Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4196346 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

That hasn't happened yet Rolan, Trump only gets stricken from history when they pass the amendment to the National Recovery and Atonement Act of 2021.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Is anybody willing to contest the statement that Bush Sr. is the most forgettable President of the 20th and 21st centuries?
Meh...he managed the soft landing (depending on your POV) of the breakup of the Soviet Union. That was no small feat.

I'd have to argue Harding was more forgettable. Dude was only in there 2 years. Sure, he had scandals, but they weren't even known till after his death.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

I thought Bush the first was responsible for the gulf war/desert storm

Really the most forgettable prez was that one the held office for like a month and then died.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

No, Harrison is memorable because he died only a month in. The real most forgettable President is Franklin Pierce.

Don't bullshit me. You have no idea who that is.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

His wikipedia article makes a pretty good argument for why he's interesting I'd say.

Also an incumbent president who lost his party's primary.  And then his party won the general election.  That's impressively sad.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Interesting is not the same as memorable. They're all interesting. Andrew Jackson is interesting. And memorable. And killed people. Frequently.

Really the most Trump-like President other than Trump.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's fair.  It looks like Franklin Pierce was a man who tried to make things happen and then watched in frustration as the opposite happened.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Interesting is not the same as memorable. They're all interesting. Andrew Jackson is interesting. And memorable. And killed people. Frequently.

Really the most Trump-like President other than Trump.
And remember, Trump knows Jackson.
In an interview on SiriusXM Monday afternoon, President Donald Trump wondered aloud about why the Civil War wasn't "worked out" and whether Andrew Jackson, who died 16 years before the war started, could've prevented the bloodiest war in U.S. history.

He was too busy trying to help Frederick Douglass, probably.

The real most forgettable President is Franklin Pierce.

Don't bullshit me. You have no idea who that is.

Franklin Pierce, a President you think so little about that you didn't realize that's not Franklin Piece, it's Zachary Taylor.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:29:27 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Er, wait, why would having existed before the war make him less capable of preventing it? It would certainly be a gaffe if he had been born afterward, but generally preventing things happens before they start, often long before.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Given the timeframe involved, it's a bit like asking if JFK could have stopped the Iranian hostage crisis.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's kind of like asking why the French Revolution or the Israeli-Palestine conflict weren't "just worked out".  Its not like no one tried, its just that people tend to have strong feelings about their own lives and sometimes issues become too serious to ignore.

Oh what am I kidding, I'm not even commenting on Trump at this point, I'm just wasting my breath.  He probably couldn't tell you which side Washington DC was on in the Civil War, or which century it took place in.

Er, wait, why would having existed before the war make him less capable of preventing it? It would certainly be a gaffe if he had been born afterward, but generally preventing things happens before they start, often long before.
The problem is that Andrew Jackson's presidency was almost 30 years before the civil war.  Its like the difference between asking if Bill Clinton could have prevented 9/11, and asking if Nixon could have prevented 9/11.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Given the timeframe involved, it's a bit like asking if JFK could have stopped the Iranian hostage crisis.

Yeah, but the difference is that the tensions between North and South were building up for a long, long time and many different presidents (including Franklin Pierce, apparently) and administrations contributed to that.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem is that Andrew Jackson's presidency was almost 30 years before the civil war.  Its like the difference between asking if Bill Clinton could have prevented 9/11, and asking if Nixon could have prevented 9/11.
Seems like a perfectly legitimate question. There are definitely ways Nixon could have prevented 9/11, such as by starting a global thermonuclear war.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

That's kind of like asking why the French Revolution or the Israeli-Palestine conflict weren't "just worked out".  Its not like no one tried, its just that people tend to have strong feelings about their own lives and sometimes issues become too serious to ignore.

Oh what am I kidding, I'm not even commenting on Trump at this point, I'm just wasting my breath.  He probably couldn't tell you which side Washington DC was on in the Civil War, or which century it took place in.

Better point than mine. Jackson didn't just die 16 years before the war, he stopped being President 28 years before the war.

Seems like a perfectly legitimate question. There are definitely ways Nixon could have prevented 9/11, such as by starting a global thermonuclear war.
::)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, but seriously, could Nixon have prevented 9/11? I mean, the middle east has been problematic since pretty much the fall of the Ottoman empire. Although he couldn't've foreseen 9/11 specifically - although people could and did foresee the Civil War by then - it was more than clear that there was conflict in the air, and there are certainly conceivable ways he could have changed the situation that might have had significant effects closer to today. It's somewhat complex to consider, but a valid question.
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 3566