Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4196842 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Given the timeframe involved, it's a bit like asking if JFK could have stopped the Iranian hostage crisis.
The problem is that Andrew Jackson's presidency was almost 30 years before the civil war.  Its like the difference between asking if Bill Clinton could have prevented 9/11, and asking if Nixon could have prevented 9/11.

What, you've never heard of speculation about how different people would handle a crisis and alternate history?  And honestly, not all too invalid of one to have fun with given the guy shut down South Carolina's first attempt to secede in the Nullification Crisis, and while the odds of living that long may be low, he could have theoretically won as the amendment that prevented more than two term presidents didn't come into existence for near one hundred years after.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:11:36 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

Something is off with those quote markers zan.  What you quoted as maximum spin was me, but that bottom bit was not me.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page

Imagine going to trial and looking over at the jury and seeing Obama.
You blink in surprise, then do a double-take as you notice that the juror sitting next to him is Obama as well; in fact, you realize with a growing sense of unreality, all of the jurors are Barack Obama!
  "All rise," calls the bailiff (who is also Obama, you note uneasily), and you lever yourself to your feet. As the judge takes his place, your blood runs cold, for the man at the bench is none other than your father, Fred Trump, dead these past 18 years. He frowns as he meets your gaze, and in his eyes you see nothing but bitter disappointment.
  You bolt awake in a cold sweat, your heart racing.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Imagine going to trial and looking over at the jury and seeing Obama.
You blink in surprise, then do a double-take as you notice that the juror sitting next to him is Obama as well; in fact, you realize with a growing sense of unreality, all of the jurors are Barack Obama!
  "All rise," calls the bailiff (who is also Obama, you note uneasily), and you lever yourself to your feet. As the judge takes his place, your blood runs cold, for the man at the bench is none other than your father, Fred Trump, dead these past 18 years. He frowns as he meets your gaze, and in his eyes you see nothing but bitter disappointment.
  You bolt awake in a cold sweat, your heart racing.

And then you tweet.

Much of the Twitter nonsense makes sense in this context, actually.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Something is off with those quote markers zan.  What you quoted as maximum spin was me, but that bottom bit was not me.

...I could have swore I only quoted you and RedKing.  Not sure where Maximum Spin's bit came from.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

I remember my first jury duty. All I think I'm allowed to say is that it was a Grand Jury, and in theory dealt with murders for the county of Manhattan, but in practice spent most of its 4 weeks on a single case. That was one hell of a traumatizing experience. Although at least I got out of Jury duty for a long time afterward for my service.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How often are people called up for jury duty? I'm youngish and all the people I've known who were called up for it were called up after moving to a different state and so they got out of it.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

I had a thing recently for it, and I’ve been in the country for less than four years. County court though. Been in the county for less than two years. Seems to be an occasional thing. Basically get put on a register for a year and they randomly choose names from it, then those people need to call a number every day to make sure they haven’t been chosen.

The only other time was in the UK while I was in college, so got an exemption.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I've been called twice in about 18 years. I'd say 4 or 5 years apart. I live in a town of around 280,000. My roommate just got called like 2 weeks ago.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:16:30 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had Jury Duty (UK) a couple of decades ago, maybe. My mother did JD in the early '80s. Other than that, I'm not aware of anyone else I know personally having done it.

But then I don't tell everyone I meet socially that I did this thing (and, I only know about my mother because it i pinged upon my own schedule at the time). Well, hardly anybody. I mention it online when brought up in passing (like now) but I don't go any further about it. Because I don't feel the need to start giving out further details. Or maybe because there aren't that many details to give?

Close friends and colleagues who have heard the little that I have told have, in turn, never offered up their own reciprocally censored experiences. So they're either even more tight-lipped than I am or else actually haven't had to do anything of the kind.

Looking for actual figures for likelihoods gives me write-ups about the subject like: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/aug/20/jury-service-repeated-summons

And linked to, inside that: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36140259

Interesting. (To me!)  Obviously just the UK (and, in the latter case, Scotland) rather than relevant to y'all across the Pond, with your various differences in how they get used, etc.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How often are people called up for jury duty? I'm youngish and all the people I've known who were called up for it were called up after moving to a different state and so they got out of it.

It depends on how many people they need. Being called up for jury duty normally means you can't be called up again for a few years, with the exact number varying by locality, but I've never known anyone to be called at the maximum possible rate, let alone have the pool they were called for actually be needed for a trial.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, both the defense and prosecution can cut people from the juror pool.  Some people I know claim to have strategies to get cut on purpose so they don't have to serve ("ask a lawyer what jury nullification is"), but that might just be talk.

Going back in the conversation a bit, Obama really should get cut for knowing too much about law and being too opinionated.  On the other hand, maybe the lawyers want to spend some time with Obama.  That's a story you can tell for a long time.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

It's ultimately a matter of strategy. You cut a normal lawyer because they tell you they're a lawyer, but you don't know if they're more Atticus Finch or Saul Goodman. There are as many scenarios where you want Goodman as you want Finch. However, while they understand you more they also will be able to criticize your arguments more...and do so to the other jurors in deliberation.

With Obama, his fame and reputation means there might be enough potential that both prosecution and defense will want to appeal to him and trust that he'll appeal to the jury by proxy. It'd have to be a case that didn't have any controversy for partisan issues (because then there's a high likelihood of an anti-Obama person appearing on the jury and crashing proceedings by being contrarian) and that was very ambiguous in terms of guilt (because then Obama is more likely to go one way or the other, and the disadvantaged side will strike him).

It's also possible that they could use up all their prejudiced strikes and then have Obama appear before them, which if they can't sway the judge for one reason or another could lead to a catastrophic appearance of Obama on the jury regardless of the case's nature.

Regardless, the biggest advantage and the one I'd go for is having an single charismatic juror who's views on goddamn everything are public record. You just try to win Obama and then hope Obama's nature as a politician takes over during deliberations for the rest.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The way I look at it, either Obama's views favor one side in which case the other side cuts him.  Or the case is politically neutral and whichever side is more likely to win should cut him, since he introduces an unknown element into the situation.  Not just in terms of how he acts, but in terms of how others react to him, as MSH pointed out.  Obama would make everything more complicated.

On the other hand, you get to say you were at the trial where Obama was juror.
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 3566