Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4206268 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Government shutdown edition
« Reply #16650 on: January 21, 2018, 01:20:53 pm »

... I mean, I guess if you've given up on doing your job there's worse ways to spend your time? Could be waving candy at interns and trying to get them to step into his new van or something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16651 on: January 21, 2018, 01:28:11 pm »

Two days into the shutdown, and Trump is once again calling for the elimination of the filibuster. Is this man incapable of postulating the existence of the future? Did he never develop object permanence?

More realistically he's snubbing McConnell, though why Trump is so utterly persistent in the public persecution of his allies I'll never know.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16652 on: January 21, 2018, 01:31:22 pm »

... I mean, I guess if you've given up on doing your job there's worse ways to spend your time? Could be waving candy at interns and trying to get them to step into his new van or something.
We need public parks to keep delinquent congressmen off the streets.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16653 on: January 21, 2018, 01:42:52 pm »

Atleast then the interns are getting paid with something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16654 on: January 21, 2018, 01:58:11 pm »

Candy is nice, but I think the implied turtle dong would be a net negative for most folks. Grab the candy and run, I guess.

More realistically he's snubbing McConnell, though why Trump is so utterly persistent in the public persecution of his allies I'll never know.
Well, step one is him not thinking of them as allies. Not entirely sure trump understands the concept to begin with, at least in the way most people do.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16655 on: January 21, 2018, 02:08:45 pm »

Two days into the shutdown, and Trump is once again calling for the elimination of the filibuster. Is this man incapable of postulating the existence of the future? Did he never develop object permanence?

Maybe the Democrats should have thought of the future when they did their nuclear option.

Well, step one is him not thinking of them as allies. Not entirely sure trump understands the concept to begin with, at least in the way most people do.

Plus the fact that he wants to win and is willing to break or bend rules in order to win. It's just a continuation of the same attitude he has had most of his life with real estate deals.

And yes, he's not thinking that Democrats will be perfectly willing to exploit it just as the Republicans have.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16656 on: January 21, 2018, 02:18:13 pm »

He has allies in business, not the Republican party.  They hate his guts literally as much as Democrats do, or more.  There's a big difference between "benefits from Republican tax policy" and "agrees with the general Republican platform".  This is not a sanctity-of-marriage kind of guy, and he doesn't play ball with party leadership.

The monkey paw gave us the political outsider people clamored for.  That doesn't mean "progressive", much less "competent".  "Wielding political capital" is by definition missing. 

The transparently bitter support Republicans gave in the election was to stop Clinton from winning.  And now they pretend to cooperate so they can lay all the blame at his feat, later.  It's perfect - they don't have to punish us for voting outside the lines...  merely stand by and watch.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16657 on: January 21, 2018, 04:36:01 pm »

*waggles hand* He has people he works with and hasn't betrayed (much/yet) in business. Probably people that has enough blackmail on him (and vice versa) the relationship's fairly steady. Less sure about allies, heh.

... though most of the GOP leadership doesn't seem to be particularly sanctity-of-marriage kinda' folks, either, for what it's worth. Probably guess the not playing ball thing causes more of a problem than that kinda' stuff.
Ask not!
Ask!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16658 on: January 21, 2018, 06:23:53 pm »

An acquaintance just reported that a medication he takes suddenly jumped in price from $8 to $132 a month...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16659 on: January 21, 2018, 09:57:42 pm »

Damn you Obama, still causing drug prices to skyrocket.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16660 on: January 21, 2018, 10:12:25 pm »

C'mon ree, get with the times. This was clearly clinton's fault. Obama's, like, yesterday's fad.

E: Though I guess it could have been turtleman holding a knife to the throat of the manufacturer's most treasured kitten. Threatening small helpless things with death to make stuff more expensive is apparently mitch's shtick nowadays.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:17:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16661 on: January 21, 2018, 11:59:20 pm »

Candy is nice, but I think the implied turtle dong would be a net negative for most folks. Grab the candy and run, I guess.

Implied Turtle Dong is the best thing to come out of this shutdown by far.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16662 on: January 22, 2018, 12:22:14 am »

Puerto Rico was somewhat important re: pharmaceutical and other medical things, so them being hit by the hurricane and it taking so long to sort them out has had repercussions.

I think saline shortages have been a thing recently.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16663 on: January 22, 2018, 12:25:45 am »

It isn't like medical grade saline is terribly complicated to make though.  It's just a calibrated solution of sodium and potassium chlorides in sterile water.  The obstacle would be the quality assurance oversight to assure it is free from contaminants and microbes.  Setting up an operation would have all kinds of bureaucratic fun involved getting properly certified, which means a big initial outlay of expense to get started.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #16664 on: January 22, 2018, 02:23:14 pm »

Senate came together and brought the government back online. Naturally, Trump is taking all the credit for fixing the mess after he refused to talk to either party the whole time.

I'm hearing some feedback that this is being seen as a loss for the Dems, because they didn't get the DACA fix they were demanding. In my view, they did get the attention of the nation, and a public statement from the Republicans that they intend to resolve the DACA issue in the coming weeks. If DACA gets fixed, Dem's get credit for making that happen. If DACA doesn't get fixed, Republicans look like lying child-haters in an election year. Either way, feels like a Dem win to me.
Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 3566