Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4180707 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10935 on: August 16, 2017, 04:22:14 pm »

We are not truly discussing ideological conversion, or at least I haven't been. This is about the need to inhibit the organized violence of Nazis at rallies. Such meetings and marches are the same manner in which fascist groups classically conducted themselves: The Beer Hall Putsch, KKK marches, Golden Dawn food distribution, and such. You'll notice how none of those are instances of fascists having control over the state, even the Beer Hall Putsch was before Hitler's ascendancy.

Nonetheless, they are the direct action of neo-nazis, the place where they can recruit and commit violence even without revolution. Refusing to respond to these things is irresponsible.

I don't like everything about antifa, but having opposition present is a vital service to democratic society. By all means, fill society with messages of universal brotherhood, but at a rally you've already passed that point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10936 on: August 16, 2017, 04:31:45 pm »

Lol, look at this quote: "The pastor also said President Andrew Jackson’s name should be removed from nearby Jackson Park, because he also was a slave owner. He said he’s not necessarily asking the city rename the parks altogether. He suggested Washington Park could be named after former Mayor Harold Washington, and Jackson Park could be named after civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson or singer Michael Jackson."

He literally gives himself (and the city council) a loophole to keep the names.
I thought that was really clever though

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: August 16, 2017, 04:36:21 pm »

Edit: And now Trump is disbanding his business councils....
But "For every CEO that drops out of the Manufacturing Council, I have many to take their place."...  Trump is obviously turning anti-CEO, in refusing to let them take part!  So sad!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: August 16, 2017, 04:58:13 pm »

Okay, let me put this to you.  20 BLM activists with AR 15s take over and fortify a rural post office or such.  Think they'd get the same response the Oregon Ranch assholes got?

I am not sure you want to use them as an example? Because we can look up RIGHT NOW how they are treated by police when they turn violent.

Or heck how the Kidnappers associated with BLM were treated by the police (QUITE generously might I add)
Ooh, ooh, send me a link to BLM getting violent.  I *love* to hear peaceful protests called riots.  Here, I'll provide some evidence as to why BLM is admirable and why I'm choosing to use them as an example.  Here's BLM getting a peace prize from a foreign foundation. Here's a CNN article describing peaceful protests in which hundreds of arrests were made, containing this quote:

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards, who called the press conference, said most protests had been peaceful -- with most arrests for minor offenses -- and blamed outside agitators for incitements to violence.

The article also contained quotes from the BLM organizers issuing calls for everyone at their protests to remain peaceful, as usual.  Here's them disrupting traffic as a form of protest.  Oh, and here's what they are protesting.  All 3 links to different perspectives on the same event; the first two are graphic videos, the third the daily show yet again being better journalists CNN (check out how the subtitles are different and which one matches the audio).

And here's the police stating that the kidnappers weren't associated with BLM in any way.

There's a double standard between what is considered violent behavior on the left and the right, and how much government response is necessary.  Calling BLM out is a lot like the people who have been calling out antifa, except BLM doesn't even have violent words.  Just like antifa, so many people take it as a given BLM is violent, yet more BLM protestors have been murdered by far-right terrorists than BLM has killed (which isn't hard because BLM "rioters" have never killed anyone).  Yes, 5 cops were also killed by sniper IIRC over the police killings, but BLM didn't incite him to do that, didn't want him to do that, and didn't stand by him when he did.  He was not part of BLM.  To be clear, I'm not saying that far right terrorists killing BLM members makes BLM right or conservatives wrong.  What I'm saying is that everyone in this thread seems to want the level of violence/misbehavior between the left and right to be equivalent, but the reality just can't be twisted to support that.  And its getting tiresome that people continue to believe that progressive violence is constantly occurring "somewhere else" with no real evidence, but hate group violence needs to be verified with a forensic file and police report filed in triplicate or it didn't happen.  To say nothing of the fact that a hate group that espouses violence can have one of its members commit violence, and that's not only not evidence to label them a violent group, its somehow equivalent to peaceful protests by peaceful groups.

In my original post that's been edited out of the quote chain, I quoted Frumple talking about what a reasonable response to Nazis is.  What he said seemed pretty reasonable to me.  Stop nazis using escalating steps starting with peaceful words, only use violence if called for and if the government is unwilling to.  But when people called him out about violence, his defense (as reworded by me in my post) was essentially that nazis are inherently threatening and dangerous because they espouse genocide.  And this is what I mean by double standards.  How could it seriously need to be said what would happen if a neo-nazis waving third Reich German flags get power or resources?  Like how is this a point of discussion.  Even the neo-nazis wouldn't defend themselves by saying they don't intend to commit genocide.  They'd just say that killing/kicking out all the blacks or whatever is the right thing to do, not that their intentions are friendly.  Yet apparently we need to write academic essays with MLA citations to prove "nazis are dangerous."  And yes, we totally shouldn't start walking into neo-nazi rallies and shooting everyone.  But then, we don't have a neo-nazi president, we have a neo-nazi lite president.  He espouses 0 calorie war crimes and diet racial purges.  Dictatorship with no artificial sweeteners.  So we get le resistence lite in response; they don't fight usually nazis but they talk a lot about being ready to.  Seems reasonable to me in light of how things have been going this year.

To you and everyone else who brought up police riot dispersal: I know, its covered in the edited out part of my post.  I used BLM as a comparison to the Oregon assholes because there is no current liberal group that would do that, my point was what would happen if leftist "extremists" were actually extreme in the way that far right extremists are.  My fear with the quote is that I would be called out as implying BLM and the Oregon assholes were equivalent.  Apparently I was mistaken; people in this thread have such a skewed perspective that they already think that armed militia taking over federal property and threatening the FBI is the same thing as the modern version of the old civil rights movement performing civil disobedience and allowing themselves to be arrested.  And your complaint, your one complaint, with a fantasy scenario where BLM picks up guns and directly issues threats to the government, is that you don't think its a fantasy scenario.  You think BLM has already done the hypothetical, we already know what the police would do in that scenario because its already happened.

But OK, I'll rephrase it.  A muslim extremist with a gun shoots up a majority white church, then walks outside with the intent to surrender (guess he didn't read the ISIS guides on the internet very carefully).  Think, in that case, the cops would arrest him and then give him a burger at the station.  (yes, I know they didn't have any food at the station and Dylan Roof was cuffed inside the whole time, my statement works either way.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: August 16, 2017, 05:12:49 pm »

If you want we can get into BLM.

I'm not saying that far right terrorists killing BLM members makes BLM right or conservatives wrong

Man... is this always the phrase of death.

---

But the reason why people call out BLM far more than they do Neo Nazis has more to do with the fact that BLM does far more to hurt racial relations and racial equality than Neo Nazis have ever done. As well as the fact that the public perception of them is nearly impossible to penetrate.

---

Actually I love this interview with Bill'O'Reily as it sort of perfectly encapsulates the issue.

Guy: "There is a problem with the leadership in BLM and it is far too volatile"
Guy 2: "But isn't there a problem with racism?"
Guy: "Yes, but we need to do so peacefully"
Guy 2: "There are a lot of people who say to have patience, but we have had hundreds of years"
so and so on. Basically every legitimate concern was shrugged off because it was "Racism exists and they fight racism"

The shrugging off of responsibility because BLMs is "Doing good work" but refusing to look critically at their work or actions or philosophy or beliefs.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438992/milwaukee-riots-black-lives-matter-adds-its-fuel-fire
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:21:16 pm by Neonivek »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: August 16, 2017, 05:16:50 pm »

I love how EH linked to a rightwinger shooting five people as evidence that more BLM people have been killed then have killed, ignoring the fact that none of those people died.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: August 16, 2017, 05:19:40 pm »

To you and everyone else who brought up police riot dispersal: I know, its covered in the edited out part of my post.  I used BLM as a comparison to the Oregon assholes because there is no current liberal group that would do that, my point was what would happen if leftist "extremists" were actually extreme in the way that far right extremists are.  My fear with the quote is that I would be called out as implying BLM and the Oregon assholes were equivalent.  Apparently I was mistaken; people in this thread have such a skewed perspective that they already think that armed militia taking over federal property and threatening the FBI is the same thing as the modern version of the old civil rights movement performing civil disobedience and allowing themselves to be arrested.  And your complaint, your one complaint, with a fantasy scenario where BLM picks up guns and directly issues threats to the government, is that you don't think its a fantasy scenario.  You think BLM has already done the hypothetical, we already know what the police would do in that scenario because its already happened.

Regarding the skewed perspective, that may be in part, a generational issue, most of us were born after the Civil Rights movement period. Sure, we've learned about it, but it's one thing to see it happening and another to read about it. Not giving it an excuse, just saying that may explain some of the skew.

If you want we can get into BLM.

I'm not saying that far right terrorists killing BLM members makes BLM right or conservatives wrong

Man... is this always the phrase of death.

---

But the reason why people call out BLM far more than they do Neo Nazis has more to do with the fact that BLM does far more to hurt racial relations and racial equality than Neo Nazis have ever done. As well as the fact that the public perception of them is nearly impossible to penetrate.

They generally did be rather aggressive in pursuing things, NeoNazis/white supremacists/white nationalists/etc probably learned long ago to not do that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: August 16, 2017, 05:23:45 pm »

Also I'd have to hunt down that interview... I watched it but I couldn't actually get the source of it... (it was a random news pop up and clicking on the title didn't bring me to that source)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: August 16, 2017, 05:31:56 pm »

In response to the response of the corporate CEOs to Trump's reaction to the Charlotteville terror attack, namely resigning from the government advisory committees, Trump decided to disband both advisory committees altogether.

Can someone get that guy a Kindergarten nanny?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: August 16, 2017, 05:34:02 pm »

In response to the response of the corporate CEOs to Trump's reaction to the Charlotteville terror attack, namely resigning from the government advisory committees, Trump decided to disband both advisory committees altogether.

Can someone get that guy a Kindergarten nanny?

Why not a Kindergarten cop?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: August 16, 2017, 05:38:33 pm »

You cannot do this with force.
Yeeaaah, all things else aside, bullshit. We already have, once. Didn't make them completely gone, but it cut off the gas and the rest came later. It wasn't attempted conversion, but steady opposition up to and including violence and a persistent social effort to treat them as pariah that did it, after we, y'know, broke the back of their military forces and nuked people. You won't find many people that are much more of a proponent of soft conversion as I am -- as I've said, Nazis are effectively the only goddamn thing in existence I think other methods starts off on the table and never leaves it -- but I'd be blind to not acknowledge that force is, in fact, a viable option when you're talking about stopping this particular ideology from doing harm. Necessary, beyond a point, because you have a fair bit of trouble discussing things when they're trying to kill you, your family, your countrymen, etc., etc.

We'd just like not to have to use it full throttle, again. Or even hint at having to, really.

You can't do it without force just as much as you can't with it alone, because to whatever degree violence fails to dissuade believers, anything less than absolute rejection does, as well, and harder. Giving up a whole slate of ways to stop this shit before it becomes (more of) a problem rather than after helps nothing. Particular when it necessarily goes hand in hand with a message that maybe these guys aren't that bad, maybe there's room for something besides slamming the door in their face and applying boot if they try to kick it down. Which there isn't, when you're dealing with goddamn nazis. That this country softballed the bastards is the entire reason we're having this discussion at all.

You can work on conversion and your 20 Nazis (which, hell, if you've got a handful of years to work at it, might even do a decent job and more power to you for it) after the several hundred or several thousand aren't a concern, preferably because society has rejected them so hard they no longer have the means to be one. It's even a hell of a lot easier once congregation like that has been made effectively impossible, and any interconnection made more difficult. Nonexistent or ineffective are goals just about equally desirable when you're talking about a group specifically attempting to organize for murder.

Ideally it never reaches the point force is even warranted, but as MSH noted, when you've reached the point that there are Nazis walking down your street with flags and torches, yelling the ideology's screeds and beating protesters, as your country's primary leader softballs them for reasons who the ruddy hell knows, you're past the point you no longer have good reason to interact with the ideology's adherents without being armed or expecting violence.

I ain't gon' say much if you're trying to talk a nazi out of that filth when it's one on one or a small group, but when they're organizing and gathering in the dozens or hundreds or more it's reached the point they're a threat to anyone around them -- because being a threat to everyone around them is literally their reason to exist -- and one very much sufficient to warrant force if less than that doesn't serve to disperse or contain. Which, y'know. Protesters beat with lit torches, murdered american, etc. If there was a way to talk that out no one managed it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: August 16, 2017, 05:45:15 pm »

Protesters beat with lit torches, murdered american, etc. If there was a way to talk that out no one managed it

Yeah, that is kind of a false equivalent.

"We should be allowed to hunt people down in their homes and then punish them."
"No, we should definitely not do that"
"So, we should just let them kill people?"

WHO the HECK said that? Why is the answer mob justice or no justice?

Why give the keys to Mob Justice to MORALISTIC IDEOLOGICAL AGENTS, ones who have harassed dissenters before?

Seriously tell me one group of people you honestly trust with a license to kill? Or with the authority to determine who is right and who is wrong?

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/inside-torontos-extremist-prevention-program-where-police-quietly-stop-wannabes-from-joining-isil-kkk/wcm/42bc513e-e2d4-432d-9414-c2facd0775db
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:48:28 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: August 16, 2017, 05:51:17 pm »

It isn't the answers, neo. You've got societal justice, where soft pressure stops the problem before it begins, government justice that breaks the problem when it tries to form, mob if those fail and what it takes, or no justice with a side of parts of your population getting killed if you don't manage one of the other three.

And again, I'm not saying hunt them down in their homes. I'm saying stop them from having a platform by law or shouting them down or whatever the blazes works, break them (peaceably preferred but otherwise if necessary) if they organize, and keep a group who's specifically aiming to gather enough numbers they can start easily murdering people from gathering enough numbers they can start easily murdering people.

E: Though so far as who I'd trust to put a fist into the face of a skinhead waving a nazi flag and chanting their shit, moving through a town and occasionally attacking people? Anyone. Literally goddamn anyone. Bloody ISIS member walks up and stops that shit and I'd clap 'em on the back before trying to clap 'em in handcuffs.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:55:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: August 16, 2017, 05:54:29 pm »

I honestly don't get it when you guys say "punching nazis doesn't work? Tell that to WW2!"

The whole point being made here is that we don't want nazis running the country, and that using violence against them makes it more likely they'll succeed, not less. The original Nazis didn't win in spite of conflict with the KPD and Rotfront, they won because of that conflict. They were able to spin those years of streetfighting, plus the Russian Revolution, as "Bolshevik agitators invading Germany," and get the support of a plurality of German voters. There's a risk of the same thing happening today; if the alt-right ever became competent propagandists, they'd seize on clashes with antifa as "nationalists vs anarchists" or something crazy like that.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: August 16, 2017, 05:58:04 pm »

We could definetly learn a thing or two from Canada with the extremist prevention program, but I imagine the police are trusted more among minorities in Canada than in the US. It can't be the only solution and right now, we can't experiment because we need actionable solutions right now.

Also, this guys own experience is probably a good place to start and while it's only one person, how exactly do you give compassion to large groups of them?
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 3566