Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1364 1365 [1366] 1367 1368 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231425 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20475 on: June 04, 2018, 09:10:31 pm »

I don't know, I always think of all the suicide that could have been prevented if only someone else in the room had a gun. Sarcasm note I guess

I see what you did there.

And the transparent text after, too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20476 on: June 04, 2018, 09:13:49 pm »

Paul Manafort, the man who can't convert a PDF to Word, has caught been trying to encrypt his way around the FBI detecting his attempts at witness tampering:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YFpZPUP89YAqkunNs78z5i46Z711y2E/view

But, you know, I'm sure the Mueller investigation is just such a witch hunt that the defendants are driven to commit more crimes unprompted out of pity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20477 on: June 04, 2018, 09:22:46 pm »

Paul Manafort, the man who can't convert a PDF to Word, has caught been trying to encrypt his way around the FBI detecting his attempts at witness tampering:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YFpZPUP89YAqkunNs78z5i46Z711y2E/view

But, you know, I'm sure the Mueller investigation is just such a witch hunt that the defendants are driven to commit more crimes unprompted out of pity.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/4/17427800/mueller-manafort-witness-tampering

Not only that, but the person he attempted to talk to went and talked to the FBI, and it sounds like the second person from a PR firm had talked to the FBI as well.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20478 on: June 04, 2018, 09:42:40 pm »

He’ll pardon himself.

Then he’ll get impeached.

If he doesn’t... well then. Civil war?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20479 on: June 04, 2018, 09:46:49 pm »

He’ll pardon himself.

I daresay he is more likely to run off to Russia than let himself be arrested :P Though maybe Putin would be more likely to give him back as he'd be hounded like he had never been before.

He’ll pardon himself.

Political civil war maybe, not a shooting one, and the Democrats going ALL OUT in 2020 if this happens before then. Though they'll go all out in 2020 regardless.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20480 on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:06 pm »

So, remember that wedding cake trial going to the Supreme Court? They ruled on it, in favor of the baker, in a decision so narrowly constrained as to be inapplicable to any other case whatsoever.

The details of the case which made it such a clusterfuck:
  • The couple got married out of state before attempting to buy the cake
  • Gay marriage was still illegal at the time (both federally and in the state where the attempt to place an order was made)
  • It is not clear whether the baker refused to bake them a cake, or refused to bake them a cake with the word "wedding" on it
  • There was a ton of "anti-religious bias" in the lower court (at least according to Kennedy)

So much for that.
We got hilarious minutes with the gals riffing about shit like "if a cake is protected speech, what else would be? is a fantastic hairdo speech? how about a great bbq sandwich?"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20481 on: June 05, 2018, 02:28:56 am »

They ruled against the methodology of the initial prosecution rather than anything to do with cakes or hot, sweaty, homosexual relations, in a continuation of SCOTUS's proud tradition of dodging the question as hard as possible.

To be faire, in complex cases like this one, ruling narrowly when possible isn't a bad principle to have. You don't want the court to rule the country.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20482 on: June 05, 2018, 04:37:20 am »

They ruled against the methodology of the initial prosecution rather than anything to do with cakes or hot, sweaty, homosexual relations, in a continuation of SCOTUS's proud tradition of dodging the question as hard as possible.

To be faire, in complex cases like this one, ruling narrowly when possible isn't a bad principle to have. You don't want the court to rule the country.

I remember watching this a while ago about it, if people are interested. Video by Leonard French back in December.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20483 on: June 05, 2018, 10:14:10 am »

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/04/616268027/gun-studies-permit-laws-reduce-murders-red-flag-laws-cut-suicides

Looks like gun control works. Shocking I know.

Indiana, where I can literally walk down the road with an AR-15, shall-issue concealed carry, Mike Pence's home state and the reddest state in the Midwest...

Your example that gun control works?

This is a narrowly circumscribed provision for firearm confiscation from people who are suicide risks, and it reduces the suicide rate by 7.5% with "mixed evidence for a replacement effect". Its plausible just having law enforcement come into contact with a suicide risk and offer support services is as responsible as removing one of many means. This law may be something to consider for other states. It is the sort of law a state full of NRA members was willing to accept and the kind of law the national discussion should focus on, rather than blaming specific patent numbers. But to pretend this is evidence of "gun control" working is being a little broad. It also says nothing about the implicit claim that gun control will reduce crime. Driving the suicide rate to 0 will not change the crime rate. Shocking I know.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20484 on: June 05, 2018, 10:16:51 am »

Driving the suicide rate to 0 will not change the crime rate.

Sure it will. Suicide's a crime; fewer suicides means fewer crimes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20485 on: June 05, 2018, 10:29:18 am »

You might think that, but there is also the potential that people prevented from self-termination will thus survive, and commit other crimes they would have been unable to dead.

Granted, that is still a change in the crime rate-- related to suicide prevention-- but is still significantly not what you were shooting for Trekkin. :P

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20486 on: June 05, 2018, 10:43:50 am »

Driving the suicide rate to 0 will not change the crime rate.

Sure it will. Suicide's a crime; fewer suicides means fewer crimes.

Suicide is not a crime in any US state
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20487 on: June 05, 2018, 10:44:04 am »

Here's a novel idea, put tariffs/sanctions on Trumps businesses. Don't divest? Other countries get to use your companies as targets.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20488 on: June 05, 2018, 10:49:21 am »

Lawfully execute everyone: nobody to commit crime!

Throw everyone in a rubber padded room: nobody can commit suicide!

Nerve-staple all citizens: no more unhappy thoughts!

Circumstances and Outcomes of a Firearm Seizure Law: Marion County, Indiana, 2006-2013.

Parker GF1.

Abstract

Indiana statute allows police to seize firearms without a warrant if the officer believes a person meets the law's definition of "dangerous." Review of the use of this law in Marion County (Indianapolis), Indiana, showed that prosecutors filed petitions in court to retain weapons seized by police under this law 404 times between 2006 and 2013. Police removed weapons from people due to identification of a risk of suicide (68%) or violence (21%), or the presence of psychosis (16%). The firearm seizures occurred in the context of domestic disputes in 28% of cases and intoxication was noted in 26% of cases. There were significant demographic differences in the circumstances of firearm seizures and the firearms seized. The seized firearms were retained by the court at the initial hearing in 63% of cases; this retention was closely linked to the defendant's failure to appear at the hearing. The court dismissed 29% of cases at the initial hearing, closely linked to the defendant's presence at the hearing. In subsequent hearings of cases not dismissed, the court ordered the destruction of the firearms in 72% of cases, all when the individual did not appear in court, and dismissed 24% of the cases, all when the individual was present at the hearing. Overall, the Indiana law removed weapons from a small number of people, most of whom did not seek return of their weapons. The firearm seizure law thus functioned as a months-long cooling-off period for those who did seek the return of their guns.

So... exactly what Brown County's sheriff should have done the half-hundred times they had the opportunity. Amazing what police can do when they're not deliberately cooking the books on their arrest rates through ommission to appease political ambitions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 1364 1365 [1366] 1367 1368 ... 3567