Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4240485 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #1425 on: February 09, 2017, 12:30:13 am »

I'm pretty sure it's actually Britain, Iceland, or Ethiopia that has that. The Civil War is definitely too recent for that record to go to us.

Civil War wasn't a issue with the transition of power, although it looks like someone's nuked the nice Wikipedia page on the topic.
It was a direct result of Lincoln's election. If the Clinton Foundation had waited until now to kick off their domestic insurrection, would you really say that has nothing to do with transition of power?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 09, 2017, 12:31:27 am »

I'm pretty sure it's actually Britain, Iceland, or Ethiopia that has that. The Civil War is definitely too recent for that record to go to us.

Civil War wasn't a issue with the transition of power, although it looks like someone's nuked the nice Wikipedia page on the topic.
It was a direct result of Lincoln's election. If the Clinton Foundation had waited until now to start their domestic insurrection, would you really say that has nothing to do with transition of power?

Depends on if they're fighting for control of the US government or simply against it.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 09, 2017, 12:38:58 am »

That seems rather arbitrary. If tomorrow Trump wheeled out his vintage Hitler clone to be appointed head of the newly minted US Department of Racial Purity, burned the Constitution on television, and shot the Congressional democrats, then a bunch of states broke off to form the Second Republic instead of trying to retake the Orange-Führer's Doomcastle (formerly known as the White House) that is not meaningfully different from both sides claiming to be the United States/Reich and the former making an attempt on the Doomcastle.

Especially since the CSA saw themselves as the legitimate continuation of "America", which had fallen into tyranny by interfering in the god-given rights of slavery and autonomy for the states.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:40:37 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1428 on: February 09, 2017, 12:42:05 am »

That seems rather arbitrary. If tomorrow Trump wheeled out his vintage Hitler clone to be appointed head of the newly minted US Department of Racial Purity, burned the Constitution on television, and shot the Congressional democrats, then a bunch of states broke off to form the Second Republic instead of trying to retake the Orange-Führer's Doomcastle (formerly known as the White House) that is not meaningfully different from both sides claiming to be the United States/Reich and the former making an attempt on the Doomcastle.

"Shrillary would have done worse. And you'll note he peed the fire out before it got to the second amendment. I'll admit the Democrats didn't deserve the price of the bullets, though, could have saved the money and just re-used one hangin' rope."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: February 09, 2017, 12:43:22 am »

Lol, what did the guy promise to do if he was elected?
Don't remember, really. Probably didn't even know at the time, tbh.

Small town campaigns are sometimes...  not the most noticeable, and it's not terribly unknown for someone to get in without much in the way of actual bodies voting for them, just 'cause there's not many people voting and a lot of them don't really care about certain positions unless it's one that's been causing problems for them recently. Add in the usual good-ol'-boy style politickin' (i.e. who knows you and why matters more vote wise than anything you actually do or say, campaign wise, and not in the sense that sort of thing is applied to larger elections) and weird things can slip by.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 09, 2017, 02:44:57 am »

A Canadian Moroccan woman, Fadwa Alaoui, was denied access to the US, after customs saw muslim prayers on her telephone. The woman, who lives in Canada for over 20 years has visited the US several times before, without trouble.
She tells reporters that she wanted to go to Vermont with her 5 year old son, to do some shopping. But at the border, she was picked out and interrogated. She had to tell to which mosque she went, and which imam preached there. Furthermore, she had to say what she thought of Donald Trump. Her finderprints were taken, and she was summoned to give the pincode to her telephone. Four hours later she was told she would not be allowed to cross the border.

"I don't understand", says Alaoui. "I've been to the US several times without problems. I just wanted to take my sick son (who has cancer) for a treat. Now I have to explain him instead what racism is. I have a Canadian passport, I do not even need a visum to enter the US".

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/canadese-moeder-komt-ineens-vs-niet-meer-in~a4460080/
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.3972400/canadian-woman-denied-entry-to-u-s-after-muslim-prayers-found-on-her-phone-1.3972404
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:52:48 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: February 09, 2017, 02:57:04 am »

Furthermore, she had to say what she thought of Donald Trump

This is the way a healthy vibrant democracy grills tourists.

This really harks back to what the Milgram experiments suggest. Even without direct orders you have agents going "Oh so we're being fascists now? Ok, cool by me!" and then ramping it up to 11 even without explicit instructions. When the government themselves actually reinforces that behaviour (or downplays it) that emboldens those types of people further.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:03:40 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 09, 2017, 03:02:20 am »

Normally I believe in prudence when dealing with state officials, but if some sneering bureaucrat fuck detained me and asked that I think I'd be unable to resist just loudly reciting the Constitution from memory. Of course, they'd have a much harder time getting away with doing that to Americans.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:04:36 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: February 09, 2017, 03:07:34 am »

Customs officer: "OK towel-head lady, what do you think of Donald Trump?"

Muslim Tourist: "Huh? Well about the same as most people do"

*Customs officer visibly pales while making a big red note in his notebook*

Customs officer: "That bad, huh?"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 09, 2017, 05:30:57 am »

It can make for fun times. Actually had an illiterate alcoholic elected as mayor of a town near me, a handful of years back. He didn't last the full term :P

E2: And that wasn't hyperbole or exaggeration. Literally someone that'd done a round or two through rehab (it didn't stick) and was not able to read.

Lol, what did the guy promise to do if he was elected?
#MakeAlcoholismGreatAgain?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 09, 2017, 06:27:18 am »

So many terrible things have happened recently (not sure since when, but some time in late January) that it's amazing how many terrible things there are to uncover. I had to check via thread search to see whether this specific terrible thing had in fact been missed by the thread, but yet it seems i uncovered another terrible thing that we've all missed:

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2017/02/03/report-that-trump-wants-female-staff-to-dress-like-women-sparks-movement-on-social-media/

Trump apparently demanded female WH staffers "Dress Like Women".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 09, 2017, 06:30:36 am »

The NYT critisizes Trump's plan to put the Muslim Brotherhood on the list of terrorist organistations.
His own advisors are debating with him over the matter, and intelligence agencies fear it will endanger the safety of the US.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/opinion/all-of-islam-isnt-the-enemy.html?ref=opinion
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 09, 2017, 06:46:47 am »

So... we have a system where you are an enemy of the state if you do not agree with the current ruling office.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 09, 2017, 07:03:38 am »

Clearly they're going to have a "Trump Fan Only" immigration policy.

The real problem with attacking Muslim Brotherhood, who are the biggest "mainstream" Sunni Islam islamic group is that they are a publicly announced group with politicians and the like. By taking them out, you just radicalize things more because you drive everyone underground - basically into the arms of ISIS. ISIS are a rival to the Muslim Brotherhood for the same eyes and ears. Taking them out is dumb.

EDIT: It's sort of hard to tell where a party stands when in Bahrain, the local Muslim Brotherhood people in parliament demands a government crackdown on Sorcery and Soothsayers.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:10:48 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 09, 2017, 07:21:30 am »

Anyhow maybe we are being unfair to Trump... maybe his female staffers are coming to work completely naked.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 3567