Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210334 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #16800 on: January 29, 2018, 04:18:19 pm »

I've got the feeling that base locations and common patrol routes are about as secret as the location of Rome for those who want to know. Granted, it is harder to spot people gathering intel when that intel is publicly available to anyone anywhere on the planet. While Strava's information itself isn't that dangerous, the fact that a random company collects and publishes this kind of information, seemingly without understanding its importance, is.

With the great strides in privacy we've had in the past few decades, this is probably just a case where the people in charge couldn't imagine anyone stupid enough to use this kind of app when doing classified work in a restricted area. (It probably says somewhere in the official papers (which no-one really reads) that "sharing classified information with outsiders through the use of smart devices, such as phones and tablets is absolutely forbidden", and the same message has probably been taught a couple of times as well. As this app wasn't specifically forbidden, the not-privacy-minded not-privates-anymore probably figured that this app doesn't count..)
The Generals and such in the military don't really understand smart phones that well. They intellectually grasp that they're not "just" phones, but instinctually they still consider them phones rather than personal computers, which is what they actually are. The generalship of the military is quite old in many cases, and because of that they don't much get technology for the same reasons your grandpa can't properly operate Facebook.

It's likely the idea of a "Jogging App" never crossed their minds simply because they don't think of cell phones as anything more than a device to send voices and maybe texts from person to person. At best they may have considered the ability for the phone to access the internet, but restricting apps would be both out of mind and impossible to enforce.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16801 on: January 29, 2018, 06:02:33 pm »

Joe is much less intelligent than you think. Additionally, Joe is much more intelligent than you think.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16802 on: January 29, 2018, 06:17:46 pm »

With the great strides in privacy we've had in the past few decades

Wut
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16803 on: January 29, 2018, 06:25:15 pm »

With the great strides in privacy we've had in the past few decades

Wut

Great progress towards not having any... Sarcasm... You know, the thing that doesn't work very well in writing. :)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16804 on: January 29, 2018, 06:38:11 pm »

I usually get sarcasm, even online.  That was just especially dry.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16805 on: January 29, 2018, 07:38:51 pm »

Salmon prefers his sarcasm moist to the touch.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16806 on: January 29, 2018, 09:26:14 pm »

Remembering to water your sarcasm is important, otherwise the humor shrivels up on the vine and you can't even make proper Whine out of it.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16807 on: January 29, 2018, 09:38:07 pm »

Also remember folks, just like georgia is full of shitty places to live, georgia makes excellent sarcasm fertilizer. Cover your sarcasm in georgia to make sure no one misses its growing season.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:39:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16808 on: January 29, 2018, 09:41:36 pm »

Remembering to water your sarcasm is important, otherwise the humor shrivels up on the vine and you can't even make proper Whine out of it.

*high five*
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16809 on: January 29, 2018, 09:54:18 pm »

whine?  I always get sardonic vinegar.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16810 on: January 29, 2018, 09:57:32 pm »

needs more salt

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16811 on: January 30, 2018, 10:59:33 am »

whine?  I always get sardonic vinegar.
needs more salt
Nah, if he's getting vinegar he's definitely adding too much salt. Good Whine uses as little salt as possible so as not to contrast the tang of the butthurt.

If you want a salty drink, you don't want sarcasm as your base. There's a reason it's not used in Memetinis.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16812 on: January 30, 2018, 03:43:00 pm »

The list of Russians that owe their power and money to connections with Putin, made by the US government after Congress ordered them to do so, must really be a sad joke, if even Navalny and other Russian opposition critisize it for including rich people that have absolutely nothing to do with Putin.

The list with 96 'olicharchs' turns out to be an exact copy of Forbes' list of 'richest Russian businessmen'. The other 114 'influential political figures' could have been copied straight from the Kremlin's website, according to the Kremlin's human rights advisor Mikhail Fedotov.
The 210 Russians on the list face no sanctions. The US warns them however, that they could be next, in the next sanction round.

Putin himself is not on the list. "An insult", he joked at a press conference. "We had prepared countermeasures, but I think we will just forget about those for now".
He says he does not take the list seriously, because there are so many business and citizens behind the 210 listed persons, that the US government basically put all 145 million Russians on the list. For example, there are 30 ministers and vice-ministers on the list, including premier Medvedev, and Putin's spokesperson Dmitri Peskov.

Under the header 'olicharchs' are people like Roman Abramovitsj (the owner of football club Chelsea), and CEO of Gazprom Aleksej Miller.
There are also people listed without any known ties to the Kremlin.
For example Sergej Galitski, who runs a succesful supermarket chain, and Michaïl Fridman, who built up his wealth long before Putin was in the Kremlin.
Oleg Tinkov, producer of household equipment, and banker is also kinda not known for making sneaky deals with Putin.

Corruption fighter Navalny posted on Facebook that he is happy that some villains have been named and shamed, but confused about the prescence of rich people without Kremlin ties, and about the abscence of names from people high in the Justice department.

One of the presidential election candidates that is at least slightly critical of Putin, Ksenia Sobtsjak, put on Instagram that she is in favour of such lists with corrupt people, but then they will need to be the result of proper research.

If anything, the list made by the US government conveyed a message to Russia that the US doesn't give two fucks about improving relations with Russia.
Sergej Sobjanin, the mayor of Moscow said "the West has never liked Russia, but lists like this were unthinkable in even the worst times of history"
https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/amerikaans-lijstje-met-russische-oligarchen-werkt-vooral-op-de-lachspieren-in-moskou~a4564028/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:44:48 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16813 on: January 30, 2018, 08:35:22 pm »

Sounds they had an intern look it up with a 'oh shit, we needed it last month' deadline.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16814 on: January 30, 2018, 08:42:47 pm »

Either that or a "There! Happy now!?" dig at Democrats or Congress in general since Trump didn't want to do the sanction stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 3566