Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4159924 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Back to work Congress! debt ceiling incoming, financial stuff, etc.
« Reply #12120 on: September 05, 2017, 06:58:49 pm »

The DNC kingmakers picked her, again, for god knows what reason.
I still believe that literally any other Democratic option could have beat Trump.
A chair full of mayo named Phil O. Sophy would have won.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Back to work Congress! debt ceiling incoming, financial stuff, etc.
« Reply #12121 on: September 05, 2017, 07:19:50 pm »

Democrat voters have been going "oh hell no" since before she ran against Obama, all the way back to her moving from First Lady to the Senate.

But they voted for her as a candidate did they not?

Perhaps aided by the heavy support from the DNC higher-ups, but still...

A good chunk of it was anti-Trump vote rather than pro-Hillary or just party-line vote.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12122 on: September 05, 2017, 08:53:36 pm »

If I remember correctly there was a historically low turnout this election, wasn't it? So it would seem a lot of democrats did in fact not vote for her.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12123 on: September 05, 2017, 09:04:07 pm »

Turnout was pretty low, yeah. Also means that a whole lot of Republicans didn't vote for Trump either.

Both candidates were terrible, just in different ways.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12124 on: September 05, 2017, 09:07:54 pm »

According to CNN the voter turnout was about the same as 2000 and greater than 1996. Voter turnout spiked up in 2004 peaked in 2008 then fell in 2012. But the 2016 turnout is actually better than the 1990s. So not really "historic" lows. Only low compared to the last few elections which had historically high turnout.

EDIT: although those figures were reported back in November. Since then, revised figures have shown turnout was quite a bit higher than first reported:

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/324206-new-report-finds-that-voter-turnout-in-2016-topped-2012

About 139 million Americans, or 60.2 percent of the voting-eligible population, cast a ballot in November’s elections, according to data compiled by the U.S. Elections Project. That compares with 58.6 percent of eligible voters who turned out in 2012, but it’s below the 62.2 percent who turned out to help elect Obama for the first time in 2008.

So yeah, if you blame low turnout for the result, you're working with old data, the latest data suggests there was no actual dip. The turnout rates were squarely half-way between the result in 2008 and 2012.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 09:13:26 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12125 on: September 05, 2017, 09:37:51 pm »

Democrats didn't turn out in quite the numbers that the Democrats expected or otherwise thought would happen, which is the main story with the turnout.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12126 on: September 05, 2017, 11:03:23 pm »

*mutters bitterly about how he stated earlier, emphatically, that a Clinton/Trump ticket would be the worst possible ticket, and nobody listened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12127 on: September 05, 2017, 11:08:48 pm »

Well duh, of course it's the worst possible ticket, so bad that neither one would want to play second fiddle. Okay, maybe Clinton would play her cards and work in the background, silently plotting the exact moment to backstab Trump and appear on top at exactly the right moment, because she's that kind of politician.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12128 on: September 05, 2017, 11:12:51 pm »

iirc democrat numbers were about similar to obama in 2012?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12129 on: September 05, 2017, 11:13:05 pm »

Hillary blames Sanders for her election loss.
Really, Hillary? Trump had to compete with like 50 other Republican candidates, and you're bitching about the one Democrat who ran against you? People don't hate you because of Sanders. This shit right here is why people hate you.

I like how the news person in the video clip points out how it would have been stupid for Bernie not to capitalize on her weaknesses, and uses her e-mails as an example... when I recall Bernie saying in on of their debates "I don't care about your e-mails.  We're all sick of hearing about it.  Republicans and the media need to get over it and move on.  I'm not going to talk about them."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12130 on: September 05, 2017, 11:23:38 pm »

The rival not being a dick about all weaknesses doesn't fit the standard narrative ... benefit of the doubt, they're just remembering wrong: ironing out what actually happened to fit how we collectively think things work.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12131 on: September 05, 2017, 11:26:17 pm »

Let us not forget "the nominee can't be Sanders because he will confuse and infuriate black people, who will vote only for Clinton because of HER RECORD".

Spoiler: That isn't what happened on election night and black people aren't demographic automatons.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12132 on: September 05, 2017, 11:28:51 pm »

[Hey, you know your emails?  That big issue, which a whole lot of people care about?  Well, I'm going to be a bigger man about that.  And also point out that people are tired of that issue- as people get tired of every issue, after the first week.]
He was the epitome of passive-aggressiveness on that.  Bringing up the issue, then claiming not to care...  And even scoring "we're tired of that issue" points.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12133 on: September 05, 2017, 11:47:08 pm »

If this is the same video I'm thinking of, it was during a debate and he was asked a question about the emails.  His response was pretty short, IIRC even Salmongod's short summary is longer than his actual response.  He really didn't give a shit about the emails.

Her and Bernie did have about the same platform.  For each issue they fell in about the same place on the political spectrum with Bernie being further left.  The big difference being attitude.  Most US politicians, Hillary included, speak like they're at a job interview.  Bernie gave each speech like he was in college and this was the one research project he really cared about.  To me and I presume others it felt like he was in touch with the core issues that were important to me, even tho Hillary was on the same side of those issues.  The irony of it all is that the differences between the two were things that would only matter to democrats.  Hillary wanted the government to provide a social safety net, Bernie wanted the same thing but was willing to change chunks of the government to reduce income inequality.  To the Democrats that's a major attitude difference; from a conservative perspective, those are functionally the same thing.  Yet independents and conservatives overwhelmingly preferred Bernie.  I guess he tapped into that same Trump "better to burn it all" mindset?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12134 on: September 05, 2017, 11:58:26 pm »

It was more his "not a politician" vibe. Your job interview analogy is an apt one - people who go through interview training, prepare canned answers to the expected questions, dress exactly as expected, and so on often have much less response (positive OR negative) from employers than people who wing it. This is because everybody does it that way, so such applicants merge into a faceless, sexless blur. Doing something different might not get you the job - but it makes you stand out.

In the 2016 election, people were so sick and tired of Washington's crap that "not a politician" trumped a hell of a lot of other factors.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 3563