Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4206422 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #16680 on: January 24, 2018, 01:57:29 am »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-gttf-opening-statements-20180123-story.html

Part of the ongoing saga.

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/seven-baltimore-police-officers-indicted-on-federal-racketeering-charges/9078446

You mean that allowing civil forfeiture, and enabling civic government to use it to fund itself results in the law enforcement officers becoming organized robbers!?  SAY IT AINT SO!!! /s

For real people, civil servants need to remain servile, or they become civil oppressors that abuse their authority.  You do that by NOT enabling them to get every little thing they want to "make their job easier." (You know, like tanks, riot gear, things like that.) It also means paying attention to their mental health status, and when they become jaded with empathy deficits, you put them on light duty, like enforcing parking meters until they recover.

But that makes too much sense or something.

Admittedly, this is a pretty biased source to drag up, but also pretty interesting.
http://ij.org/report/policing-for-profit/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:26:49 am by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16681 on: January 24, 2018, 02:57:17 am »

@misko: Shouldn't that be 'Dark Lady'?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16682 on: January 24, 2018, 10:35:48 am »

No, because's she's actually Putin.

Putin uses male pronouns, so far as I know.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16683 on: January 24, 2018, 10:43:09 am »

He's going to break that glass ceiling by becoming the first Russian President of the United States.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16684 on: January 24, 2018, 11:33:18 am »

She is correct, because under his mask, Putin is secretly Merkel
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16685 on: January 24, 2018, 01:52:16 pm »

At some point it's just the Onion version of Joe Biden, over and over to infinity.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16686 on: January 24, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »

She is correct, because under his mask, Putin is secretly Merkel
Who is secretly 148-year-old Friedrich Trump, from Bavaria.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16687 on: January 24, 2018, 02:29:45 pm »

Admittedly, this is a pretty biased source to drag up, but also pretty interesting.

But combining profit motive with public service is the most 'Murrican thing one can do.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16688 on: January 24, 2018, 03:04:39 pm »

But combining profit motive with public service is the most 'Murrican thing one can do.
There will come the day that the US nukes itself to secure more profits for their RadAway and RadX producing companies
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16689 on: January 24, 2018, 03:27:26 pm »

I'm curious for our non-Americans in this thread, do other countries fund local governments out of ticket fines?  So like a speeding ticket goes to the state or city government.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16690 on: January 24, 2018, 03:58:28 pm »

Partly, as far as I know, but not to the same extent. Or perhaps rather, the strategy does not exist as a practice to the same extent. Sweden has three levels of government, communes, landthings, and the state, and all police goes under the state. While there were separate regional organs in the old police system they were mostly scuttled in the police reorganisation that was started a few years ago (the one that basically killed the Swedish police system), so there's basically just one police, and not different levels of police like local/city/state/federal. So all police are funded by the state level.

But yeah iirc there's some amount of a fine that the police get to keep.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16691 on: January 24, 2018, 04:12:53 pm »

Using things like traffic and parking tickets as a revenue stream is - in principle - a perfectly fine idea as long as there's a good system of checks and balances to ensure that the violations are genuine. Regulated traffic is safe traffic, and parking congestion is a serious problem in a lot of places. Thus, the only way that this can cause any real problem is if the laws are enforced unequally or the stops are fabricated.

Where the problem comes in is the idea of confiscating the profits of illegal operations. On paper, this is still reasonable enough - the fundamental purpose of policing is to deter and limit crime, after all, and the possibility of a few years in prison is a lot less of a deterrent if you get to keep all the money you made selling drugs or guns or whatever. After all, most people who get busted for theft have to compensate the people they robbed, and it is easy to argue that this is sort of the same principle. The trouble (besides rights issues - I'm looking at this from a practical sense, not a philosophical one) is that the rules for such a system are (have to be) so vague that any form of checks and balances are very difficult to enforce, and the financial potential is so high that it is ripe for abuse.

Police auto auctions are a special case in this regard. These are almost always vehicles that get impounded and never picked up, and are primarily a way for the police to dispose of the vehicles they've gotten stuck with.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16692 on: January 24, 2018, 04:22:40 pm »

So from what you're saying, the difference between civil forfeiture and a speeding ticket is that if I get a speeding ticket I can go to court to dispute it?

I suppose based on your post the other problem would be the "victimless" nature of drug crimes.  If I steal money from someone and get caught the police can give the money back.  But the police aren't going to give a drug dealer's money back to their clients.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16693 on: January 24, 2018, 04:32:37 pm »

Huh. Kinda' makes me think letting it happen, but having any funds generated pointedly not go to enforcement efforts could conceptually be a thing. Rather than back into police budgets, drug bust (or whatever) funds would go into healthcare/education/poverty reduction measures, etc.

... or did for a few seconds, after which the illness haze cleared enough I remembered half(/some indeterminate percentage of) the reason shit's like it is is because "collections" efforts are assumed to be there when budgeting is happening, and all that would mean is said other measures would get shafted in funding and expected to make up the shortfall with bandit money, like police precincts already are to varying degrees.

I'unno, maybe it can all go into a universal fund, but to access the fund costs like... fingers. Every few (tens of) thousand(s of) dollars requires the sacrifice of a finger. From the police chief equivalent, whoever is head of their accounting, whoever sets the budget, and one random officer. No more than once per year, no more than available amount of fingers. So you'd have the money there, but you'd have a holy shit incentive to get your costing estimates right the first time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16694 on: January 24, 2018, 04:41:31 pm »

So from what you're saying, the difference between civil forfeiture and a speeding ticket is that if I get a speeding ticket I can go to court to dispute it?
Sort of, but not quite. With traffic tickets, there are very firm limits on what you can be ticketed for, disputing it is fairly easy if you place a reasonable burden of proof on the police (requiring video evidence of the violation would handle anything but speeding, and even speeding could be evaluated by how the rest of traffic is moving), and the only thing that happens if the cops aggressively enforce the laws to raise more revenue (unless they're making up violations or unevenly enforcing) is that the roads get safer. In other words - Mission Accomplished.

I suppose based on your post the other problem would be the "victimless" nature of drug crimes.  If I steal money from someone and get caught the police can give the money back.  But the police aren't going to give a drug dealer's money back to their clients.

That's a pretty good summation (remembering that I'm discussing this solely from the perspective of practicality) of part of the other problem. A large part of the idea behind confiscating ill-gotten gains is that nobody wants people to think "Well, I could raise quite a bit of money by crystal meth, and if I do get caught it's probably only going to be five years for a first offense. I'll never make a million bucks working for five years, so I'll just think of jail as an unpleasant job if it comes to that". Since there's no way to use that money for restitution once it is confiscated, might as well use it to fund things. This makes sense on paper, but in practice it leads to things like catching somebody with half a joint in their pocket and confiscating the money from their wallet. It is just too abuseable.

The problem I don't think I adequately conveyed is that there is no way for a reasonable burden of proof to be placed - if you catch a guy selling coke, you have no way to know how much money he's made doing it, and thus he has no way to prove that that shiny new watch on his wrist or the fancy pickup in his driveway wasn't paid for with drug money. That fact alone means that corruption is inevitable.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 3566