Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4224135 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17745 on: March 02, 2018, 09:01:26 pm »

To be fair, there's plenty to criticize about free trade.  It's been heavily abused as a way to make it profitable for global corporations to abuse disadvantaged populations around the world, and given them incentive to find ways to make and keep various people around the world disadvantaged, too.  Look at how many of our FTAs are with South America.  It's no coincidence that, for example, those same regions have alarming murder rates of environmentalists.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17746 on: March 02, 2018, 09:11:57 pm »

*ominous soviet anthem getting closer from behind a door*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCt0DLsn3lM

If they really wanted to hit us where it hurts, they'd put tariffs on movies and electronic entertainment. I feel like that's way more relevant to what American produces than steel, booze and pants.

Honestly those items strike me as someone's out-dated ideas about what represents American production these days.

This is my impression as well. The way Trump also "supports" infrastructure seems very similar; he's following a vague pop-culture understanding that heavy industry and infrastructure are big tough strong governmenty things that will likely play to his base (and feed into his "builder" charade), but that's about the extent of thought that he's put into it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17747 on: March 02, 2018, 09:22:25 pm »

To be fair, there's plenty to criticize about free trade.  It's been heavily abused as a way to make it profitable for global corporations to abuse disadvantaged populations around the world, and given them incentive to find ways to make and keep various people around the world disadvantaged, too.  Look at how many of our FTAs are with South America.  It's no coincidence that, for example, those same regions have alarming murder rates of environmentalists.
Yes, total free trade should only be a thing between nations of similar wealth. As it is now is mostly neoliberal neocolonialism in the developing world. Companies are "free" to steal all there resources and "free" to not care a bit about the countries they take them from.

*ominous soviet anthem getting closer from behind a door*
More like finally shedding the built up cold war capitalist obsessed bullshit.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:29:55 pm by redwallzyl »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17748 on: March 02, 2018, 10:13:58 pm »

I've always felt that a tariff based on environmental standards and relative pay would be the way to go. Goods from places like Europe or Japan would then have very little tariff, while those from China or South America would have greater ones. This would help discourage exploitation of weaker economies while still encouraging investment (if balanced properly), and make sound ecological policies more practical by killing the forces disincentive them.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17749 on: March 02, 2018, 11:07:48 pm »

I've always felt that a tariff based on environmental standards and relative pay would be the way to go. Goods from places like Europe or Japan would then have very little tariff, while those from China or South America would have greater ones. This would help discourage exploitation of weaker economies while still encouraging investment (if balanced properly), and make sound ecological policies more practical by killing the forces disincentive them.

I've thought this before as well, but given how quickly I was shot down by a "It's complicated, you wouldn't understand" on my last economic insight, it's probably seen as a bad idea as well.

I imagine it would never pass mostly because the people who have the most to gain from unethical free trade are the same ones lobbying both sides of congress for even more free trade.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17750 on: March 02, 2018, 11:09:14 pm »

I'm sure it would be a nightmare to actually pull off, but I still think that it would be worth a try.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17751 on: March 03, 2018, 12:56:49 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I spent waaaay too much time looking at that picture.

Or too little.
All hail the mighty Bagger.

Bagger 288 Bagger 288

It just shows again that we germans are not satisfied unless we build impractically huge tracked vehicles.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:58:27 am by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17752 on: March 03, 2018, 01:08:32 am »

A glorious machine fit for squishing Vek.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17753 on: March 03, 2018, 07:42:40 am »

Environmental / labor practice tariffs only really work if they are imposed onthe vast majority of the imported volume of the affected goods.

If there is anyone at all willing to buy those goods that are "questionably produced" then any such tariff is largely symbolic.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17754 on: March 03, 2018, 08:49:59 am »

It's also rather hypocritical to impose environmental taxes on other countries when your country is doing just as much damage, if not more and is one of the dicks that denies climate change. Then again, hypocrisy is kind of a standard in politics, not an exception it seems.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17755 on: March 03, 2018, 09:07:31 am »

BlackRock, the largest investment company in the world (the company manages over 5000 billion euros worth investement worldwide), announced that it will start offereing stock packages that exclude weapons producing companies.
They also plan on using other means of pressure to influence firearm producers.
BlackRock is majority shareholder in 3 weapons manufacturers, including Outdoor Brands, of whom Smith & Wesson (producer of the AR-15) is a daughter company.
The other two are Sturm, and Ruger & Co.

BlackRock demands to know what measures firearm producers are going to take to prevent guns from falling into irresponsible hands, and warned that if nescessary it will use it's majority position to force down changes.
BlackRock, as a majority shareholder, is worried about reputation damage, and about lawsuits and claims from victims of shooting incidents.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17756 on: March 03, 2018, 09:16:00 am »

BlackRock demands to know what measures firearm producers are going to take to prevent guns from falling into irresponsible hands, and warned that if nescessary it will use it's majority position to force down changes.
Because, obviously, irresponsible gun owners buy directly from firearms producers. ::)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17757 on: March 03, 2018, 09:33:34 am »

Because, obviously, irresponsible gun owners buy directly from firearms producers. ::)
Irresponisble hands could just as well translate to 'backwater gun retailers that don't give a wooden nickle about background checks or age regulations'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17758 on: March 03, 2018, 10:20:05 am »

They're probably referring to straw buyers, who purchase guns legally which then end up in circulation in the international gun black market. Or could just be as simple as a dodgy looking guy getting his gf to buy a gun for him

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17759 on: March 03, 2018, 10:25:54 am »

... blackrock, eh? Well now. Considering the president's financial investments I think the chances of trump implementing something that shits on the NRA's goals just bumped themselves up a few good notches. Maybe we'll get something useful out of the top level corruption this time :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 ... 3566