Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4167190 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10635 on: August 14, 2017, 06:58:36 pm »

Can't say I think that's a good thing. Holding people accountable for their public behavior and espoused beliefs is good. Witch hunts are not. And I can't imagine the kind of bitterness and anger people losing their jobs over this will generate. Seems like the kind of thing that would push angry, possibly unstable people to do something rash and stupid and terrible.
Why contain it?
Very easy for the mob to kill innocent people, and that's without 3rd parties deliberately pushing the info of innocent people into the crosshairs of internet executions for their own personal army to wreck mayhem. Basically just to add onto what you say, it's rather symptomatic when antifa get fired for being nazis

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: August 14, 2017, 06:59:39 pm »

Not only that, but that article already points out two cases of mis-identification. One, at least, mistook a marcher for a white-supremacist that disavowed the protest for not being racist enough, but the same marcher was also misidentified as a completely innocent professor.

They also targeted somebody who wasn't even there, mixing in pictures of a person who wore a swastika armband to a Trump rally to prove that Trump supporters would not tolerate that.

Witch Hunts are bad, even when there actually are dangerous witches around.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: August 14, 2017, 07:08:17 pm »

Protestors in NC topple a confederate statue, stalin statue style.

That's definetly one way to do things. Probably a good thing that it was made from some cheap metal as it crumpled into itself.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: August 14, 2017, 07:23:23 pm »

Protestors in NC topple a confederate statue, stalin statue style.

That's definetly one way to do things. Probably a good thing that it was made from some cheap metal as it crumpled into itself.
Well that's one way to do it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: August 14, 2017, 07:23:54 pm »

That's Durham for you. They're the Florida of North Carolina, both the good and the bad.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: August 14, 2017, 07:25:54 pm »

The good, in this case, being that it's not in florida, mind you. That's the floridian good. Not being here. By its existence, other places in the country are made better by simple dint of not being the hellswamp.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: August 14, 2017, 07:29:14 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: August 14, 2017, 07:33:15 pm »

In other news, a three-percenter militia type was caught trying to set off a bomb in Oklahoma City.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/us/oklahoma-van-bomb-domestic-terrorism.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: August 14, 2017, 07:35:21 pm »

I really want to pull a LW and snidely comment and make a ideology of peace shitpost about all this shit.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: August 14, 2017, 07:37:16 pm »

Right-wing terrorist mugshots are always legendary.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: August 14, 2017, 07:40:01 pm »

In other news, a three-percenter militia type was caught trying to set off a bomb in Oklahoma City.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/us/oklahoma-van-bomb-domestic-terrorism.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The guy may be schizophrenic, which raises some questions of actual intent or whether the FBI baited him. Take it with a grain of salt though as it's the only source I've got that says anything about the guys mental illness, if he has one.

Not that it makes it okay, obviously, and we've seen that it's still possible for mentally ill people to have the lucidity to make detailed plans, just raises some questions about it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10646 on: August 14, 2017, 07:47:45 pm »

According to court documents, Mr. Varnell had espoused an anti-government ideology and had expressed an interest in carrying out an attack that would echo the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City in April 1995, which killed 168 people.
Continue reading the main story
The bank Mr. Varnell was said to target — the downtown branch of BancFirst, Oklahoma’s largest state-chartered bank — is about a half-mile from the site of that attack.
During a meeting in June with an undercover F.B.I. agent posing as someone who could help him, Mr. Varnell said that he wanted to start the next revolution and that he identified with what is known as 3 percenter ideology, according to an affidavit filed in support of the federal criminal complaint against him. Mr. Varnell sought to form and arm a small militia group, inspired in part by the movie “Fight Club,” the authorities said.
Hahaha oh wow meme responsibly
This is 'hey kid wanna blow up a federal building' tier stupid

*EDIT
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh gee I'm hungry for edgelords
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:53:31 pm by Loud Whispers »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: August 14, 2017, 07:53:56 pm »

He also "didn't want to kill a bunch of people" and upon being informed by his FBI handler that blowing up a building would kill a lot of people, said "gotta break a few eggs".
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10648 on: August 14, 2017, 07:59:06 pm »

He also "didn't want to kill a bunch of people" and upon being informed by his FBI handler that blowing up a building would kill a lot of people, said "gotta break a few eggs".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: August 14, 2017, 08:09:57 pm »

Protesters in Durham NC just pulled down a statue of a confederate soldier, dedicated to "The Boys Who Wore The Gray."

They've got a point. We shouldn't build monuments to men who died fighting for lost causes they didn't understand.

Spoiler: Right? (click to show/hide)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 3564