Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202920 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Mueller investigation charges Manafort and bis. assoc. Gates withfraud
« Reply #14475 on: November 06, 2017, 03:45:25 pm »

1000th page. Whee!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Mueller investigation charges Manafort and bis. assoc. Gates withfraud
« Reply #14476 on: November 06, 2017, 03:46:08 pm »

Fake news. The page number is 300.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14477 on: November 06, 2017, 03:47:12 pm »

On the taxing bullets thing, that really doesn't sound reasonable, given how cheap they likely are already.

Put a small bullet tax on, then tell everyone the tax will go up next year. Repeat the scare-story every year about the imminent rise in bullet taxes. Use the bullet tax to pay for better schools.

Basically, with everyone stockpiling bullets unnecessarily, you'll have a windfall, and the idiots constantly panick-buying all the bullets will in fact cause bullet shortages and excessive bullet prices.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:50:48 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14478 on: November 06, 2017, 03:49:57 pm »

That has the small side-effect of everyone now having a bunch of bullets stored up.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14479 on: November 06, 2017, 03:50:18 pm »

Page 600 because differing posts per page settings.

On the taxing bullets thing, that really doesn't sound reasonable, given how cheap they likely are already.

Put a small bullet tax on, then tell everyone the tax will go up next year. Repeat the scare-story every year about the imminent rise in bullet taxes. Use the bullet tax to pay for better schools.

The Republicans are never going to go with that. Probably more likely it would show up as a state or local tax though, but then, ppl are just gonna buy elsewhere. Any sort of gun law really needs to be whole country in order to be effective.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14480 on: November 06, 2017, 03:51:54 pm »

Taxing bullets (particularly to such a silly degree) would make hunting and range shooting impractical, yet do almost nothing to stop malicious actors.  Nobody wins.

Put a small bullet tax on, then tell everyone the tax will go up next year. Repeat the scare-story every year. Use the bullet tax to pay for better schools.
Harness FUD for a good cause?  Intriguing!
(and happy kilo-page woo)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14481 on: November 06, 2017, 03:53:13 pm »

Yeah @smj I was talking more generally rather than about this specific event.

I'll say that part of the problem with domestic abuse is proving it actually happened. It's why is such a frustratingly pervasive problem. It's in the vein of rape in that there were only two people present and very little physical indicator. To use a trope, I can get bruises from falling down the stairs.

Also, it requires a victim to go through things the might be terrified to address. I suppose this might be a bit off topic. I do think that someone with a domestic abuse conviction should be screened from buying guns.

Quote from: smj
Conservatives are still gonna cry slippery slope, though yeah, would probably be better if liberals and progressives tried more incrementally than making conservatives think that liberals/progressives are really aiming for a complete ban or something like that.

Theres a very vocal lot of people who do want that, is the problem. People always point to the most dramatic example of their opposition to use as an example.

Agreed though, it would have to be federal to make any difference.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14482 on: November 06, 2017, 04:00:17 pm »

Like, I'll repeat. Isp added a little. But there was no problem proving domestic abuse happened in the case that ultimately got him discharged. Dude cracked his ex-wife's kid's skull, among whatever else went on.

Pretty sure tex actually has a flat ban for folks with domestic abuse convictions, or something along those lines. Enforcement is as fucked as it ever is when chunks of the country's political actors are fairly actively trying to sabotage it, of course.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14483 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:47 pm »

Like, I'll repeat. Isp added a little. But there was no problem proving domestic abuse happened in the case that ultimately got him discharged. Dude cracked his ex-wife's kid's skull, among whatever else went on.

Pretty sure tex actually has a flat ban for folks with domestic abuse convictions, or something along those lines. Enforcement is as fucked as it ever is when chunks of the country's political actors are fairly actively trying to sabotage it, of course.

Also doesn't work when the person lives in Texas and buys it elsewhere. I don't think any other countries have the patchwork of gun laws that we do, and because of that, any gun laws that are done at the federal level have to be either vague or extremely specific because it would be unpopular on both sides, one for enforcing more gun laws and the other for imposing laxer gun laws.

@dunamis: The other problem is that politically, the middle ground doesn't appear to exist at all, like the e is a literal chasm in the middle that the politicians are unable to bridge. It just defaults to mental illness, which can't fix everything (and yet they're decreasing funding for mental health care) there has yet to be a case where they are absolutely unable to use mental illness as an answer.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:13:24 pm by smjjames »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14484 on: November 06, 2017, 04:15:28 pm »

Okay but like seriously, how many mass shooters have had prior diagnosis of mental illness?  And honestly something like depression shouldn't count, since the reason depressed people shouldn't own guns is unrelated to mass shootings.  Even if past mass shooters had mental illnesses, they wouldn't have been caught in the first place by the existing mental health services.  And I absolutely refuse to accept that "improve mental health" is going to be accomplished if the motive is "because we're afraid of the mentally ill."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14485 on: November 06, 2017, 04:16:00 pm »

I think our entire culture as a nation and as a people is taught to avoid the idea that a middle ground on anything can even exist.

Everything from marketing to politics to healthcare to entertainment is very deliberately and specifically structured to create divides in us that can be exploited. Small wonder that this had bled into our general mindsets.

I don't think we can improve mental health before we improve this.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:21:04 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14486 on: November 06, 2017, 04:32:21 pm »

Okay but like seriously, how many mass shooters have had prior diagnosis of mental illness?  And honestly something like depression shouldn't count, since the reason depressed people shouldn't own guns is unrelated to mass shootings.  Even if past mass shooters had mental illnesses, they wouldn't have been caught in the first place by the existing mental health services.  And I absolutely refuse to accept that "improve mental health" is going to be accomplished if the motive is "because we're afraid of the mentally ill."

There's definetly a few, but the majority don't seem to have the level of mental illness some might associate with a 'crazed gunman'. There's often some sort of violence in the past, which could indicate some sort of instability. This most recent one didn't do it because voices in his head told him to.

The problem is that the Republicans keep using it to dodge the main issue while cutting funding for the very thing they're blaming.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:34:25 pm by smjjames »

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: November 06, 2017, 04:33:04 pm »

Kind of a tangent, but I fucking hate the term "fake news". It's so infuriatingly stupid. Whatever happened to the perfect serviceable word "propaganda" or "lies".
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14488 on: November 06, 2017, 04:36:18 pm »

Because it became a meme? *shrug*

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: November 06, 2017, 04:42:55 pm »

Because it became a meme? *shrug*

Probably this.

But, I think it has become a more specific term. Fake news seems to be used in reference to deliberate falsehoods or negligently un-researched events as told specifically by mass-media. To differentiate, when President Trump says silly fake things on TV, it's not fake news.

Also yes, I roll my eyes every time I hear it used. I think we also have a mass-media accountability problem, and this whole fake news thing just trivializes it.
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 3566