Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4195526 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Congress attempts to cross streams while working on tax 'reform'
« Reply #14970 on: November 27, 2017, 03:10:19 pm »

In an extreme last minute 11th hour wildcard bid, a former aide of John Kelley is launching a write in campaign. https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/27/lee-busby-alabama-senate-race-2017-260985?lo=ap_a1

Given that there is just two weeks before the Alabama election, he has a nanometer above zero of a chance of winning, but it may be enough to leech a couple hundred votes from either side. So, the Republicans got their wish for someone to do a write-in campaign, but it's too late to have any significant affect on it unless it comes down to a few hundred votes or something.

And of course Trump goes and calls Sen. Warren 'Pocohontas' during a ceremony honoring Navaho code talkers, all the while standing in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson no less. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/361990-trump-calls-warren-pocahontas-at-event-honoring-native-american
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:37:22 pm by smjjames »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14971 on: November 27, 2017, 05:41:12 pm »

...jesus wept.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14972 on: November 27, 2017, 05:51:27 pm »

...But Kafka demands more. Kafka demands chaos.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14974 on: November 27, 2017, 10:54:26 pm »

In an extreme last minute 11th hour wildcard bid, a former aide of John Kelley is launching a write in campaign. https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/27/lee-busby-alabama-senate-race-2017-260985?lo=ap_a1

Given that there is just two weeks before the Alabama election, he has a nanometer above zero of a chance of winning, but it may be enough to leech a couple hundred votes from either side. So, the Republicans got their wish for someone to do a write-in campaign, but it's too late to have any significant affect on it unless it comes down to a few hundred votes or something.

And of course Trump goes and calls Sen. Warren 'Pocohontas' during a ceremony honoring Navaho code talkers, all the while standing in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson no less. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/361990-trump-calls-warren-pocahontas-at-event-honoring-native-american

He's an utterly classless moron. It's amazing, but somehow he gets worse every day.

As for network meutrality, when it passes I'm just giving up on the Internet. It was a nice fad while it lasted.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14975 on: November 28, 2017, 01:12:17 am »

The attacks on Elizabeth Warren are ridiculous, she only claimed to be some part American indian or something like that, and her cousins also tell the same story. Clearly, it's a story that's passed down in the family since at least her grandparents time. She didn't make it up, unless she somehow brainwashed other relatives that she's never met to tell the same story:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/09/15/elizabeth-warren-family-has-mixed-memories-about-heritage/o9oXvDiUMcXiipkyuinU5M/story.html

Basically this lady's grandmother was Elizabeth Warren's grandmother's sister, and the two grandmothers married two brothers, who the grandma swore were half indian. That makes this lady's father and whichever parent of Elizabeth Warren, 1/4 Indian, and Elizabeth Warren as 1/8th Indian.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:27:20 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14976 on: November 28, 2017, 01:33:03 am »

Irrelevant anyway. Condemning race scorecarding in an environment where corruption, rape, child rape, and treason aren't considered disqualifying for politicians is practically satire.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14977 on: November 28, 2017, 02:27:19 am »

Don't forget white nationalism, too. That one counts for double hypocrisy points.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14978 on: November 28, 2017, 05:09:59 am »

I just found out some months ago from my father's genealogical research that the story I he once told me and that I've been going around retelling since I was a kid about our Walloon ancestry most likely isn't true. Which is a shame.
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14979 on: November 28, 2017, 02:49:38 pm »

The attacks on Elizabeth Warren are ridiculous, she only claimed to be some part American indian or something like that, and her cousins also tell the same story. Clearly, it's a story that's passed down in the family since at least her grandparents time. She didn't make it up, unless she somehow brainwashed other relatives that she's never met to tell the same story:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/09/15/elizabeth-warren-family-has-mixed-memories-about-heritage/o9oXvDiUMcXiipkyuinU5M/story.html

Basically this lady's grandmother was Elizabeth Warren's grandmother's sister, and the two grandmothers married two brothers, who the grandma swore were half indian. That makes this lady's father and whichever parent of Elizabeth Warren, 1/4 Indian, and Elizabeth Warren as 1/8th Indian.
Claiming to be part Native American is a common “annoying white people” thing.  You’re 0% Native American unless you’re part of a tribe.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14980 on: November 28, 2017, 02:51:56 pm »

Claiming to be part Native American is a common “annoying white people” thing.  You’re 0% Native American unless you’re part of a tribe.

I always understood it as a thing that ignorant people do because they think it makes them seem interesting. I don't understand why they think that about fractions of Native American heritage. When I say I'm 1/8 Polish no one cares.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14981 on: November 28, 2017, 02:54:21 pm »

Native Americans, for all Americans have not given a shit about them, stolen from them, stuffed them into shitty little corners of America to be forgotten.....

Still retain some kind of mystique for your average white bread American. The "Mystic Man" fallacy and all that BS. It's especially bad in the South. Everyone thinks they're fucking part Cherokee even though they don't know shit about Cherokee culture, don't care about their struggles and wouldn't spend a dime to improve their lives or lobby on their behalf.

It's pretty much cultural appropriation for the basest of reasons.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14982 on: November 28, 2017, 03:13:16 pm »

I always understood it as a thing that ignorant people do because they think it makes them seem interesting. I don't understand why they think that about fractions of Native American heritage. When I say I'm 1/8 Polish no one cares.
I agree that most people overemphasize it mostly because it seems interesting, but that's actually true of many European ethnicities as well.  Irish ancestry is particularly noted for this, as particularly self-aware Plastic Paddies (and any actual Irish folks around Plastic Paddies) may attest.  While you can thank people like James Macpherson and Walter Scott for making Lowland Scots actually think about Gaels as more than northern barbarians and thus helping spark modern Scottish identity, much of the blame for modern tartanry can also be laid at their feet.  There's also a sense of social identity above and beyond the fundaments of American culture in particular that grants a sense of belonging to some limited group and a point of commonality with others of that like group, especially if that group is historically "downtrodden."  This is mostly how "one drop" rules turned from a tool of racist oppression into a term of racial self-identification. 

That said, unlike being Polish, being fractionally Native actually has practical benefits.  You need to be such-and-such a percentage Native American to join most tribes.  Grant programs to Native American students typically require proof that you're at least 1/4 Native American, even if you're not in a formal tribe, and being able to claim such also assists with anywhere affirmative action is in place.  This has led to the occasional legal battle within tribes as raising the requirements for native blood in particular tribes to remove people who are "insufficiently Indian" has the interesting (and surely coincidental) side effect of also reducing the number of people who federal aid and tribal income are spread between, increasing the amount received by those still in the tribe.  To listen to right-wing activists talking about Warren back when this scandal was fresh, you'd think she walked into Harvard's financial aid offices with buckskins and a feather and walked out with a freshly-scalped scholarship. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:15:19 pm by Culise »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14983 on: November 28, 2017, 03:14:06 pm »

Er...  Some of my ancestors were Native American regardless of your feelings on the matter.  People overemphasizing their racial ancestry can be annoying, but it's hardly just a "white people" thing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14984 on: November 28, 2017, 03:24:02 pm »

It also is, and used to be, a white Southern euphemism for having a Black ancestor, so as to avoid the stigma of being a product of miscegenation.

Just in case it wasn't awful enough.
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 3566