Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] 1086 1087 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4201265 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Back to work Congress!
« Reply #16260 on: January 09, 2018, 02:09:36 am »

(Puts finger to temple contemplatively--- Ripple dissolve imagination sequence)

Oprah: As a woman in Hollywood, I know all about the difficulties of being of a shorter stature than most of the people I work with, and the deep, internal feelings of insecurity and apprehensiveness this can cause. That's why on Today's special episode of the Oprah Presidential series, I have a very important, and highly misunderstood guest, Mr Kim Jong Un. Mr, Un, can you tell us how you feel about being just a little over 4 feet tall, in a world dominated by western giants?

KJU: Oprah, I really don't think my stature has anything whatsoever to do with my country's needs for a viable nuclear program.

Oprah: I did not mean to offend you Mr Un, Truly.  I was merely observing that for the most part, Nuclear weapons are a thing one acquires to never use-- The ferocity at which you and your country have pursued a nuclear armament program seems highly characteristic of a deeply set identity crisis, and a crippling sense of insecurity. While I did not mean to imply that being of a reduced stature compared to other world leaders was in any way debilitating, I was only expressing how I understood the often irrational feelings of insecurity and agitation that this can cause. You might not know this, but for years, I wore platforms to make myself taller on my show.

KJU: Don't worry, so did my father. I inherited quite a collection, but I have no need of them.

(end imagination sequence)

Gawds... That was horrible. I hope I did not burn too many brain cells doing that...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16261 on: January 09, 2018, 12:22:25 pm »

As I said before, while Oprah definetly has qualities that would make for a great diplomat, I'd really rather there be someone with actual political experience. Can you imagine the Democrats being unified on major legislation without the help of a President that is unable to lead them legislatively? They're unified now, yes, but they still have leadership problems and would be about as fractured as the Republicans are. The Republicans did get the tax stuff through, but that was purely from fear, anxiety, and desperation, not legislative help from Trump.

Though honestly, I think she could talk Kim Jong-Un into calming down and suspending his nuclear program, she has that kind of personality, charisma, and diplomacy.

I think Oprah would be much more capable of doing things than Trump, but she would be hitting the same learning curve that Trump is running into and one an otherwise seasoned politician wouldn't have as much of a problem with.

Besides, I'm pretty sure someone can still have knowledge of how to work things in Washington D.C. while still being an outsider.

I don't disagree she's be better than Trump, but that's setting the bar VERY low.

Unfortunately, that's where the bar is.

https://jezebel.com/5766506/oprahs-long-history-of-sketchy-experts-and-endorsements

Not the most reliable source, but it at least lays out a pattern of poor judgement.

As for diplomacy, I think she's got the same sort of ego that Trump does. She's gotten unquestioning respect for so long she'll expect it from other world leaders... and she won't get it with no effort like she normally does. Maybe she can adapt to that, to at the very least not expect it, but I think she'll have difficulty figuring out how to deal with someone openly hostile to her. She can't just buy KJU a car and hug it out.

Who she chooses as campaign staff will certainly give a clue as to what she's likely to do. Unlike Trump, who could only get either F-list or no-list staff, I don't see her struggling to gain A-list quality campaign staff willing to help her out.

-imagination sequence-

Lol.

Anyways, as has been said here and elsewhere, it's all rumors all the way down until people start actually running in mid to late 2019. I think we'll see a crowded slate not unlike Republicans had in 2016, but hopefully it thins out a bit faster than it did then. The debates were so crowded that some were forced to have a side 'kiddies table'.

Oh, and btw pardoned ex-sherriff Joe Arpaio announced a Senate bid for Arizona. Not surprised that he wants to stay in power one way or another. Another Republican, Rep. Martha McSally is planning on announcing later in the week.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:26:20 pm by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16262 on: January 09, 2018, 12:35:45 pm »

Unlike Trump, who could only get either F-list or no-list staff
Wait one doggone minute! He said he knew the best people!

My faith in him is hurt. Hurt, I tell you! I might not vote for him in 2024, at this rate...

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16263 on: January 09, 2018, 04:24:46 pm »

Aaaand there goes Bannon

Not that much of a surprise at this point, but it's still pretty crazy to see him go.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16265 on: January 09, 2018, 04:38:03 pm »

He (Alex Jones that is) seems to have donned a beard, mustache, and glasses pretty fast...

Aaaand there goes Bannon

Not that much of a surprise at this point, but it's still pretty crazy to see him go.

He really has nobody but himself to blame for his downfall.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16266 on: January 09, 2018, 07:10:21 pm »

Though, being bannon/a long term right wing media producer, you can give good odds he'll find plenty of people anyway. Probably at least one or two that straight up don't exist.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16267 on: January 09, 2018, 10:36:38 pm »

Trump is going to the Davos conference later this month. Staffers are saying it's supposed to be like a stink bomb at the elietes.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16268 on: January 09, 2018, 10:55:23 pm »

Trump is going to the Davos conference later this month. Staffers are saying it's supposed to be like a stink bomb at the elietes.
Immature, crude, and just plain tacky?  Sounds about right.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16269 on: January 10, 2018, 03:32:17 am »

As I said before, while Oprah definetly has qualities that would make for a great diplomat, I'd really rather there be someone with actual political experience. Can you imagine the Democrats being unified on major legislation without the help of a President that is unable to lead them legislatively? They're unified now, yes, but they still have leadership problems and would be about as fractured as the Republicans are. The Republicans did get the tax stuff through, but that was purely from fear, anxiety, and desperation, not legislative help from Trump.

Though honestly, I think she could talk Kim Jong-Un into calming down and suspending his nuclear program, she has that kind of personality, charisma, and diplomacy.

I think Oprah would be much more capable of doing things than Trump, but she would be hitting the same learning curve that Trump is running into and one an otherwise seasoned politician wouldn't have as much of a problem with.

Besides, I'm pretty sure someone can still have knowledge of how to work things in Washington D.C. while still being an outsider.

I don't disagree she's be better than Trump, but that's setting the bar VERY low.

https://jezebel.com/5766506/oprahs-long-history-of-sketchy-experts-and-endorsements

Not the most reliable source, but it at least lays out a pattern of poor judgement.

As for diplomacy, I think she's got the same sort of ego that Trump does. She's gotten unquestioning respect for so long she'll expect it from other world leaders... and she won't get it with no effort like she normally does. Maybe she can adapt to that, to at the very least not expect it, but I think she'll have difficulty figuring out how to deal with someone openly hostile to her. She can't just buy KJU a car and hug it out.
Didn't she have that babykilling skank jenny mcshitspray on her show several times without slapping her upside the head and telling her to shut the fuck up?

I mean, Oprah > Trump, but literally anybody who didn't tacitly endorse shit which lead to whooping cough and other awful childhood ilnesses springing up would be better than both.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16270 on: January 10, 2018, 03:46:13 am »

Among other things. Oprah's style is every bit as tightbeamed on disgusting irrationality wearing a cowl of "open-mindedness" as Trump's is. The only real differences are that Oprah isn't reflexively contrarian and she actually knows how to work a room.

That's the great irony - Trump was completely right when he wanted her as his running mate. They are very much alike.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16271 on: January 10, 2018, 04:01:26 am »

Nobody's talking about Trump pushing for an attack on NK?

If it's a bluff, it's a stupid bluff. By causing Kim to think that war is inevitable, he becomes less and less controllable. If he thinks "regime change" is coming regardless, then he no longer needs to restrain himself, and he'll have his loyalists close to him.

If it's an actual strategy, it's outright insane. China would be obliged to respond to a US first strike, and that war would make WWII look like the Emu war, even if it doesn't go nuclear.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16272 on: January 10, 2018, 05:11:40 am »

But... but NK hasn't done anything?  The situation hasn't changed since Trump took office.  Like I understand why we're worried about NK in general but why now of all times?

Edit: Reading the article, what they're considering is a minor attack akin to the Syria missile strike.  So all the drawbacks of escalating the situation, no chance of actually toppling Kim.  Excellent.  I wonder if SK breaks off their relationship with us, would China take them in?  So like, the same way we're technically friends with two different Chinas, they could end up friends with two different Koreas...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:15:16 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16273 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:21 am »

Can only imagine folks haven't talked much on it because the stupid shitsucker has been drunkenly staggering in that direction for months.

As for the now, I seem to recall trump and kim's twitter dick jousting has either been persisting (which with trump's personality could easily lead him to escalate) or intensifying lately. Which pricks the prick's ego either way, something which wouldn't cause much surprise (horror or something, probably, but not surprise) if trump risked nuclear war to try to assuage.

For similar news in recent times, you can look to the whole pakistan security aid thing, in which fuckwit and co. may have managed to actually start our imminent withdrawal from afghanistan by way of convincing our only friggin' land route to stop granting passage. It's much of what a lot of people have wanted, just done in roughly the most massively fucking idiotic way possible. Which isn't to say the NK shit is anything like that first bit, just endemic of this administration's (lack of) geopolitical finesse.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16274 on: January 10, 2018, 10:05:44 am »

NK has long concerned me way more than the middle east.  Not because of nuclear stuff, but because the relationship we have with the middle east is at least understandable even though it's often disagreeable.

NK - just doesn't make any sense at all.  Aside from us sanctioning them for human rights things, why are they so mad? Why do we think they are so scary, when we do have the capability to deter any attack they might mount?

It's all just idiotic.  Playing a game of chicken or something even more stupid like "giving them a bloody nose" just makes no sense at all.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] 1086 1087 ... 3566