Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need original ideas to steal...  (Read 2345 times)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
I need original ideas to steal...
« on: June 13, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »

I have been creating loads of fortresses lately, who all end up flooded or massacrated ( I did reach a metal industry once, meheh. )
Now, being the creative type, I have done a lot of themes for my fortresses. But since I am running out of ideas, I would like to steal some of yours     :).
I've done, so far:
- a human city ( EVERYTHING above ground )
- a hunter/breeder community
- an abby
- some sort of a paladin-warrior castle ( I made my dwarves some special Teutonic armour )
- a necropolis ( still alive!!! )
- a dwarven stone-export chasm colony
- engineertopia ( loads of windmills, water wheels and high towers all over the place )
- a palace with slums around it
- a temple built next to magma who worshipped demons by frequently tossing migrants into the great "lake of fire".
- a nature destroying cult ( they managed to piss off every elf ever by cutting down every single tree in the map )
- a tree hugging cult ( ugh... )

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Re: I need original ideas to steal...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

Well, an idea I've been toying with... it's the dwarven suicide mission. A goblin tower has recently become very dangerous. It must be destroyed. Now, the challenge.  Everything must be built under this tower. Not a single workshop above ground. They should have no reason to run off. If the tower were to, say, collapse, it would crush all parts of your fort. Now, for the real challenge. Put up supports to hold up the fort, then dig a channel around it. Build a bridge to the front entrance of the tower. Now, gather enough dwarves and supplies to take down the tower. Storm the bloody thing, bringing with you a single mechanic. This mechanic has to build a lever at the top of the tower, then connect it to the support at the bottom. This is the ONLY mechanic that can do the job. Everyone else has no clue how to do this. Then, when the lever is completed... pull. Congrats, the tower has been taken down, and your dwarves can die knowing their jobs were fulfilled.

Oh, and maps/recordings are needed for this epic-level challenge.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »

I'm currently playing out a fortress, come hell or high water, with a one-or-the-other goal:

There has to be a dwarf die of old age, or a citizen ( a baby born at the fortess site ) has to grow up and provide his/her parents with grandbabies (meaning the kid has to grow up and have kids of his own, but it has to be a kid born at the site, not an imported kid).

The first fort I tried this with the pop was up to 25 but I hadn't done enough with defenses yet and they got obliterated by an ambush (couple dead, most other murdered in tantrums, or rotted in jail/beating 'accidents').  **actually, the population was probably higher than that, but that's the last number I remember - I do know the entire jail of 12 chains was full towards the end there**

This time around, though, I'm not going to get discourage from any setback, just keep going until one of the parts of the goal are met.

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: Dwarfu ]

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »

Build your fortress IN the lava tube?  Complete with farming and trading all done in that tube.  Super Bonus Points if you can never actually construct any walls, but have to solidify magma through an elaborate series of precise waterfalls.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

I'm building an immigrant extermination camp. As a community fortress.
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=14&t=000140&p=
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

Underground Overground: You dig out a large multi storey cavern and then construct your city inside the cavern as you would construct an outdoor city.

Magma Fortress: Build a Fortress suspended over a Chasm floor up the chasm and build a water in pipe then dig a channel from the nearby magma vent to the chasm filling the chasm up with magma and effectively cutting you off from the rest of the dwarves world (Make sure magma covers the roof of your fort) plan will need a brook to supply mud for food growing once you are cut off. Bonus points if the walls are clear glass allowing your dwarves a view of the cool magma.

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 03:26:00 am »

*steals ideas*
I like the magma fortress idea. I just might 'upgrade' my necropolis to that.

Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

J Lensher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 08:02:00 am »

As a matter of interest ho do you build a city in a chasm? or in a lava tube for that matter?

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

flood the world with magma and live underground
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 11:20:00 am »

For the lava tube? - Use alot of water and careful planing!

anyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 01:16:27 pm »

Pyramids. Complete with awesome booby-traps and tons of valuable things and coffins. Then, seal it off, and go at it with an adventurer.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 01:21:18 pm »

After everything is underground from the expedition cart, NEVER let anything from inside leave the tunnels.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 01:30:01 pm »

I just noticed the pun about my necropolis still being alive. Haha.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 03:22:03 pm »

A 'windaria' type city.

built under sea-level and dependent on sluicegates and windmills.
an aquifier is a must, but have a good supply of stone for the sea-fortifications and buildings.

a farming community somewhere inland under a huge tree on a hill.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 04:40:21 pm »

Instead of stealing, I think you should sign a licensing agreement for these ideas.  The original poster would be the owner of the franchise of, say, goblin suicide fortresses, and you would pay them a monthly fee.  What would the payments be, though?
Pages: [1] 2