Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230470 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20580 on: June 06, 2018, 11:59:45 pm »

The bear *IS* naturally armored. It's hide resists penetration of small arms. That's why you need the high power rifle.  If you botch the shot you have a large angry carnivore on your hands.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20581 on: June 07, 2018, 12:00:58 am »

What if the bear is armored though?

Well, then you get them fancy clothes and alcohol until they want a daemon, at which point you can trick them into leaving.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20582 on: June 07, 2018, 12:03:23 am »

Armored, not amoured.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20583 on: June 07, 2018, 12:11:41 am »

Doesn't count as real armor unless it can shrug off a few rifle rounds~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20584 on: June 07, 2018, 12:38:24 am »

Armored, not amoured.

Somehow I thought he was referring to panserbjørne instead of...whatever he's doing.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20585 on: June 07, 2018, 12:44:15 am »

...whatever he's doing.
Good description of whatever I'm doing at any given time, really.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20586 on: June 07, 2018, 02:07:12 am »

Actually, why not go all Liberal Crime Squad on Scott Pruitt and Trump and company?

By which I mean, of course, legitimately purchasing a press and distributing a free liberal newspaper funded with door-to-door solicitation, as every good LCS player knows is the most effective way to win.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20587 on: June 07, 2018, 02:20:55 am »

Actually, why not go all Liberal Crime Squad on Scott Pruitt and Trump and company?

By which I mean, of course, legitimately purchasing a press and distributing a free liberal newspaper funded with door-to-door solicitation, as every good LCS player knows is the most effective way to win.

Because half your audience will ignore it as full of things they already know and the other half will post Facebook videos of them spelling out "fake news" on it in bullet holes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20588 on: June 07, 2018, 05:28:45 am »

Not enough of seducing judges into becoming unconditional love slaves, and having them work as sleeper agents.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20589 on: June 07, 2018, 08:00:57 am »

I'm slightly amazed that we discussed abortion then gun laws and not once was 'shitler', 'libtard cuck', 'snowflake', 'fascist', 'SJW', or 'mansplaining' uttered. It's almost like it's possible to have reasonable debates about this stuff without defecating into your hand and hurling it at your opponent.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20590 on: June 07, 2018, 08:15:24 am »

The sad fact is that limiting guns will not limit the ability of crazies to kill people. They'll still manage to figure something out. At one point it was bombs, then planes, now it's trucks, even knives have been effective terror weapons in Europe. At what point does it end?

Tyranny is as valid an excuse as any, so I'm not going to argue against anyone that wants to keep a gun for that reason. But personally, I've found more use on the personal protection side of things.

It's not the government having too much power that scares me all that much (although the fear is there), it's the government disappearing completely and leaving a vacuum. I've lived through that. Hurricane left us without power for over two weeks(Not nearly as bad as Puerto Rico, mind you), no method of communication for 4 days(I got my ham radio license after that, for other reasons, but it's still nice peace of mind), roads blocked for nearly a week so we were unable to make it even to the closest emergency shelter if we'd needed to except through a 8 mile trek on foot through questionable and dangerous terrain. There were literal pirates floating up inland waterways on boats and robbing houses. Those are the situations I'm truly glad to have a gun at home, because sometimes the government isn't there. Sometimes there is no help. Sometimes you're on your own and there are bad actors out there who will take advantage of it.

As for fixing the problem. You'll likely never solve the crazy lone actor problem. But the bigger problem is whatever is pushing people to feel desperate enough they need to use a gun. I keep hearing mental health come up, and that needs to be worked on, but simple welfare safety net improvement. UBI is probably the most notable call for something like that recently. But take away the threat that people will lose their basic survival necessities of food, shelter, medicine, etc, and you take away a large chunk of the incentive to do harm to others or to themselves.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20591 on: June 07, 2018, 08:22:47 am »

The sad fact is that limiting guns will not limit the ability of crazies to kill people. They'll still manage to figure something out. At one point it was bombs, then planes, now it's trucks, even knives have been effective terror weapons in Europe. At what point does it end?

You're conflating "limit" with "prevent".

Not having a gun categorically limits the ability of crazies to kill people. The gun is the weapon of choice for killing people, because it's more effective. Taking that away by definition leaves people with less-effective means of killing people. For example, a van terror attack in Germany in April killed 2 people. Compare that to the Vegas guy who killed 58 people, and you'd need at least 20 Vegas-scale crazies to cause the same amount of deaths using automobiles. Making crazies 1/20th as effective at killing is in fact limiting their ability to kill people.

However, a car attack with 2 dead isn't much less "scary" than a mass-shooting with 50 dead, because people get scared on a per-event basis, not a per-death basis. So, the ability to scare people is not limited by removing guns, but the ability to actually kill people definitely is.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:32:41 am by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20592 on: June 07, 2018, 08:32:18 am »

You're conflating "limit" with "prevent".

Not having a gun categorically limits the ability of crazies to kill people. The gun is the weapon of choice for killing people, because it's more effective. Taking that away by definition leaves people with less-effective means of killing people. For example, a van terror attack in Germany in April killed 2 people. Compare that to the Vegas guy who killed 58 people, and you'd need at least 20 Vegas-scale crazies to cause the same amount of deaths using automobiles. Making crazies 1/20th as effective at killing is in fact limiting their ability to kill people.

And the 2016 Truck attack in Nice, France killed 86. You can cherry pick individual cases, but the fact is other more common things than guns can kill people just as easily. Oklahoma City Bombing killed 168 people. 9/11 attacks killed nearly 3000. None of those involved a single gun.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20593 on: June 07, 2018, 08:33:54 am »

But that's not a great argument against gun control.

More people are killed by guns than sharks, so we shouldn't warn people about sharks.

Just because 9/11 was bigger doesn't mean that gun control isn't needed, it's a complete non-sequitur.

2/3rds of gun deaths are suicides too, and Israel's experience showed a big drop in suicide rates when they stopped letting people take their IDF guns home.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21034205
The use of firearms is a common means of suicide. We examined the effect of a policy change in the Israeli Defense Forces reducing adolescents' access to firearms on rates of suicide. Following the policy change, suicide rates decreased significantly by 40%. Most of this decrease was due to decrease in suicide using firearms over the weekend. There were no significant changes in rates of suicide during weekdays.

Just removing guns that soldiers take home on weekends reduce the entire national suicide rate (including all means) in Israel by 40%. Plenty of people kill themselves who wouldn't otherwise if they didn't have a quick and deadly means such as guns.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:40:32 am by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20594 on: June 07, 2018, 08:39:51 am »

Except it's not unrelated. The argument was that limiting guns wouldn't limit/remove the ability for people to cause harm. The people that want to cause harm are still going to be there. They'll just find other methods to cause the harm.

And your whole argument was "guns are bigger numbers than trucks in select cases so guns are worse"

As for suicides, I feel like they ARE unrelated and we've had that discussion before.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:43:37 am by sluissa »
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 3567