Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4162759 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11715 on: August 25, 2017, 10:27:43 pm »

Yeh, mentioned a few pages back.

Guess it's worth cross mentioning here that trump's apparently signed a disaster proclamation for texas, probably... 50-ish minutes ago, from the time of this post? So it's something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11716 on: August 25, 2017, 10:36:40 pm »

Not sure why he waited so long for the disaster proclaimation to get signed. Some commentators were saying that the disaster proclaimation usually gets signed before the hurricane hits, and it was obvious that Texas was going to get hit no matter what.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: August 25, 2017, 10:44:30 pm »

Not sure why he waited so long for the disaster proclaimation to get signed. Some commentators were saying that the disaster proclaimation usually gets signed before the hurricane hits, and it was obvious that Texas was going to get hit no matter what.

Because the administration is falling apart operationally. Even if Trump had wanted to sign it at the most opportune time, he's such resume poison that nobody competent or experienced wants to work for his administration anymore; it's just not worth it. Everything substantive is going to take far longer than it should, and the dysfunction is only going to mount from here on in.

I suspect the Arpaio pardon was actually delayed, since now there's an obvious "while Texas was in crisis Trump was pardoning racists" story. It will be important, as the crises mount, to ask which of his delays are strategic and which are just that nobody in the White House knows where the light switches are.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: August 25, 2017, 10:50:13 pm »

Pretty much. Hopefully there's someone along the way so far as admin goes that's hella' on the ball, because we're probably going to need something approaching a saint of emergency management to make up for the party of making sure the government doesn't work well being in power.

And, like. Imperium saint, with the tank battalions and the laser eyes and such. Catholic might not cut it.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: August 25, 2017, 10:51:55 pm »

Hurricane Harvey did pretty much pull a ninja by reforming after it went over the Yucatan, so, people didn't have quite as much time as they usually do to prepare. So, some of the slack is cut just from that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11720 on: August 25, 2017, 10:56:18 pm »

Oh heh, this pundit/commentator said that one theory is that Trump wants to be in the center of the story and not have Harvey overshadow him. ~\/O\/~

Obviously, Harvey is going to be stretched out over multiple cycles, whether Trump cares or not.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:58:38 pm by smjjames »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: August 25, 2017, 10:58:29 pm »

Oh heh, this pundit/commentator said that one theory is that Trump wants to be in the center of the story and not have Harvey overshadow him. ~\/O\/~

Oh, that's easy. He just has to stand on the beach and order the hurricane to recede. Maybe he can negotiate it down a category or two.

(Do note that this is snark as an alternative to incandescent fury, not any attempt to make light of what is about to be a disaster of terrible proportions.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:01:07 pm by Trekkin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: August 25, 2017, 10:59:12 pm »

Yeah, isp. Cut medical treatment, stop acceptance, iirc. Helluva' thing to do to one of our demographics around twice as likely to enlist as the general population, regardless of how large the raw numbers are.

And hey, it'd make sense smj. Fits much of his actions. Like, I write that calmly, but imagine it being typed by something less a human and more a roiling ball of lava and rage clamped down by a vice of really not wanting to get that pissed off this late at night.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: August 25, 2017, 11:00:33 pm »

Oh, that's easy. He just has to stand on the beach and order the hurricane to recede. Maybe he can negotiate it down a category or two.

lol........

Maybe he should join that Jeff stormchaser guy.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11724 on: August 25, 2017, 11:03:35 pm »

Was in the car with friend, his mom texted him saying that she was watching cable news and North Korea tried to nuke guam but narrowly missed.  This is not true just a deceptively worded headline.  But I briefly considered taking the next uber out to the countryside.  Its, what, 2 hours for a hostile ICBM to reach its target?  And the area I'm in would most definitely be hit with 50 overlapping strikes if all out nuclear war happened.

A little touch of the Cold War paranoia I guess.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: August 25, 2017, 11:05:32 pm »

Was in the car with friend, his mom texted him saying that she was watching cable news and North Korea tried to nuke guam but narrowly missed.  This is not true just a deceptively worded headline.  But I briefly considered taking the next uber out to the countryside.  Its, what, 2 hours for a hostile ICBM to reach its target?

Depends on distance. ~45 minutes from North Korea to New York City, and it declines roughly linearly as you go southwest. It would also be in a trajectory class we can't actually intercept.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:19:43 pm by Trekkin »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11726 on: August 25, 2017, 11:59:57 pm »

Was in the car with friend, his mom texted him saying that she was watching cable news and North Korea tried to nuke guam but narrowly missed.  This is not true just a deceptively worded headline.  But I briefly considered taking the next uber out to the countryside.  Its, what, 2 hours for a hostile ICBM to reach its target?  And the area I'm in would most definitely be hit with 50 overlapping strikes if all out nuclear war happened.

A little touch of the Cold War paranoia I guess.

"Please send an Uber with driver of reasonable childbearing age, able and willing to repopulate the planet with me after a total apocalypse, a trunk full of water and MREs and if possible, in a 1973 Ford Falcon GT Coupé. Thanks and good luck."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11727 on: August 26, 2017, 12:14:13 am »

lol........

Maybe he should join that Jeff stormchaser guy.
"These winds are now up to 1000 miles per hour! Sure, the fake news will tell you 120, 130...but they also said I'd never get 270 electoral votes."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11728 on: August 26, 2017, 12:51:15 am »

"These winds are now up to 1000 miles per hour! Sure, the fake news will tell you 120, 130...but they also said I'd never get 270 electoral votes."

I swear one of these days exactly that is going to happen.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11729 on: August 26, 2017, 02:40:12 am »

Everyone's favorite sheriff pardoned by Herr Trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-pardons-former-arizona-sheriff-joe-arpaio/2017/08/25/afbff4b6-86b1-11e7-961d-2f373b3977ee_story.html

What's next, he's going to pardon Dylan Roof, and give him a medal for making America white again?
When the fuck can this guy be impeached already, pretty please?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:42:32 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 3563