necromancers, but they really don't have the astrologists to determine when the stars are actually right to disnecromantize.

Not that it's a huge deal, they could never get the zombie flight enchantment working properly anyways.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22280 on: August 05, 2018, 07:17:13 am »

Where is MSH when we need him (unless I've gone senile and it was someone else doing those all along).
Sorry, I've been busy with work and hating work. Not too much time for writing or posting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22281 on: August 05, 2018, 02:28:21 pm »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna850296
Literally the first result I got on Google.

As for the form and effectiveness of Russian hacking, I’m on my phone so I’ll keep it short by my standards.  Its not just memeing.  Its manufacturing divisive news articles and using getting them to the top of google/other search engines using SEO.  Its finding journalists and swing voters and exploiting ad algorithms (for example FB let’s you send ads as narrowly as to one person) and exposing them to content that will change what they say to other people.  Its possible to send Ohio democrats political ads about Hillary being too liberal and Ohio Republicans ads about her being too conservative and neither will ever see the other’s ads.

More to the point its using botnets and trolls to create the illusion of concensus, an illusion you guys are still buying despite all evidence to the contrary.
That is memeing. I wasn't talking about internet maymays that vanish like smoke every two weeks, I was talking about actual memetic warfare. Controlling information flow to encourage internal conflict and split divides further. Dispensation of fake ads in a very particular way to make it seem like the other side is greedily suckling the teat of ignorance, when there really isn't any other side at all. Creating images that stick in the head and worry away at tiny little psychological cues.

Creating facebook SHILLARY memes is only part of it. Making sure as many people as possible watch and trust Alex Jones, or at least look like they do to liberals, is another. It was a mass media campaign in the vein of air dropping flyers in hostile territory, except far more subtle and directed. Such a thing has only really become feasible on this scale and with this fidelity recently, so I can only hope this woke the FBI or CIA up to the threat it poses and now they're engaging in counter-operations to keep it from happening again. Otherwise, we're going to have to trust the Zucc. And he's like the worst alien invader since Zim.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22282 on: August 05, 2018, 02:37:04 pm »

Are you using meme in the sense of the SCP wiki and MGS 1?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22283 on: August 05, 2018, 02:38:41 pm »

THE MEMES, JACK

but yes that's what meme means

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22284 on: August 06, 2018, 09:26:15 am »

Trump admitting to colluding with the Russians isn't particularly noteworthy, I guess.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22285 on: August 06, 2018, 09:34:42 am »

What did he say?
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22286 on: August 06, 2018, 09:35:57 am »

He admits he didn’t know about the meeting, but the meeting was to gain information on an opponent from a foreign national.

It also is essentially him admitting he lied when he first said anything about it.

He says his son is wonderful, but he’s more than happy to drop him in the shit, apparently.

Still have the link saved apparently cool
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22287 on: August 06, 2018, 12:29:49 pm »

I don't mean to be a downer, but let's not get too excited yet. The situation can be summed up in this part of the article:

Mr Trump's Sunday tweet appears to contradict a previous statement from the Trump camp about the meeting.

I fully expect that he could be tried and hanged via video evidence and would be screaming fake news as they tied the noose.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22288 on: August 06, 2018, 04:12:48 pm »

"Rumors of my death are hugely over reported. Sad!"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22289 on: August 06, 2018, 04:16:10 pm »

Mr Trump's Sunday tweet appears to contradict a previous statement from the Trump camp about the meeting.
That is basically Trump summed up.
Pages: 1 ... 1484 1485 [1486] 1487 1488 ... 3567