Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4222720 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17625 on: February 28, 2018, 04:19:31 pm »

Dick's Sporting Goods will completely stop selling semi-automatic weapons, and ammo for those weapons.
It will also raise the minimum age for purchasing a weapon to 21.

After a previous school shooting, DSG already restricted the sale of semi-automatic weapons, but now they decided to completely banish them.

With over 600 stores in 48 states, DSG is the largest sports chain in the US, so even though this might be just one company, this will impact nationwide gun availabilty.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:21:35 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17626 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:51 pm »

Huh. I thought it was just AR-types. Interesting. I don't think it'll just have much impact though- just a change in distributors.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17627 on: February 28, 2018, 04:23:18 pm »

My newspaper headline says "will stop selling semi-automatic weapons", not just the AR, unless the reporter got it wrong.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/amerikaanse-sportzaak-stopt-met-verkoop-semi-automatische-geweren~a4575302/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17628 on: February 28, 2018, 04:48:14 pm »

My newspaper headline says "will stop selling semi-automatic weapons", not just the AR, unless the reporter got it wrong.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/amerikaanse-sportzaak-stopt-met-verkoop-semi-automatische-geweren~a4575302/

Reporter must have gotten it wrong then. Nowhere have I see "All semi-automatic weapons". The only mention of semi-automatic in any of the official wording I've seen has been in relation to bump stocks that "allow semi-automatic weapons to fire rapidly" and how they've never sold them and they implore congress to ban them.

It sounds like they just want to get rid of the "scary looking" ones.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17629 on: February 28, 2018, 05:52:28 pm »

Wouldn't banning all semi-auto guns ban everything? Since every gun that isn't an automatic is labelled as semi-auto. There isn't a 'manual' gun category, unless maybe you go to older guns where you had to manually prime the powder or cock it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17630 on: February 28, 2018, 06:07:38 pm »

Semi-automatic means that the force of the shot is somehow used to chamber the next shot. Revolver, bolt, lever, and pump action repeaters are not semi-automatic, nor are the various forms of single-shot systems.

EDIT: Dicks stopped selling that type of rifle in their main stores years ago. All they're doing now is applying the same policy to their affiliate store chains.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:11:38 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17631 on: February 28, 2018, 06:08:28 pm »

Single action as in one trigger pull = one shot, gotta pull back the hammer yourself, double action means you can have it cock as it fires. Semi-auto can mean it will fire each pull after cocking itself, there are options besides that though. Bolt action for example is hardly semi-auto.
So wait, are millenials working too hard because they're all brash young'ns? or are they all lazy because they're pampered and affluent? Are they having too much sex because of hookup culture? Or are they having too little sex because they're all wusses that only thrive on facebook? Did they ruin the country by whining and moaning instead of pulling their sleeves up and digging down? Or was it their parents' fault and they're all poor victims of a system that was rigged against them from the start?
I say pull your sleeves down and dig up!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17632 on: February 28, 2018, 06:17:29 pm »

Thanks for the clarification. And yeah, that sports store is just doing it for the assault rifle type weapons.

In other news, Hope Hicks, the WH communications director and longtime member of Trumps inner circle, is resigning sometime over the next few weeks. I wonder how many of Trumps 'orginals' of his inner circle remain, other than his family obviously.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17633 on: February 28, 2018, 06:27:01 pm »

I've only fired three guns, a .38 six shooter which had some .357 rounds, a .22 six shooter, and a .22 semi-auto with a ten round box magazine.

The .22 revolver was a hoot, point, click, can falls over.
The .38 was loud and satisfyingly powerful feeling.
The first time I fired some of the .357 rounds it was apparently one that had been double-loaded by accident so it sounded and felt like the gun might have just blown up in my hands.

*squeeze.... KARAKOOOOM* *jets of fire out the sides* *mule kicking my palms*
'Uh... what?'
"Oh, whoops, I thought I had tracked down the ones I double-loaded on accident."

So after a few more regular revolver shots I tried out the .22 semi-auto and it was scarier than all of them in a way.

*point*
*click*
'Huh...'
*click click click click*
'Hah, that's hilarious!'
*clickclickclickclickclickthunk*
Way too fucking easy.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17634 on: February 28, 2018, 06:36:22 pm »

I hope you were firing .38 rounds through a .357 rather than the other way around. Otherwise it could have blown up in your hands.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17635 on: February 28, 2018, 06:38:49 pm »

I hope you were firing .38 rounds through a .357 rather than the other way around. Otherwise it could have blown up in your hands.
Yeah it was, I had it backwards because I fired the .38 rounds first.

I actually recall how short the .38 rounds looked in the cylinders too, but yeah, I love revolvers, the mechanism is gorgeous, the feel is satisfying, the balance and heft are all just very aesthetically pleasing. The .22 semi-auto felt like a cheat code or something. It wasn't as satisfying to hold or fire.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:44:25 pm by Max™ »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17636 on: February 28, 2018, 06:43:06 pm »

Would a 0.38 bullet even fit in a 0.35 caliber gun? I don't know anything about caliber compatibility besides the obvious anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17637 on: February 28, 2018, 06:46:51 pm »

Would a 0.38 bullet even fit in a 0.35 caliber gun? I don't know anything about caliber compatibility besides the obvious anyway.
They're the same bullet caliber actually, just the length of the cartridge/powder load is different: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17638 on: February 28, 2018, 06:47:45 pm »

Double loaded probably refers to someone fucking up handloads and putting more propellant in the casing than they planned
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17639 on: February 28, 2018, 06:50:16 pm »

Yar, he had fucked up and gotten a couple loaded twice which he thought he had tracked down except for the surprise I got.
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 3566