Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1377 1378 [1379] 1380 1381 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228954 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20670 on: June 09, 2018, 11:28:20 am »

You literally cannot trust our police/security forces with even pepper spray.
Well, pepper spray results in fewer fatalities than batons and fists.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20671 on: June 09, 2018, 12:25:03 pm »

You literally cannot trust our police/security forces with even pepper spray.
Well, pepper spray results in fewer fatalities than batons and fists.

This is a valid point.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20672 on: June 09, 2018, 02:27:52 pm »

Who would have thought shooting electricity thought people could be dangerous?

It is when they're not responding to commands because they're already suffering some sort of medical episode and the cops are trained to not to question these things and just interpret anything less than immediate worship as belligerence to be responded to by force.

Or when they taze somebody continually for minutes, because.... I don't know.  Can't think of anything but sadism, there.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20673 on: June 09, 2018, 02:44:35 pm »

So while trying to find out what the weather was doing I found out on the news that Trump has given himself the power to pardon himself?  Is that right or did I misunderstand?  That sounds like obvious 'I'm above the law' shit right there and I'm astounded there isn't rioting in the streets right now, so I had to have misunderstood.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20674 on: June 09, 2018, 02:49:09 pm »

He’s been saying he has the absolute power to pardon himself but that he won’t, ‘cause he’s done nothin wrong.

This is basically the same as telling Mueller he’s wasting his time with the investigation because whatever the conclusion, it won’t matter.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20675 on: June 09, 2018, 02:51:13 pm »

It's one of those things that's sort of untested, but could be dealt with if done carefully. If you impeach him or wait until he's out of office before bringing charges, or bring charges in a state court rather than federal court, then he can't pardon himself. Even if you don't do it that way, there's arguments that he couldn't pardon himself, but at the same time no strict rule saying he can't either except in the case of impeachment (which is why you'd want to do that first)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20676 on: June 09, 2018, 02:51:43 pm »

Ah ok, so it's just him saying 'oh I'll just pardon myself if you do find something illegal I did'.  Still concerning, but just more trump.   I was thinking if that was something he could do Bill Clinton, Nixon, and Johnson would have done it first.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20677 on: June 09, 2018, 02:57:56 pm »

Ah ok, so it's just him saying 'oh I'll just pardon myself if you do find something illegal I did'.  Still concerning, but just more trump.   I was thinking if that was something he could do Bill Clinton, Nixon, and Johnson would have done it first.
It's even less interesting than that. It's not even clear if legally he could be indicted with anything. Presidents are usually approached as uncharged co-conspirators, and then it's left to the impeachment process. I think the DOJ stance has for a long time been that he can't be indicted, so saying he can pardon himself is kinda silly. Almost as silly as when he said he'd pardon Mohammad Ali. Who was found innocent.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20678 on: June 09, 2018, 03:03:00 pm »

It's legally untested, and arguably terrifying. In practice, it would come down to either an emergency Supreme Court decision, or Congress. Probably Congress, but I'd put the odds of getting a Decision at at least one in three.

In any case, it's dangerous ground. If he was impeached, the precedent would be set that its illegal. If he's not... well, Trump pardoning himself is one of the very few things I live in legitimate fear of. There'd be violence on the streets, and hell, I'd probably be one of them. And I'm virtually an establishment shill, so that's terrifying.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20679 on: June 09, 2018, 03:17:21 pm »

It's legally untested, and arguably terrifying. In practice, it would come down to either an emergency Supreme Court decision, or Congress. Probably Congress, but I'd put the odds of getting a Decision at at least one in three.

In any case, it's dangerous ground. If he was impeached, the precedent would be set that its illegal. If he's not... well, Trump pardoning himself is one of the very few things I live in legitimate fear of. There'd be violence on the streets, and hell, I'd probably be one of them. And I'm virtually an establishment shill, so that's terrifying.
Pardoning himself of what though? I think this whole conversation is pretty nebulous, because he probably can't be charged. The was it's set up right now, it all comes down to the impeachment process.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20680 on: June 09, 2018, 03:24:29 pm »

There are basically two ways of looking at the vagueries of pardons and impeachments: The sane way, and the crazy way.

The sane way is that the President is by necessity barred from normal prosecution while they hold office and granted the ability to pardon crimes for the greater good. To compensate for this Congress is granted the right to impeach the President, which is explicitly not covered by pardon powers. If so impeached, the President is then no longer the President and can be prosecuted for their crimes, if such a severe scenario were to come to pass.

The crazy way is that pardon powers are the playground "you can't touch me!" of the Presidency, and so when the President does it it isn't illegal so long as they remember to shout "Pardon!" whenever they do something illegal like Elizabeth Swann or a Tribune of the Plebs. Thus if the President pardons themselves for their crimes Congress can only choose to impeach them for no reason, and can't prosecute them afterwards because they're still pardoned. The impeachment system was, of course, only implemented due to the Founders' well-documented hatred of people who didn't remember to shout "anti-Loyalist shield!" during the revolution.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20681 on: June 09, 2018, 03:36:26 pm »

so long as they remember to shout "Pardon!" whenever they do something illegal like Elizabeth Swann or a Tribune of the Plebs.

Ok look I'm sorry but

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20682 on: June 09, 2018, 03:41:02 pm »

The pres is already explicitly not barred from normal prosecution while they're in office, MSH. Far as I can recall, clinton made that blatant and nixon almost did.

They're protected from some things if and only if said things are performed as part of their duties as POTUS, but that's about as far as it goes.

E: Though yeah, it was either trump or rudy or both that claimed trump can pardon himself. The claim is utter bullshit and whoever claimed it was talking out their ass.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:45:16 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20683 on: June 09, 2018, 03:45:46 pm »

The pres is already explicitly not barred from normal prosecution while they're in office, MSH. Far as I can recall, clinton made that blatant and nixon almost did.

They're protected from some things if and only if said things are performed as part of their duties as POTUS, but that's about as far as it goes.

Pretty sure Clinton never actually pushed it all the way. Before they could push the subpoena to a court decision, he agreed to a deposition as a "meet in the middle" thing and they went along with that rather than test it in the courts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20684 on: June 09, 2018, 03:49:02 pm »

... wasn't that nixon? Hell, could have been both. Too tired at the mo' to double check right now. Pretty damn sure there actually was a court decision vis a vis clinton, though, though it's possible I'm misremembering what was involved in it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:51:01 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1377 1378 [1379] 1380 1381 ... 3567