Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243436 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #1680 on: February 12, 2017, 06:56:50 pm »

From a few days ago, a missed gem: US customs agents may require foreigners' social media passwords as part of vetting

"We want to get on their social media, with passwords: What do you do, what do you say?" said Kelly. "If they don't want to cooperate then you don't come in."
C o o l

I had actually posted that (different link though) a whole bunch of pages back, but it was more a hypothetical thing they were considering rather than saying it out loud.

Also, what I saw wasn't that they wanted passwords, but rather they wanted the names of websites you visit (difficult to actually confirm unless you hand over browser history, but browser history can be cleared), your social media info (Facebook site, twitter handle, etc), email address, and the contacts on your phone.

While not as blatant as demanding your passwords, it still breaches a whole bunch of ethical lines and legal ones.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: February 12, 2017, 06:58:09 pm »

(Dear god, are there people who don't do that sort of thing besides grandparents?)
Given that I haven't even heard of both of these things before, I'd say yes.
._.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: February 12, 2017, 07:00:27 pm »

(Dear god, are there people who don't do that sort of thing besides grandparents?)
Given that I haven't even heard of both of these things before, I'd say yes.
https://disconnect.me/freeprotection
https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: February 12, 2017, 07:06:52 pm »

Regardless of whether people actually do that stuff or not, the point is that there are ways for people to hide their digital trails if they wished to, even if it's not for some nefarious reason.

Also, I'm not sure whether they're planning on doing it for ALL arrivals, which would be hell on tourism, or do it with specific individuals.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:10:03 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: February 12, 2017, 07:37:01 pm »

Regardless of whether people actually do that stuff or not, the point is that there are ways for people to hide their digital trails if they wished to, even if it's not for some nefarious reason.

Also, I'm not sure whether they're planning on doing it for ALL arrivals, which would be hell on tourism, or do it with specific individuals.
Well, like most things cored by bigotry, ignorance, and fear, it will be done sporadically and largely capriciously, based more on the prejudices of the individuals on the ground or their superiors than anything. Don't expect too much in the way of consistency, particularly of any sort except the most shallow.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: February 12, 2017, 07:42:02 pm »

Don't worry, the 4th Amendment hasn't been a thing in a few years and it's not like judges don't give warrants for everything and it's not like bad warrants aren't usable and it's not like qualified immunity gives a nice blanket of security for most of the people doing those things.

No problem here, citizen. Move along.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: February 12, 2017, 08:40:04 pm »

Hell, I can't even remember mine unless I have a keyboard right in front of me. Same problem as Max, really.
I imagine a keyboard and physically move my fingers.  Otherwise I can't get the various capitalizations.  Changing passwords sucks for a few days...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: February 12, 2017, 09:05:37 pm »

Now see, I have a specific modulation (made by myself, and memorized) which I put my passwords through, which makes it much easier to remember since all I need to remember is 1: The base password, and 2: any alteration to the modulation. It means I have a nice long password and there's no risk of forgetting it. Only issue is it means I have very long passwords, and it's easy to mispell or miscapitalize or what have you.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: February 12, 2017, 09:13:49 pm »

I have a list of memorable words (romanizations of Japanese words, titles of metal songs, nonsense phrases) that I make into acronyms and arrange in different orders with varying amounts of numbers and symbols.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 12, 2017, 09:37:37 pm »

I... don't mention any patterns or lack thereof in my password choosing schema, personally >_>

... save for the lack of mentioning them, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: February 12, 2017, 09:42:26 pm »

But what if it was a clever misdirection

Now I am the cybersecurity experts
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: February 12, 2017, 09:50:39 pm »

I... don't mention any patterns or lack thereof in my password choosing schema, personally >_>

... save for the lack of mentioning them, I guess.
I hope that you at least have a password of over 10 char and one capital, one lower case, one number, and/or one symbol. Preferably at least one of all, since it's easy to make that.

Most important rule of password building: no one knows what your password looks like. They can rely on forcing it open, or on searching through certain things which are more likely than others (i.e. going through "password", "111111", "letmein", "fuckyou", etc), or even the most likely modulations (capitalizing the first letter) but after that they can't tell "L3tmE1n!!op@#rw323" from "LetMeIn1!1!1!1!1!1". The latter is obviously a lot easier to remember, but equally difficult to crack. It's easy to pad out your password length in such a way that makes it much more secure (provided you don't pad your password in the exact same way as everyone else, otherwise they'll just start checking that; i.e if everyone added "11111" or something to their password it would be easy to check through).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: February 12, 2017, 09:51:24 pm »

Curious, how much of the current state of the Republican party can be blamed on Reagan?  If I recall correctly, he did have a heavier focus on religion, American exceptionalism, and the military than prior Republicans...
Wanted to answer this, but I've been gone all day.

Reagan captured lighting in a bottle, there's no doubt about that. He took a good situation and used his PR and acting skills to make it a great situation (in this way, he is Trump's ironic mirror). I hate Reagan, but he was competent and after a fashion rather moderate in a way that captured most of America. It pulled the country as a whole rightward since the party is much more than the President's agenda, but Reagan instituted several policies I'm sure you've heard about for how they would get a modern Republican crucified.

The trifecta of social conservatives, economic conservatives, and hawks existed before Reagan but they had much, much lower crossover. The 70s have firmly passed into "real history" now, and this is why there's all sorts of weird incongruities like far-right churches arguing for welfare (for white Christians, at any rate) and what remained of the pre-realignment Republicans' social liberalism (see Barry Goldwater, right-wing eternal champion's candor against society for mistreating gay people). And the hawks definitely had a problem in the form of literally everything about Vietnam and there being a lot of people who remembered McCarthyism for the man himself. In a way, all this lack of unity turned into a strength when Carter started to lose popularity, because they were willing to give away secondary issues in exchange for the same from the other groups, and it was Reagan who sat at the center of it.

As for the Republicans today, their biggest thing I think is trying to make that lightning strike twice. The coalition is still solid (mostly, RIP religious right, only Pence is your savior now) but the membership is facing some endemic problems. Reagan is often satirically referred to in religious terminology for a reason, the eternal issue of nobody knowing what they're actually doing means the GOP's positions are often a legacy of the things Reagan did that they liked most, because surely if they just do what he did it will work out the same way.

Of course, if Reagan were around to see Trump, it would probably be at best with the eye-twitch of can't-say-anything-but-what-the-ever-loving-fuck.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:53:31 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: February 12, 2017, 09:53:47 pm »

Even Bush Senior has been like "I'm too old for this" ever since he was voted out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 12, 2017, 09:57:03 pm »

Not sure why we're discussing password methods. Not sure I'd want to discuss my password method, heh.

Anyhoo, heads may figuratively roll soon, soon being by the end of the summer probably, according to the article.

They've also been looking for a new press secretary. Not sure what that would mean for Spicer, maybe he'll go and be communications director full time, which is basically what his old job was in the RNC.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:00:23 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 3568