Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4211417 times)

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Debt ceiling and Gov. Funding possibly punted to mid-December?
« Reply #12210 on: September 06, 2017, 03:36:47 pm »

I'm not sure Null's made it clear why they're so opposed to amnesty.  Maybe I've missed it?  Or was it just the criminal thing?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12211 on: September 06, 2017, 03:38:06 pm »

Okay, nice points, I agree with most of this, except the one I have made glaringly apparent.  This point is the one that makes this unworkable.  There are not enough personnel, courts, lawyers, nor is there money to pay for them all.  This is why I say we would have to stop all attempts at legal immigration, if we don't take the time and devote the resources to this point then we will just be perpetuating the current state of affairs.

There is no question that freezing immigration would cause no end of problems, but I can see no other way to actually fix this without doing so.

Like I said, no good solutions.
Amnesty is a long and painful solution but an immigration pause is, as I put it, physically impossible. It'll only boondoggle illegal immigrants, might crash the economy, and could quite possibly require a military takeover of the southern border.

Your reluctance to amnesty in the face of that is kind of confusing. Decades is better than never.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12212 on: September 06, 2017, 03:42:43 pm »

Amnesty didn't work in 1986, it hasn't worked since, and it won't work now.  All it does is cause the same problem to repeat itself, hence why we are at this point again.  I don't have a better solution, and as far as I can tell no one else does either.  I'd just vastly prefer fixing the underlying issue to the feel-good Band-Aid of amnesty.  I'm not going to get what I want, and it's unlikely the Band-Aid people are either.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12213 on: September 06, 2017, 03:44:16 pm »

Amnesty would have worked fine if USCIS had been funded and legal immigration in general had engagement from hopefuls instead of determined dismissal. It's not a feel-good, it's a necessity. Having to repeat it because we only treated the symptom last time is unfortunate, but that's where we find ourselves all the same.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12214 on: September 06, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »

I'm not sure Null's made it clear why they're so opposed to amnesty.  Maybe I've missed it?  Or was it just the criminal thing?

He's trying to make the point that at this point in time, with so many illegal immigrants (we don't have precise numbers, but some estimates are 11 million), the logistics and funding are insurmountable.

Amnesty would have worked fine if USCIS had been funded and legal immigration in general had engagement from hopefuls instead of determined dismissal. It's not a feel-good, it's a necessity. Having to repeat it because we only treated the symptom last time is unfortunate, but that's where we find ourselves all the same.

I suspect that we can all agree that funding USCIS properly, perhaps more than it needs, and modernizing would go a long way towards helping fix the problems.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12215 on: September 06, 2017, 03:50:12 pm »

Even if we did a perfect overhaul of legal immigration that solved all if its problems, we would still have the illegal immigrants who are here now. Sometimes treating the underlying cause isn't enough to make the symptoms go away. You need to deal with both. Thankfully, I don't think the two are mutually exclusive here.
Unthankfully, we probably won't get a solution to any problems at all out of the current government. I wouldn't actually mind being proven wrong about this, congress.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12216 on: September 06, 2017, 03:50:49 pm »

The only way to "fix the immigration problem" permanently is to either conquer the planet or kill off everybody that isn't already in your country. The harshest border controls will not keep people out. The most draconian ID sweeps will not allow you to find everybody. The Soviet Union had illegal immigrants. China has illegal immigrants. North Korea has illegal immigrants.

Amnesty WORKED in 86 - it took decades for the problem to reach a point where it becomes an issue. Only the completely uninformed, or politicians exploiting the race card, will tell you anything different.

The only way to significantly reduce illegal immigration is to make legal immigration as easy and painless as possible. Which we could easily do if we took the mountain of manpower and treasure that we currently waste on border control (we'll always need some, to cut down on smuggling and banditry, but after a certain point there's no benefit) and spent it on the immigration system instead. But that doesn't allow congresscritters and officeseekers to exploit tribalism to drum up their numbers, so it is unlikely to happen.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12217 on: September 06, 2017, 03:51:37 pm »

Alternatively, we could end illegal Mexican immigration forever by annexing Mexico. That's only slightly less feasible than mass deportation, and probably more humane.
We did that once.  Then we told the mexicans living in the previously mexican owned land that they were illegal immigrants and to GTFO our country.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12218 on: September 06, 2017, 03:54:02 pm »

Perhaps instead of looking at illegal immigration, we should look into reforming the legal immigration system. There are stories all over the place about how the legal immigration system takes so long.
People say this, but there's no real appetite for it anymore. we tried that a few years ago if you recall, and the House of Representatives just let it die. Congress could try again, but I don't think there is enough agreement: Republicans are split several ways, Democrats are sorta United but certainly aren't interested in compromising with Trump, Trump is out there playing the chaos game and throwing wildcards out, etc. Example A: Trump has said he wants a DACA fix that 'makes everyone happy'.

See? Actively wishing for the impossible.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12219 on: September 06, 2017, 03:54:55 pm »

Can't say I wouldn't be interested in seeing what the US trying to take over the whole world looks like. Not like, to live in that world, but just to see how it end up. :P

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12220 on: September 06, 2017, 03:58:37 pm »

Yes, even if the system were made functional we would still have to deal with the present illegal population, I am not arguing against that.  I am arguing that without those fixes the problem will just keep happening, and will continue to be a drain on manpower and resources.

I'd really like to see a solution that actually fixes the problem and finds a way to alleviate the current condition, I just don't agree with blanket amnesty, it's like saying, "Sure, come on and completely ignore the laws of the nation you're trying to gain entry to, we'll just give you a get out of jail free card in a few years", which, to me, is like saying that those laws are irrelevant.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12221 on: September 06, 2017, 04:00:37 pm »

Just out of curiosity, NullForceOmega, do you have a specific figure for the monetary cost of processing the current population of illegal immigrants? Or for the man-hours required? I'm curious how they compare to the costs of actually purging the country per the standard far-right line.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12222 on: September 06, 2017, 04:03:06 pm »

Shit, let's have immigrants be the border patrol as part of their citizenship test /s

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12223 on: September 06, 2017, 04:03:53 pm »

Perhaps instead of looking at illegal immigration, we should look into reforming the legal immigration system. There are stories all over the place about how the legal immigration system takes so long.
People say this, but there's no real appetite for it anymore. we tried that a few years ago if you recall, and the House of Representatives just let it die. Congress could try again, but I don't think there is enough agreement: Republicans are split several ways, Democrats are sorta United but certainly aren't interested in compromising with Trump, Trump is out there playing the chaos game and throwing wildcards out, etc. Example A: Trump has said he wants a DACA fix that 'makes everyone happy'.

See? Actively wishing for the impossible.

Yeah, I saw that remark Trump made. :P Might as well just say straight out "Figure something out, give it to me, and I'll sign it." He just wants something he can crow and brag about.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12224 on: September 06, 2017, 04:04:08 pm »

So basically, there only seems to be one actually-kinda-doable solution that anyone in this thread can think of, but NullForce doesn't like it.
And no, kicking them all out isn't an option. That just seems altogether likely to fail horribly.
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 3566