Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4253810 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #10035 on: August 06, 2017, 09:35:56 am »

Probably about the same place any of the breakout (nominal, e.g. israel, or otherwise, e.g. probably iran) nations do? Whatever that place is, heh.

Maybe made a bit sketchier by how US actions in the last decade or so have put them in a pretty shitty situation, even just by what we've been doing on the other sides of their borders.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: August 06, 2017, 10:01:16 am »

Interestingly, Iran did sign that UN thingy wanting to ban nuclear weapons, though that's probably a choice loaded with politics (as it'd be a dig at the US) than actual policy. So, hard to tell if they're actually sincere in not really wanting to build nukes.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: August 06, 2017, 10:29:42 am »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/06/541876743/explosive-targets-minnesota-mosque

Incert witty sarcastic comment mocking lslamaphobes using their own memes.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: August 06, 2017, 10:49:01 am »

I live really near there, was pretty shocked to hear about it. I went out to see it myself. The damage didn't look too bad to me at first, but then I realized that I was at the sikh center instead.

More seriously, it's a shame. Feels bad when people blow up part of the community you live in. I hope they catch who ever did it.  :-\

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: August 06, 2017, 12:12:15 pm »

It really kinda' does. Haven't had (m)any bombings I can recall near-ish to me, but arson (generally targeting black churches, historically, though I guess they'll get around to leaning more towards mosques, sooner or later) isn't exactly unknown.

Interestingly, Iran did sign that UN thingy wanting to ban nuclear weapons, though that's probably a choice loaded with politics (as it'd be a dig at the US) than actual policy. So, hard to tell if they're actually sincere in not really wanting to build nukes.
Eh... they probably are, but only insofar as they can maintain the possibility of breakthrough. It's kinda' the best of both worlds; the deterrent given by the possibility of nuclear retaliation if someone decides to go existential threat on 'em and the room to leverage not actually going through with getting the capability in negotiation.

It'd possibly be different if nuclear powers weren't habitually taking massive dumps all over their back yards, though. Most even remotely relatively sane powers these days (and, by and large, iran counts as that well enough) don't really want to have to deal with having the atomic hot potato sitting in their back pocket -- they'd much rather have the civil power generation and whatnot and call it a day, because gods know that's better for the budget in almost every situation they're going to actually encounter -- but when you have other nations that both have it and are causing messes around you/the world, it gets real beneficial to have it.

Or in other words, when you look around and see pretty clearly that the only folks that get much respect when it comes to MAD (i.e. avoidance of things like land invasions, overt domestic sabotage, etc.) are the ones that can join in, well... it starts looking like the only way certain other groups (*coughUSRussiaEUChinaetccough*) are going to stop being quite so casually willing to shit on you and everything around you is if you got the bomb. So you want the bomb, or at least the threat of having it, to keep other actors from going quite so far as they'd be otherwise willing to.
Ask not!
Ask!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: August 06, 2017, 01:24:40 pm »

I have always thought that Iran wanted to join the club of nations that has the industrial capacity and technology to make nukes but not actually have them.

Japan for example has enough plutonium for thousands of warheads.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: August 06, 2017, 01:37:48 pm »

The situation has changed, now Israel has nukes.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: August 06, 2017, 01:41:11 pm »

The situation has changed, now Israel has nukes.
What, Israel didn't have nukes until last month, and now they've just acquired them?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: August 06, 2017, 01:41:51 pm »

Since Iran signed the treaty.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: August 06, 2017, 01:44:15 pm »

?

Israel is widely believed to have nukes, and to have had them for decades, but they've never officially said so. They've at most, teased about them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: August 06, 2017, 01:48:15 pm »

...yeah no my timeline was a little messed up there.  I looked it up, Israel was rumored to have nukes around 1966, the treaty was signed 1968.  I thought Israel's nukes were a lot later and the treaty a lot earlier.

Edit: Although, the current government is a different one than the one that signed the treaty, that might explain it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: August 06, 2017, 02:12:53 pm »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: August 06, 2017, 02:14:53 pm »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10048 on: August 06, 2017, 06:55:42 pm »

Israel would be crazy not to have nukes.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10049 on: August 06, 2017, 07:21:51 pm »

Eh... bout as likely not, really. You don't necessarily need nukes yourself if you have someone willing to do the nuking for you. Gods know the eschatological nutjobs infesting our upper echelons would be happy to make sure we'd lend a hand if it came to that.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 3569