Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202940 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Mueller investigation charges Manafort and bis. assoc. Gates withfraud
« Reply #14490 on: November 06, 2017, 04:48:32 pm »

On the taxing bullets thing, that really doesn't sound reasonable, given how cheap they likely are already.

Put a small bullet tax on, then tell everyone the tax will go up next year. Repeat the scare-story every year about the imminent rise in bullet taxes. Use the bullet tax to pay for better schools.

Basically, with everyone stockpiling bullets unnecessarily, you'll have a windfall, and the idiots constantly panick-buying all the bullets will in fact cause bullet shortages and excessive bullet prices.
Knowing the US education system they would use the funds to cut normal funding sources like they did with the lottery and the schools will end up with less in the end. Seriously the US needs centralized school funding. The local funding strategy just shits on poor people.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Mueller investigation charges Manafort and bis. assoc. Gates withfraud
« Reply #14491 on: November 06, 2017, 04:57:17 pm »

Kind of a tangent, but I fucking hate the term "fake news". It's so infuriatingly stupid. Whatever happened to the perfect serviceable word "propaganda" or "lies".
Fake news. It's a wonderful term.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: November 06, 2017, 05:04:18 pm »

Don't forget Jeff Gannon ... don't let them forget the G-man.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Gannon

If there was ever fake news, that was it.

I remember his bio on his website: "I'm everything the left hates: I'm a straight white male, I drive an SUV" etc etc. He was also notable for launching an attack on John Kerry in the 2004 election which labeled Kerry secretly gay because Kerry supported repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell (If I recall correctly, it's been a while).

Turns out Gannon was a gay prostitute some of Bush's colleagues found in Texas, gave a new identity, put through a 2-day journalism "diploma", set up a fake "journal" and got special daily passes to get into the whitehouse press corp, despite not passing the security clearance to get a congressional press pass. FOX for example loved this guy, he was frequently the go-to man in Washington for commentary by FOX. Seriously, the purported fake news is kiddie stuff compared to the complexity of the operation to make sure they had a friendly stooge in the press gallery under Bush. BTW I'm kinda wondering how the Republicans involved in this actually met the gay prostitute in the first place ...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:19:20 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: November 06, 2017, 05:36:40 pm »

Unless of course, you make it in such a way that it can't work without the computer, but computer-less guns are going to stick around.
I think that they use electro-percussive firing mechanisms (i.e. fly-by-wire, from the trigger, instead of mechanical) with some form of positive signal to the firing-element that can't just be emulated by hot-wiring the Walther P99 with an external PP9, as it were.

But I've heard (and understand, in the context of someone who actually wants a gun for home-defence) that the big problem is if there's a false negative on the palm-print scanner in the grip (or wristband close-proximity RFID detector or whatever) at the point when the user really wants to shoot the home-invading intruder then this would be a Bad Thing™, and considered a worse one than the current Bad Thing™ of the intruder finding the alternate eLock-free gun themselves, during their initial pillaging, and then using it upon the doubly-unlucky owner.

(Gun debates are gun debates, and all I can say is that it'd be the rare burglar who would break into my own British home bringing a gun in case I also happened to have a firearm. I'm not in the rare kind of high-risk position of likely having/needing a legal/illegal firearm and thus such felons would tool themselves up accordingly in response. Knives may be brought, or just something hard and solid, though I've also never known any miscreant to target my abode, regardless of armament. It's different in the US, because there are more guns than people, already, so gun control has a problem of inertia in both the legal and illegal cohorts of ownership, as the so-called 'failed' gun-control areas have to contend with easy illicit access from elsewhere. And the Wild West mentaility meaning that hot, velocitous, lead is deeply embedded in the collective Americana DNA (and maybe somewhere else). It's above my paygrade, the answer to that conundrum.)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14494 on: November 06, 2017, 05:45:24 pm »

BTW I'm kinda wondering how the Republicans involved in this actually met the gay prostitute in the first place ...

They're called Log Cabin Republicans. Don't ask me how they can support Republican ideology when Republican ideology shits all over their primary identity point, but they're a real thing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14495 on: November 06, 2017, 07:20:05 pm »

I just listened to the news conference regarding the shooting. It basically went something like this...

"Hi everyone. Yesterday, the shooter shot some people. And I hope everyone noticed how I referred to him as 'the shooter', because that loser does not deserve to be named. I'm so much better than him because I didn't use his name. And now, I'm going to turn things over to this other guy."

"Thanks first guy. And I want to especially thank you for not using the shooters name. And I hope everyone notices that I also am not using his name, because I'm awesome, and that nameless guy sucks, which is why he doesn't get to have a name anymore. Names are for cool people, like me, and that guy who talked before me; we get to have names because we don't shoot people. I just hope that everyone can learn from this experience, that if you shoot a bunch of people, nobody will ever use your name again."

I'm so glad that we can focus on what's really important at times like this.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: November 06, 2017, 07:37:20 pm »

I mean, preventing the hunting of fame through mass violence is a good idea I think. Bunch of mass shooters wanted fame/recognition. I'm not sure they know anything else about his motives and whatnot, maybe they will follow up with something more meaningful.

In other news Pence is flying out to address the scene of the shooting.

UPDATE:
A mistake on the part of the Air Force allowed the Texas shooter to buy guns. Looks like they never entered the domestic abuse charges properly, so they never came up for background checks. Also, his Mother-in-law went to this church, and may have been the target/motive.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:42:14 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14497 on: November 07, 2017, 12:17:37 am »

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that not using his name is a good thing.

Which of course means assholes are going to virtue signal using it, but they're assholes so they're going to do that anyway. There are assholes on 4chan who "virtue" signal by posting swastikas and trying to double up on the racial slurs...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: November 07, 2017, 01:34:57 am »

(Haven't seen the press conference.) It's a thing that professionals in the field support, at least the nixing of the perp's rep part. Not sure how much flipside self-centering.is asked for, of the spokespeople dodging round the first issue, if that's more the complaint.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14499 on: November 07, 2017, 02:05:43 am »

Thing is, it's a problem Older Than Feudalism.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14500 on: November 07, 2017, 08:46:20 am »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/11/trump-space-adviser-blue-origin-and-spacex-rockets-arent-really-commercial/

Questioned whether this belonged in Space Thread or AmeriPol, but the attention getter is the political stupidity behind it... so yeah.

Just glad to see that ALL of Trump's picks seem to be morons and he's not sneaking in a moderately smart villain on us that's manipulating things from the background as Head of FEMA or something.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14501 on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:19 pm »

As I'm sure some of you are aware, there's w bunch of off season elections happening tonight, the two main ones are the NJ and Virginia Governor elections, though there's 15 others going on too, varying from mayoral to state gov to a couple ballot measures. https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/06/15-elections-you-should-be-watching-244601

I would use url bbcode tags, but doing those are a real PITA on mobile, and I'm without my computer ATM.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14502 on: November 07, 2017, 06:51:59 pm »

Voted in the VA on me lunch break.  8)

It closes in 10m, just made it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14504 on: November 07, 2017, 08:19:36 pm »

Double post I know, but the Virginia governorship and associated positions are looking like a Democratic blowout, and New Jersey's governorship is all but guaranteed to go Dem. VA13 is looking like it'll be going to the first trans state legislator.

No news on the NY constitutional convention or the various referendums yet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 3566