Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1475 1476 [1477] 1478 1479 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228301 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22140 on: July 31, 2018, 07:55:55 am »

Regarding the economy, it's all Reagan's fault.

I'm not going to argue that that particular topic didn't contribute to the current status.

But that article stinks of "silver bullet syndrome". It tries to take a relatively unknown factor of the economy and lay out all the ills onto it entirely, as if just fixing this one thing would be what fixes everything. I see this a lot in news articles where someone needs to write about a major issue in the world, but they don't want to tread the same ground everyone else has been, so they look desperately for something else that's connected but not reported on and then often have to bend their story around their new thing and the major topic so the new thing sounds a lot worse than it actually is.

Again, that article makes a pretty good case for why buybacks under certain conditions are bad. But it also does very little for suggesting when buybacks might be good, or give any voice at all to other factors which might be the cause.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22141 on: July 31, 2018, 08:09:28 am »

Yeah, fully agree. The article might have a point, but it's not at all a balanced article looking at the pros and cons of business decisions, it's a hit piece looking to list all the things wrong with it.

Some of the complaints in the article are actually contradictory. For example, the author blasts the buybacks as "short term thinking" for the benefit of owners, but this doesn't make a lot of sense. Benefit of which owners exactly? If the company is worth $6 billion but buys back $1 billion in shares, the net worth of the company is reduced to $5 billion, and other people in the market are aware of this fact so the effect on the share price will be temporary and/or limited. The owners who sold their shares merely get the market price for their sold shares.

Shares are a form of liability for a company: value that is owed to someone else. In this case, companies have excess cash, so they're using it to reduce their future liabilities. This is not the much-hated "short term thinking" at all. They are taking on debt to pay down their share-liabilities purely because federal interest rates are so low: it's cheaper to pay the future interest than the future dividends. In fact, without the law allowing shares to be bought back, companies might never have issued those shares in the first place, and would have had to rely on the middle-man of the banks for their expansion capital in the first place. Nobody would begrudge the same company "paying down debt" purely because we phrase that differently.

Giving raises now, while doing nothing to reduce future dividend liabilities would be the irresponsible short-term thinking. And the reason is that the argument doesn't take into account the whole time these companies have been in operation. If they're going to do so now, they would have done so from the start: prioritized short-term raises over long-term debt/liability reduction. And the end result of that policy wouldn't have been higher wages in the long term at all, because making bigger outlays now (or in the past) must be calculated with compound interest.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:07:03 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22142 on: July 31, 2018, 09:18:28 am »

That's not quite how it works, though. If a company is worth $6 billion and buys back $1 billion in shares, the value of the shares remaining go up; now the company is worth $10 billion.

how are you working that figure out?

http://business.inquirer.net/238377/share-buybacks-affect-stock-prices

At first glance, it will appear that stock buybacks create value for the company because dividing the same net income with fewer shares available in the market increases the Earnings per Share (EPS) of the stock. A higher EPS leads to a higher share price.

But a closer look at this market notion shows that an increase in EPS from buybacks does not necessarily increase the stock price. In fact, stock buybacks lead to lower valuation because cash is spent to buy the shares.

At best, the existing net profits are split between the remaining shareholders. So for the $6 billion down to $5 billion example, the share price would rise 20%, not 100%. However, that 20% increase would in fact be lower due to the fact that the $1 billion in cash that was spent can no longer be invested otherwise, so has some further income-lowering effect.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:22:28 am by Reelya »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22143 on: July 31, 2018, 09:44:32 am »

I always assumed it was so they would have to pay out less dividends over the long run, but I'm not sure that actually works out if the stock price goes up as a result of the buybacks since I think dividend payments are usually based on the stock price.  There are other benefits too though, such as simply having less of the company's ownership floating around and up for grabs, and it's presumably easier to issue more shares in the future to raise money if there are less of them out already.

I would assume that the buybacks would increase stock values artificially and temporarily just through market pressures though.  If there is a lot of pressure to buy the stocks, then people can sell them at higher prices.  My understanding is that offers to sell stocks go in order of cheapest to most expensive, so if people have sell orders in place at a value above the current market price but a company puts in an order to buy a ton back, the cheap orders could get filled and it starts to get up to the more expensive ones.  The stock price then becomes whatever the last sold value is, which is now higher.  Inertia could then keep the stock price at that point.

Quote from: Ispil
Look, I won't pretend to understand how the hell the stock market works.

Worth pointing out that I'm in the same boat, really, so take the above with the proverbial grain of salt.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22144 on: July 31, 2018, 09:58:59 am »

My only experience with stock is Employee Stock Purchase Schemes (a bit of a diddle, in both directions), which don't even give dividends. Or, if they do, they never made it to me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22145 on: July 31, 2018, 11:00:48 am »

My only experience with stock is Employee Stock Purchase Schemes (a bit of a diddle, in both directions), which don't even give dividends. Or, if they do, they never made it to me.

Dividends are only one means of getting value from shares. Another one is that shares tend to value ahead of inflation. A good spread of shares is overall better than a bank balance in maintaining value, which is why people get shares.

Indexed funds are the ones that have the wide spread of shares (matching general long-term market growth) and are much safer than the speculative types of funds, which pull people in with the promise of big returns, but don't really tell you of the much higher associated risks. In fact, I read somewhere that the vast majority of professional investors fail to "beat the market" (share prices grow over time by themselves anyway), effectively ripping off their clients and returning some return, but lower than just picking a wide spread of stocks yourself.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:09:26 am by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22146 on: July 31, 2018, 12:15:39 pm »

If any economics majors want to chime in I'll defer, but from what I understand companies are buying back stocks because the stock market is awful.

1.  The stock market has become something akin to legalized gambling, for example with day traders who buy stocks and sell them within a single day.  There's also plenty of perfectly legal services where you for example bet a stock will lose value and if it gains value you have to pay the difference no matter how much it is.  That's not investment.
2.  Computer trading is perfectly legal.  Computers can submit hundreds of buy orders in a second for a tiny fraction of a stock and then sell them within a minute.  There's all sorts of shenanigans you can do, from lightning fast day trading for pennies to, for example, submitting so many buy orders in such a short time that it intentionally causes the computers running the NYC stock exchange to lag.
3.  US companies used to present 5 year plans to shareholders.  Now they're expected to produce growth every year.  Its not even yearly, they're expected to have good quarterly profits too.   That's just not realistic, sometimes things go wrong and there's no point to freaking out and getting desperate because your profitable business had a bad quarterly report.  I don't think CEOs like getting yelled at anymore than the rest of us.

The original purpose of the stock market was to essentially democratize the investment process and have mommy and daddy from the corner store pitch in their pennies to Microsoft.  That's not what it is anymore, its gambling and the actual investment is an increasingly disappointing rich person's game.  Since rich people have other means of investing, publically trading has become devoid of purpose.  So to summarize, when the companies traded publically they gave up control of their company in exchange for raising capital.  Now they're willing to give up capital if it means getting that control back.

Its the same reason there are virtually 0 new publically traded companies nowadays.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:53:56 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22147 on: July 31, 2018, 12:36:49 pm »

Indexed funds are the ones that have the wide spread of shares (matching general long-term market growth) and are much safer than the speculative types of funds, which pull people in with the promise of big returns, but don't really tell you of the much higher associated risks. In fact, I read somewhere that the vast majority of professional investors fail to "beat the market" (share prices grow over time by themselves anyway), effectively ripping off their clients and returning some return, but lower than just picking a wide spread of stocks yourself.

This. Read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street", it illustrates this quite well.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22148 on: July 31, 2018, 12:40:59 pm »

There's a little more nuance to it, but I essentially agree.

Full disclosure: I've been investing in the stock market for about a year now outside of my company managed 401k.

Investing in the stock market feels ridiculous at best and almost criminal at worst.  I've never screwed around with trying to short stocks (bullet point number 1 in your post) because it is gambling, and it's terribly risky, but lots of people do it.  I've also never tried to day trade because it's also risky, but also because if you have less than an arbitrary amount of money in your brokerage account ($25,000 in the US anyway), you can only trade a stock you bought on the same day 3 times within a month.  Try it any more than that and they'll lock your account out from trades.

The whole thing feels ridiculous for the reasons you listed though.  Companies give out quarterly earnings reports, and if they don't beat their estimates the stock usually goes down.  If it matches or only slightly exceeds the estimate, the stock goes down.  If it obliterates estimates, the stock sometimes goes up.  Rarely you get stocks like Tesla's that seem to go up without any basis in the current reality, but I stay away from them because that also feels like gambling since you never know if or when it will implode.

I won't touch high speed trading, because you pretty much covered it.  This was a research topic in my department when I was in grad school, where people designed FPGA designs so they could perform the trades as fast as possible, and it got to the point that the speed of light was becoming the limiting factor.  Fascinating stuff, but insane in its own manipulative ways.

Now, what feels criminal to me about it all, outside of the fact that it's kind of legalized gambling, also makes it feel like something of an entirely artificial construct and a sham.  You get money out of it for having money, basically.  I only invest in diversified index funds because I want to be able to accrue the increase in value over a few decades and hopefully retire early, and long term, it's a safe investment.  You can pretty much count on the money you have increasing in real value by roughly 7% per year over the long term.  You get money for doing nothing, but only if you have money in the first place.  And the increase in value feels entirely artificial, since it's driven by market forces and oftentimes over stocks that have no direct value.  A stock only has direct value if it pays a dividend, since you can extract money from it that way.  If it doesn't pay a dividend, then it only has value because you can have some confidence that someone, one day, will want to buy it from you, maybe because it will pay a dividend one day if the company grows enough.

And, of course, taxation favors investors who have that kind of money.  If you own a stock for over a year before you sell it, you only pay 15% taxes on the increase in value (unless you have a huge income already, at which point it's merely 25% instead).  Most people who work are going to be paying close to double that on income.  This feels incredibly wrong to me.

Raising money for companies through shared ownership seems like a sound idea in and of itself, and I'm sure even today it still serves a useful purpose to companies who take advantage of it.  But the whole thing has mutated into a machine for making wealthy people more wealthy while encouraging dangerous business practices in an effort to sustain it.  Profit margin is the only thing that matters when a company's leadership can be replaced by share holders who don't think the company is making enough money and paying it out in dividends.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22149 on: July 31, 2018, 12:57:58 pm »

Basically the stock market does for the economy what hats did for TF2.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22150 on: July 31, 2018, 01:22:52 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22151 on: July 31, 2018, 01:32:48 pm »

I feel like the stock market has also caused a rather concerning emphasis on forever increasing returns. The emphasis on forever expanding leads to some rather shady and damaging practices that end up undermining the basic business that is supposed to happen. The end is everything increasingly lowering in quality until the entire thing just becomes pointless. Businesses need to make money sure and that is the ultimate but as far a societies concerned businesses are supposed to provide goods and services and if a company is just making things worse it it should really not be allowed to exist. I think that is the disconnect in capitalism.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22152 on: July 31, 2018, 01:33:40 pm »

Regarding stock buybacks, I remember reading an article saying one reason is due to CEO (& co) bonuses being tied to earnings per share, which buybacks increase artificially. So buybacks result in the bosses getting bigger bonuses...

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22153 on: July 31, 2018, 02:36:22 pm »

Meanwhile, welcome to America, home of the Jesus Police.

There's entitlement, and then there's being dissatisfied with merely being able to legally discriminate against people on religious grounds and demanding the government do it for you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22154 on: July 31, 2018, 02:54:55 pm »

Meanwhile, welcome to America, home of the Jesus Police.

There's entitlement, and then there's being dissatisfied with merely being able to legally discriminate against people on religious grounds and demanding the government do it for you.
"And they'll call it 'Liberty'!"
[Satan laughs]
Pages: 1 ... 1475 1476 [1477] 1478 1479 ... 3567