Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202978 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Mueller investigation charges Manafort and bis. assoc. Gates withfraud
« Reply #14505 on: November 07, 2017, 08:30:58 pm »

If only the trans state legislator was in a red state or someplace like NC, heh. Remains to be seen how much of a margin Northampton will have. And Bannon is probably going to call it a victory for Trumpism somehow, depending on the margin.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Mueller investigation charges Manafort and bis. assoc. Gates withfraud
« Reply #14506 on: November 07, 2017, 08:39:40 pm »

Virginia is just about a swing state, and it's certainly no liberal paradise. It's not the kind of place where you have to distance yourself from the GOP platform to get elected. This was the state that required women to get violated by a vibrating probe before they were allowed an abortion, remember?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:41:26 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: November 07, 2017, 08:43:24 pm »

Virginia is just about a swing state, and it's certainly no liberal paradise. It's not the kind of place where you have to distance yourself from the GOP platform to get elected. This was the state that required women to get violated by a vibrating probe before they were allowed an abortion, remember.

I thought that was NC (in addition to the whole bathroom bill thing), but yeah, I don't remember which state that was and I'm aware that VA isn't a liberal bastion. The Democrats are concentrated (as usual) in the Areas around D.C. and the urban and suburban areas while large swaths of the state are rural.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:54:22 pm by smjjames »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: November 07, 2017, 08:49:38 pm »

Last 3 years have been blue here in VA, at least for presidential elections. Before that it was solid GOP. Fun fact: The Dem Governor is specifically against vibrating probes on his website.

Also hey, so D.C is not in VA. Not sure if I misread that (I'm sure I am, just poking fun).
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: November 07, 2017, 08:53:44 pm »

Well, I did say the D.C. area, like the area surrounding it. Guess I could specify more clearly.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: November 07, 2017, 09:05:23 pm »

Well, we tend to swing heavily towards GOP for non-presidential votes, so let's see what happens.

Update: Northam (DEM) won VA.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:14:53 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: November 07, 2017, 09:16:40 pm »

Maine medicaid expansion looks likely to pass.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: November 07, 2017, 09:36:02 pm »

Not only did Gillespie lose VA, but he lost some pretty safe districts, districts that he won handedly in his 2014 Senate race. Virginia House of Delegates (you and your weird "commonwealth" system) also looks likely to flip to the Dems.

Too small a sample to read definitive tea leaves for 2018, but it's encouraging. I would love to see an outright political massacre one year from now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: November 07, 2017, 09:41:28 pm »

Trump is majorly flattering SK and yet no mention of SK having some of the best gamers in the world? I'm thinking of the Starcraft franchise primarily.

Probably wouldn't register for Trumps generation and most of those in the SK National Assembly, but if you're gonna flatter SK, that's definetly one thing to mention.

Then again, it'd be really out of context in the general context of the whole thing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:43:06 pm by smjjames »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: November 07, 2017, 09:44:49 pm »

Those several minutes of praise for SK golfers at Trump golf courses were painful.

He's now delivering a particularly brutal diatribe against NK however. I'm eager to find out where he's going with this...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: November 07, 2017, 09:48:24 pm »

I guess it's his way of flattering Krean gamers, it's in context for him. It was flattery all the way down anyhow.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:51:57 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: November 07, 2017, 09:56:17 pm »

Trump is majorly flattering SK and yet no mention of SK having some of the best gamers in the world? I'm thinking of the Starcraft franchise primarily.

Probably wouldn't register for Trumps generation and most of those in the SK National Assembly, but if you're gonna flatter SK, that's definetly one thing to mention.

Then again, it'd be really out of context in the general context of the whole thing.
"When North Korea sends us their gamers, they're not sending their best. They're bringing Zerg rushes, they're bringing Ghost nuke spam. And some, I assume, give their life for Aiur."

EDIT:
The exit polls in VA are roughly what I'd expect:

Younger than 45 are going 2-1 for Democrats, 45-64 (the plurality of voters in the state) are basically 50/50, old people are still Republican (though even that is only a 52/48 split).

White men: 2-1 Republican
White women: essentially a 1-1 split with slight (R) lean.
Black men: 4-1 Democratic
Black women: 9-1 Democratic

High school education or less: 3-2 Republican

Northam also won independents by a 2-1 margin.

TL;DR: Old, white guys with no secondary education still Republicans. Everyone else trending Democrat. No surprise there.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:06:55 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: November 07, 2017, 10:04:19 pm »

Lol RedKing.

Anyways, during the part where it was addressed directly to Kim Jong-Un, he was trying to give an olive branch and a path out while at the same time still doing the complete denuclearization line. NK has said absolutely 1000% no to that, repeatedly.

Aside from the different tone, sounded like something we could have heard from just about any president.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: November 07, 2017, 10:16:22 pm »

And Trump has already tweeted that Ed Gillespie lost because he didn't embrace Trump. Whereas exit polls indicate that, no, he lost pretty much because a majority of people fucking loathe Trump and those who did voted overwhelmingly for Northam, even in some traditionally reddish-purple areas. The rural parts of Virginia (basically, the whole state outside of the DC metro, Blacksburg, Richmond and the Norfolk cityplex) continued to vote red, but those areas have been conservative since time immemorial.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: November 07, 2017, 10:35:21 pm »

I got the distinct impression that the whole NK speech was preparation for things to come. Like, if it comes to war, we'll be able to say that at least we tried to offer them peace. And our allies are more likely to rally against NK after hearing all those bad things about them.
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 3566