Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1311 1312 [1313] 1314 1315 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231423 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #19680 on: May 08, 2018, 06:05:35 pm »

...unless Trump becomes Great Leader and Eternal President of the Republic(ans), and even upon death his power passes down to another Donald, a son tasked to continue the aggressive, nationalistic and increasingly isolationist policies...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19681 on: May 08, 2018, 06:38:27 pm »

...and theres the whole credibility issues going forward.

This.
Trump is boasting about how going forward, he will ensure that America always does what they say they will do...while simultaneously he is tearing up agreements made by past presidents, showing that any document signed by a US president is meaningless as soon as the next guy takes the office.
Right now North Korea has every reason to expect that nothing Trump says in the coming meeting will have any lasting value.

The TPP was dead in the water as far as Congress goes, Clinton was even prepared to pull out of it, though I guess she would have been more open to renegotiating it. But yes, he's already sent that signal by pulling out of the Paris Climate pact. Even Bush would have at least respected it and left it in, even if he paid no attention to it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19682 on: May 08, 2018, 10:45:55 pm »

And then there's the fact that Trump just threw the Iranian moderates under the bus. And it seems to be he did it solely because it would quiet discussion of the fact that his hush money apparently came from a Russian oligarch.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19683 on: May 08, 2018, 10:53:27 pm »

I dont think it is so much "wag the dog" as it is "See Die-hard conservi-cronies! Trump delivers on campaign promises, even when they are batshit insane!"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19684 on: May 09, 2018, 11:16:04 am »

In state news, Ohio's new anti-gerrymandering law was passed with overwhelming majority of the votes. It won't take effect until the next census, but this is a good sign.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19685 on: May 09, 2018, 12:58:42 pm »

So I hope that's clear for you now.

It would be clearer had you not previously attributed racial disparities in crime rates to Tinder driving up unemployment by making it harder to slut-shame women, frankly.

I think the signal is failing on your end, but lets not cross threads with out-of-context misreadings. Actually, with the consistency of misreadings, it might not be a productive exercise.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19686 on: May 09, 2018, 01:06:24 pm »

Oh, are we doing state news? How about the fall of Eric Schneiderman? The New York General Attorney resigned after a massive scandal: allegations of beating and strangling women (while drunk, in bed, and always without consent). He resigned almost immediately after the The New Yorker broke the story: he went from running for re-election to resigning in the course of three hours, without making any sort of statement to his staff or anything. (Incidentally, that makes that New Yorker article hilarious dated: it speaks entirely as if Schneiderman was going to be yet another public figure who lingered under the clouds of scandal until the public got sufficiently outraged, and now instead the Post and Daily News write about his walk of shame out of his apartment, through the mess of reporters waiting). Governor Cuomo has apparently appointed a special prosecutor to examine the allegations, and the Manhattan DA is also looking into it.

As the New York Attorney General, he was pretty big in a lot of current court cases, including a lot of cases involving New York's least favorite native son, D.J. Trump, and was in some ways the leading figure of the institutional part of the whole "resistance" movement, thing. He played a similar role in #MeToo, so it certainly reeks of hypocrisy (although, note: he is not accused of sexual assault, he is accused of regular assault, and assault apparently serious enough that two of the accusers were hospitalized). It's a shock though: interviews with his staff have said they wouldn't have been surprised at him being accused of something; anything but what he was actually accused of. So they're stunned and as confused as the rest of us.

For my part, I'm pretty sure I volunteered for the guy's campaign at one point (although in a "this would be useful for my resume" way), so I'ma need a long shower.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:08:44 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19687 on: May 09, 2018, 01:19:45 pm »

Yeah, I don't think choking your Sri Lankan girlfriend and demanding she call you master and say she's your brown slave is a terribly good standard for a human being.

I mean, without a safe word. Cue sitcom laughtrack.

Schneiderman being praised lavishly on Full Frontal for his anti-administration lawsuits is now really awkward.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:25:14 pm by Shazbot »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19688 on: May 09, 2018, 01:29:11 pm »

For extra "people will call this ironic but it is actually just a hilarious coincidence" effect: I could swear he was responsible for getting stronger charges applied to assault cases involving choking or throttling someone.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19689 on: May 09, 2018, 01:48:41 pm »

You know, sometimes having a demon makes you eager to punish others with that demon as a way to atone for it. It may also be a big part of the #metoo outing a lot of feminist "allies" to be scumbags using "nobody will believe you" as a cudgel. I recall part of an interview where this girl's friends warned her she'd have an impossible time accusing a politician like him.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19690 on: May 09, 2018, 02:02:43 pm »

For extra "people will call this ironic but it is actually just a hilarious coincidence" effect: I could swear he was responsible for getting stronger charges applied to assault cases involving choking or throttling someone.
Thought it was weaker ones, or something along those lines? Much of a check as I could manage right now says he was at least involved in writing them, one way or another.

In any case, good the guy got ousted/left pretty much immediately when this broke. At least one side of the political aisle actually gives something resembling a shit, I guess. Hopefully it'll end up weeding potential problems out sooner than later.

Vaguely interesting bit is who replaces him, though, given the sort of fires the NY AG is and will be dealing with in the near future. I've heard mention of preet something or other, I think?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19691 on: May 09, 2018, 02:11:26 pm »

Vaguely interesting bit is who replaces him, though, given the sort of fires the NY AG is and will be dealing with in the near future. I've heard mention of preet something or other, I think?

Preet Bharara? The US Attorney that Sessions fired? That would be...thorny. 

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19692 on: May 09, 2018, 02:41:58 pm »

Not sure why? If you're thinking conflict of interest or somethin', AG's a lawyer, not a judge, and this is a state level position, not federal. So long as frivolous lawsuits or whatev' don't get involved there's not actually much or any conflict.
Ask not!
Ask!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19693 on: May 09, 2018, 02:55:33 pm »

Oh, I'm aware there's no actual legal obstacle, but I worry that much would be made of the apparent irony (not that it's actually ironic in any way, but that's an entirely different debate) by people eager to label everything even potentially to do with the Trump/Cohen imbroglio as a witch hunt. It's a narrative thing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19694 on: May 09, 2018, 03:09:04 pm »

Eh... doubt anything short of a blatantly corrupt republican that immediately axed everything would make a difference on that particular front, though. Arguably not worth the effort to care about, y'know?
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1311 1312 [1313] 1314 1315 ... 3567