Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4169667 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10350 on: August 12, 2017, 06:58:04 pm »

Article updated as he mentioned it a half hour later, kind of seems like an afterthought when done via tweet, and the 'so sad!' comment in this context smells of sarcasm to me. That's the problem when you try to communicate in 140 characters.
emojis, hashtags and tweetbites are the highest form of communication

has irony gone too far

I was gonna reply with 'how would you feel if Theresa May, or gods no, The QUEEN spoke like that', then saw the transparentized text in the quote box.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: August 12, 2017, 07:01:10 pm »

Article updated as he mentioned it a half hour later, kind of seems like an afterthought when done via tweet, and the 'so sad!' comment in this context smells of sarcasm to me. That's the problem when you try to communicate in 140 characters.

I think you only read sarcasm because you look for it.
Condolences to the family of the young woman killed today, and best regards to all of those injured in Charlottesville, Virginia. So sad!

Seems pretty sincere to me.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: August 12, 2017, 07:09:05 pm »

I think you only read sarcasm because you look for it.
Condolences to the family of the young woman killed today, and best regards to all of those injured in Charlottesville, Virginia. So sad!

Seems pretty sincere to me.

You're probably right. I know it's his, well, verbal tic, for lack of a better word, just doesn't seem appropriate here, and by appropriate I probably mean presidential.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10353 on: August 12, 2017, 07:11:19 pm »

You're probably right. I know it's his, well, verbal tic, for lack of a better word, just doesn't seem appropriate here, and by appropriate I probably mean presidential.
Tbf presidential speak sounds soulless too. That's the problem with world leaders dealing with tragedies and having script writers, the script writers often lack for imagination after so many tragedies

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: August 12, 2017, 07:14:49 pm »

It's the "So sad!" Portion. Were it not for that, the message would be sterile, but still serviceable.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10355 on: August 12, 2017, 07:16:30 pm »

Spoiler: rofl (click to show/hide)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: August 12, 2017, 07:21:01 pm »

That flag is supposed to have yellow in it not black.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: August 12, 2017, 07:22:45 pm »

Quote from: 1 hour ago
Deepest condolences to the families & fellow officers of the VA State Police who died today. You're all among the best this nation produces.

Quote from: 47 minutes ago
Condolences to the family of the young woman killed today, and best regards to all of those injured, in Charlottesville, Virginia. So sad!

Given that the helicopter crashed a few hours after the car incident, I find the delay interesting. Someone prodded him to look like he cared, probably.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10358 on: August 12, 2017, 07:23:41 pm »

The US flag also has 6 stripes and no stars. I'm thinking this is a fake historical document

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: August 12, 2017, 07:24:42 pm »

You know, I think I saw some Pan-African flags in some footage. Wondered what those red, black, green striped flags were.

edit: Or they weren't Pan-African, *shrug*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: August 12, 2017, 07:25:06 pm »

The part where he claims "many sides" are responsible for the violence is extra special.

And David Duke puts out tweets today telling him to remember who put him in power.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: August 12, 2017, 07:29:39 pm »

Y'know what's funny? Nobody would've been hurt if the Charlottesville police had actually done their jobs. Instead, they had the great idea of pushing a bunch of alt-righters and a bunch of Antifa/protesters together and seeing what happened.

Note: When I say nobody would've been hurt, I'm using the logic that the guy who rammed into that crowd was probably pissed off about the rally being cancelled; he could've just wanted to kill people when he got there, in which case that still would've happened.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10362 on: August 12, 2017, 07:33:05 pm »

Y'know what's funny? Nobody would've been hurt if the Charlottesville police had actually done their jobs. Instead, they had the great idea of pushing a bunch of alt-righters and a bunch of Antifa/protesters together and seeing what happened.
Note: When I say nobody would've been hurt, I'm using the logic that the guy who rammed into that crowd was probably pissed off about the rally being cancelled; he could've just wanted to kill people when he got there, in which case that still would've happened.
To be fair I'm pretty certain US police training in dealing with protest to potential riot and general crowd control varies from state to state. How many people and horses did the police have at their disposal to marshal away the antifa and rw mobs? Plus I don't think the mayor ordered the police to create a clusterfuck that got the helicopter crash and all, sounds like a case of escalation out of control

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: August 12, 2017, 07:33:17 pm »

The US flag also has 6 stripes and no stars. I'm thinking this is a fake historical document
Hmm, i guess it is, yellow is also common color as its based off of the Ethiopian flag.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: August 12, 2017, 07:35:08 pm »

To be fair I'm pretty certain US police training in dealing with protest to potential riot and general crowd control varies from state to state. How many people and horses did the police have at their disposal to marshal away the antifa and rw mobs? Plus I don't think the mayor ordered the police to create a clusterfuck that got the helicopter crash and all, sounds like a case of escalation out of control
A handful of ralliers and counter-protesters threw water bottles and crap at each other from across policd lines, and the police response was to declare an unlawful assembly, and, using state riot police, push the ralliers out of the park directly into contact with counter-protesters.

I was watching livestreams of this at the time, and it was just incredibly fucking stupid.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 3564