Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4188543 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been staying out of the Punch a Nazi element to this thread, I frankly wish it were extracted into a thread of its own.
But in reply to Arx's ask:
I personally think Nazis/Nazilikes/other-anti-socialites need to be rebuked. As in "bad dog, that's not an acceptable behaviour". But in a way (as also should be done with dogs) that more denies them their pleasure for the bad, and encourages any tendency towards the good (see Click Training, which often decries punishment in most forms).  Yet leaving the misbehaving Nazilike to do their own thing untroubled seems like it would only discourage the thrill-seeker antipathic type, not the miseducated and/or radicalised ones happy in their echo chamber of prejudice.

The ones seeking conflict (see also English football hooligan 'supporter' gangs, in it for the fighting) should be starved of aggression, though, and so how on Earth do we tailor our mutually-exclusive responses? Idunno.

But one thing I do know, is that I'd rather that someone like me (not me... the Nazi I could successfully punch should only ever be pitied, and left alone) punched the Nazilike. If they're being attacked by a minority they are apparently afraid of, that sounds like reinforcement. I'd much rather an 'equal' demonstrate that it's an opinion not universal among his peers, than the retaliatory attack obviously feared by the sissy-Nazi who obviously thinks all the world's ills are due to the presence of this Jesse Owens-like competitor for his perfectly white supremacy...
And that's all I'm saying on the subject. Please make it go elsewhere.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Agreed here with starver, the 'to punch a nazi or not to punch a nazi' is a circular argument with no logical ending or middle ground.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I thought the logical end was punch=bad or punch=good

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

no middle ground.

Smack a nazi with a sock'em bopper.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Uh, yeah, I mean of course it's a "uniform" which is also chosen to be normal, and it's not like everyone wearing polo and tan pants is a neo-nazi, but in the context of a far-right march it does work. There is a reason the guy felt the need to take it off.

that looks like macklemore
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Now I have the hilarious idea of going to alt-right marches with spray bottles of water and clickers.

"GAS THE KIKES RACE WA-"

*spritz spritz spritz* "NO! Bad Nazi!"

Maybe wap 'em across the nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

That is more acceptable than punching.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Use water from Flint River, that way you can pump em full of lead with your Super Soakers, without harming them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The clickers, at least, sounds like a workable plan.

Perhaps I will make a sign that says "Bad Nazi! No biscuit!"

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile

I much prefer Jon Stewart, but Trevor Noah had a very good take on Antifa and nazi punching. https://youtu.be/kmpqnxpYUqA
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Punch or no, Trevor Noah lost my respect like an anime fan on prom night.  At around 3:00, 2:45 for context.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

You know, if I never heard about Nazis or Nazi-punching again in this thread it would be too soon.
New York is too big, too crowded and too full of crime to ever want to visit.
Only the middle thing is true, but that's a good enough answer for me. Good, stay home! we have enough tourists! 60 million tourists visited last year! Most ever! And the previous record as broken the year before! (And the previous record, the year before that!) In fact we've had record-breaking tourism since 2010, an increase of 2 million a year! Please stop!

I'm joking, obviously, but god-damn, what do all of you actually do here? I should get into the tourism business somehow.

Plus we don't have a crimerate problem, we haven't had a crime-rate problem since my childhood. where do people hear these things? we have a housing problem, we have rent problems, we have "everything costs so much god-damned money jesus christ" problem, but crime is absolutely no worse than any other big city in the US, and quite possibly safer: less violent crime than LA, than Dallas, than Boston, than Miami, Denver, Tampa, Seattle, Tulsa, etc. That's not a stereotype, it's straight up wrong.

Come visit sometime, replace your old stereotypes with completely new ones. Better ones! Gold-plated ones.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:33:27 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually from that video I decided to look something up, and there's a recent whitehouse petition to classify Antifa as a terrorist organization that passed the required numbers back around August 20th.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/formally-recognize-antifa-terrorist-organization-0
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white-house-petition-asks-trump-to-formally-recognize-antifa-as-terrorist-organization/article/2632024

Trump's administration is technically obliged to make a formal response to this within 60 days. But I'm not sure whether that is 60 days from the day the petitioned passed 100,000 (which would be around October 19th) or 60 days from the cut-off date of the petition (which would be November 16th). Can anyone clarify that? If the first one, we're going to be hearing something about that soon.

Either way, some people point out that the Whitehouse doesn't have the authority to make such a designation, but that's not really the point here. An official statement discussion Antifa as a terrorist organization is going to be highly damaging. The right has a lot to gain by making everything about Antifa in the lead-up to the 2018 elections. Plus it would legitimize more heavy-handed police tactics against protestors.

If this ends up tanking the 2018 elections then it would highlight the strategic error in creating a named organization with a uniform then going around attacking people.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:00:38 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You say it's a strategic error as if the Democrats are the ones behind antifa, they aren't. Antifa (which is a panopoly of groups really) doesn't care about the Democratic party all that much.

Also, just when you thought Trump wouldn't get more ridiculous, he challenged Tillerson to an IQ test over the 'moron' remark and then the State Department is forced to defend Tillerson over it. Might as well straight up say "Lets measure penises!" because that's literally what he is doing, a dick waving/measuring contest.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You say it's a strategic error as if the Democrats are the ones behind antifa, they aren't. Antifa (which is a panopoly of groups really) doesn't care about the Democratic party all that much.

Also, just when you thought Trump wouldn't get more ridiculous, he challenged Tillerson to an IQ test over the 'moron' remark and then the State Department is forced to defend Tillerson over it. Might as well straight up say "Lets measure penises!" because that's literally what he is doing, a dick waving/measuring contest.

We're not far out from "I would have easily won the IQ test if three million of Rex's synapses hadn't fired illegally. Build a wall!"
Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 3566