Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57

Author Topic: Paranormal 25 - Game over! Town victory!  (Read 79572 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 25 - Day 1 - Horror comes with the tides
« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2017, 09:08:02 am »

A simple FoS would presumably have worked just as well and been less...Weird.
In what way is that weird? Is it weird to actively participate? Do you want me to go after you instead? She's been playing for a long time. I expect her to know better. I understand she's got obstacles. That sucks. But she's also able to work around said obstacles. I saw her do so just now. That's weird, isn't it? Looks like she can post.

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2017, 09:58:11 am »

doll: You seem to have a lot of people you're happy with townywise.  Care to elaborate in more detail what each person has done to make you think they're townie?
Outside of certain roleslips, townreads are by definition metareads.
In other words, any townread is going to rely on the likelyhood of the player to breach their town meta while playing scum.
This is why I did not have town reads on webadict or tiruin early on even though they were playing strong town games; they hadn't made any mistakes that I would expect them to make make as town and not scum.

Regarding the actual reads:
Leafsnail
He said weeks before the game how he was going to play. Then he played that way. He has played that way every game in the past that I have seen. I don't agree with his idea of what does and doesn't constitute good town play, but I do agree with his idea of what constitutes poor scum play.
He's actually been pressuring (what he sees as) suspicious players and he's been looking for scum. He moved off of me onto another player as soon as his original case wasn't strong, and he moved off of the new case in response to a much stronger case on fillipk, which is the case the day is ending with.

Shakerag
He was inactive. He wasn't completely detached, and went through enough motions in RVS to skate by for a while. Along with Leafsnail, one of the only players to vote me.
His excuse of inactivity appears perfectly valid for creating the pattern of activity he had, and his reads list rounded out his RVS activity into a perfectly acceptable Day 1. My instinct is to say that scum aren't generally so careless as Shakerag has been in this day, and so he's probably not scum.

DA
On re-reading his posts, I've got to say that he's not actually as easy a read as I thought.
This is why I put everyone as unknown instead of trying to form an opinion, actually.
There's nothing wrong with his play, though he's gone almost exclusively after soft targets (fillipk, TBF, myself).
Deus Asmoth, could you post a list of reads during the remainder of D1?

Tiruin
One of the 'unreadable' players due to the strength of her early game.
Quite suspicious if she fails to provide information during D1. Not voting anyone, which hopefully will change soon as well.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2017, 10:19:00 am »

The only mistake I make in Mafia is that I can be actioned and found out through those. Other than that, my play is UNREADABLE!

Or something, I don't really care. Try to read or don't, that's yall's prerogative. I'm just here to play.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2017, 10:46:22 am »

A simple FoS would presumably have worked just as well and been less...Weird.
In what way is that weird? Is it weird to actively participate? Do you want me to go after you instead? She's been playing for a long time. I expect her to know better. I understand she's got obstacles. That sucks. But she's also able to work around said obstacles. I saw her do so just now. That's weird, isn't it? Looks like she can post.
What you did was weird in that it actively cast Tiruin as evil.  Whereas the usual sort of FoS like "Tiruin: reads before day end please?" doesn't, especially with the bit where you haven't actually received any message from Tiruin.

Is it weird to actively participate?
Why did you even ask this question?

...That's weird, isn't it?...
No, it's not.  It's honestly pretty consistent with Tiruin's meta, as far as I can call it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2017, 10:48:06 am »

I guess what I'm trying to say is that speaking for other players, even jokingly, is not something I like to see.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
!5pnm
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2017, 10:54:21 am »

The Whiteboard
fillipk: doll, hector13, Leafsnail, RattyB, webadict
hector13: fillipk, Persus13
IronyOwl: IronyOwl
Persus13: 4maskwolf
RattyB: TheBiggerFish
TheBiggerFish: Deus Asmoth

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Today (~9 hours from now). There are no more extensions remaining for this day.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2017, 01:18:16 pm »

I'm talk big and back down at the first sign of trouble. I accuse people of doing things that I won't bother pushing past preliminary atages because I'm too busy sitting here being a newbie.
Wow, I can't believe you would say such things, but I do agree with them.

Tiruin can come back and counter what I said, but until that happens, then I guess she can look as evil as I say. That's the thing about this game: your best advocate is probably yourself. So maybe she should stop me.

Alternatively, you can try and stop me. The only way you can is by being active, so I have low expectations. And if this entices you to actually do something, then I guess my job is done, but you don't see me casting doubt on the active ones, do you?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2017, 01:51:46 pm »

TheBiggerFish:
Wuba: Why on earth did you feel it necessary to do that?
Does your White Knighting for Tiruin help find scum in any way?

Tiruin:  I have to agree with webadict.  Putting out something, even if not complete, today would be much better than continuing to hold off.  And, you know, putting a vote on someone.

Leafsnail:  Are you concerned that your "lynch all liars" policy would potentially catch a town power role trying to hide from the scumteam?  If yes, then how would you determine the difference among scum/third party, gambiter, and town power role trying to not get NKed?

TheDarkStar:  So you've only got three posts and no votes.  Are you actually going to contribute to the game? 

Based on my reads, not answering my questions, and that most of his (at least recent) content is "why I'm not scum", I'm going to vote for fillipk.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2017, 02:46:44 pm »

DA

hector13
DA

He may not be scum, but his mindset definitely doesn't seem to be town oriented as far as I'm concerned.

You seem like you think he's not scum. What do you think he is?
I'm open to the possibility that he isn't scum, but he's clearly doesn't have a priority on advancing the state of play in favour of the town. That means if he's not scum he's a third party of some kind, but third parties in Paranormal are all lynchable in any case (especially things like Hive Minds and Spore Spreaders).

Why the focus on third-party so early though? Would you say the potential TPs are more of a threat to town than the scum team?

In terms of being able to re-anlayse D1 play, if he flips town, do you think the town will be any better off?

TBF

You're still voting for RattyB. As the day is ending soon, I can only assume you think they are scum. Why do you think that?

What do you think of the present lynch target, fillipk?

IronyOwl

Why do you think leaving your vote on yourself at this point is the best place for it to be?

Lady4mask

Persus13: Hasn't posted a huge amount.  He seems... honestly rather scummy to me, although not directly because of his contributions.  The tone of his posts reminds me of me when I play scum and not of my previous games with him, being rather... conciliatory, I guess?  He seems like he's trying not to make any enemies, and that got my attention.  Also, he asked a question to fillipk that had already been answered when I'd asked the same thing, so I'm not sure how much attention he's paying to the actual game.

In defense of my triskaideka-suffixed colleague, what were you hoping to happen by voting Persus here? Do you think he's the scummiest player in the game at this point?

I mean the points you're bringing up against him are... not very easy to respond to, so I don't really see anything being developed from him responding to this, and you seem to be scumreading him based on your own meta.

You also cite a vague question just to give the impression that it's something a bit more concrete than "he's too nice."

It's like you've gone "well, I've got to vote for someone, might as well be him."
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

RattyB

• Bay Watcher
  • Help.
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2017, 03:09:09 pm »

Why you should vote fillipk.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail
Do you think doll is 100% scum? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Sorry for the long post, and being such a Noob.
Good day to you, sir!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2017, 03:30:07 pm »

Alright, reads post completion time.

webadict: Is a wuba.  But seriously, I need more games with webadict to actually get anything concrete out of his behavior.  I've been rereading his posts for the last hour and while I have some theories about wuba, I don't have anything concrete as far as reads go because a lot of his behavior is out of my previous experience.  Let's say "neutral, mild third-party suspicion" for now.
Deus Asmoth: Votes for TBF early on and gets himself pretty involved in trying to get to the bottom of the doll shenanigans.  Low post-count but decently high content per post.  Fell off the face of the earth Wednesday evening and hasn't been seen since, would like to see his reactions to recent events.  Neutral-very slight scum, I don't like how he's just chasing the easy lynch without much thought into non-doll players, but it's mostly a gut reaction and we'll see what he says when he comes back (if he comes back).
Leafsnail redux: Seeing as how my last Leafsnail read was completely botched by a screw-up on my end, here's my new read: neutral-slight town.  He was the first to claim kook and did so early in the game, but ever since then I haven't seen anything that would convince me he's specifically town, since I don't have a good "town Leafsnail" baseline and he says here that he does his best to play the same way as town and scum, and especially with someone like Leafsnail I'd take anything they did with a grain of salt anyway.
fillipk: Looking over his post and the accusations that have been made against him, I'm not sure what else I can add to the case against him.  Yes, he looks suspicious, especially with the weirdness regarding the survivor claim.  The main thing that pings my scum-o-meter, though, was already mentioned by me re: his reads list in my last reads post, so I'm not going to go over it.  Scum read.

PPEs:
hector13: I'm not going to answer your post until Persus posts again.
RattyB: No need to apologize for being new, we've all been there.  My first game was a disaster (ISN'T THAT RIGHT TIRUIN), so you're already ahead of the curve as far as I'm concerned.  Thank you for answering my question.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 10, 2017, 04:29:41 pm »

Sorry, been away from the computer for the last while. Should be back before the end of the day to do reads, but in the meantime:

4mask: Town sided rogues are the exception rather than the rule for third parties. While I obviously don't think they're a lynxh priority, I also don't think TBF is a rogue since they seem to basically play like town millers with a kill. Also, just because someone's an obvious lynch target, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be lynched.

hector: I didn't say that I think TBF is more likely to be a third party than scum. I still think scum is the most likely option, but if I'm wrong about that he's almost certainly third party.

If he happens to flip town, the town won't be better off, clearly.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 10, 2017, 05:52:07 pm »

Why you should vote fillipk.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail
Do you think doll is 100% scum? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Wait, I wasn't skeptical of doll. I already told you, I think he's Town. I'm skeptical of his ability to marionette the Town. He has potential, but until he can fully commit and play multiple version of himself, I have my doubts.

Which isn't really a hidden agenda, since I've stated it multiple times.

You gotta have plans within plans. Not every plan works out, but every move needs to have a plan behind it.

@4mask: I'm afraid you've got it wrong on the third party. I just really, really hate how forced it is to say "I'm Town." Because it's sort of an implied thing. Everyone's gonna say that. My third party play would be a little more apprehensive about doll, but still following along. Also, I would've claimed better to doll, instead of making myself a target. Details, details.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 10, 2017, 06:17:07 pm »

@4mask: I'm afraid you've got it wrong on the third party. I just really, really hate how forced it is to say "I'm Town." Because it's sort of an implied thing. Everyone's gonna say that. My third party play would be a little more apprehensive about doll, but still following along. Also, I would've claimed better to doll, instead of making myself a target. Details, details.
Details details indeed.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2017, 06:30:59 pm »

Shakerag:
IronyOwl: You haven't said much of anything on the whole doll gambit business.  What's your analysis of both doll's actions and the general response to them?
I'm generally not a fan of super secret gambits, because I'm generally of the opinion that super secret gambits fail to catch scum and then get you lynched for doing weird shit that doesn't make sense to do as town. Even in this case, you'll notice doll's case on fillipk and reads in general have nothing to do with publicly falseclaiming exterminator. In short, even doll thinks doll's gambit doesn't catch scum.

That said, it was a superb RVS booster and it's been followed up by a ton of actual content, so I'm inclined to label his play as "brilliantly flamboyant" rather than something less charitable about being a lying jackass. I'm not entirely sure he's town, but if he's scum and wins he probably earned it.

I'm honestly rather surprised at how chill people have been about it. We've had a handful of prodders, but nobody seems to have really taken the easy bait and ridden a doll vote until Day's end. Shakerag and Leafsnail were I think the only ones voting him, not that strongly either, and they both swapped off as soon as he started doing things.

TheBiggerFish:
@IronyOwl: It's not that I'm not going to start playing till D2, it's that I like to have some form of solid information to go on to scumhunt.  Like investigative results, or flips.
Given that playing and scumhunting are rather intertwined, and that solid information usually only functions in the context of scumhunting, I'd argue you're only playing by a very fine technicality. Like playing D&D by passing your turn each turn. Present, yes, relevant... eh, technically you're a tile blocker and flanking totem, so from a purely mechanical standpoint, yes.

But it's hard to argue that you're a player.

I believe I did address their loadedness.  See:
Pretty much, word choice.  Connotations and stuff.  But either way, I don't think I should need to do anything about the focus on myself except play - that is, that what I'm already doing - at least, what I'm doing right now - should, you know, prove the suspicions groundless.  Actively "shifting focus off" myself implies that there are reasons for focus to be on myself.  And honestly, it was somewhat of a complaint that hector was tunneling (at least IMO).
You inadequately addressed it when specifically asked about it, but you avoided the bull's horns like they had your name on them.

As an analogy, suppose you asked me "Gee IronyOwl, did your partner tell you to tunnel me D1 knowing my game is weakest then?" What would you think of the following responses?

"That question's loaded as all hell, so no thanks."
"That question's, like, word choice. It has connotations. It's asking if I'm just doing this because somebody told me to, which I'm, like, not."
"Well now that you specifically asked me about it, that question's, like, word choice. It has connotations. It's asking if I'm just doing this because somebody told me to, which I'm, like, not."
"No, I told myself to tunnel you D1 when your game is 'weakest' because I'm pretty sure D2+ will go exactly the same except then you'll be waiting on 'more' flips and inspects instead of doing your goddamned job."
"Actually, my partner thinks we should leave you as dead weight and focus on more middling targets, people who might be making exploitable mistakes but could also be dangerous, as opposed to somebody who refuses to scumhunt except by waiting for Agent inspections to come through."

Because for me personally, the first one displays blatant, flagrant cowardice that no townie should ever have, the second is limpwristed and debatable, the third is that but also lazy and disinterested, and the fourth and fifth are actual answers. I'm sure you can understand by concern that you went with #1: Cowardice, followed by #3: Delayed Meh, avoiding 4 and 5 like the plague.

RattyB: Your word choice is very suspicious.

Why is fillipk "more of a threat", exactly?  How is fillipk more of a threat?
See, look at this. Was this really that hard? You have zero roleflips and zero inspection results, yet you still noticed something weird and began investigating it.

fillipk:
Definitely suspicious in my mind, in fact i want to see how he flips Hector13
So... you think he's scum for abandoning his cushy, lazy case on TBF for a cushy, lazy case on you? Why bother?

4mask:
IronyOwl: You're voting for yourself right now due to dicking around in a response to Ratty.  Since I'm sure you don't want to end the day with that vote, who do you think is most deserving of it?
Probably fillipk for admittedly weird and panicky behavior, followed by voting a claimed Kook (the fact that we have two casts some doubt, but I imagine secondclaiming it is the ballsier move as scum) for really, really tepid reasons. TheDarkStar and Tiruin could use a prod for lurking, though obviously a vote at this point is going to be purely symbolic.

webadict:
RE:TBF: Because he's too easy of a target. He's gonna attract attention tomorrow, anyway.

RE:Shakerag: Because I thought it was funny.

RE: Voting yourself: Uh... okay? Is it because you found scum?
But why 3 specifically?

Fair enough.

Oh? I take it you really... take scum seriously HAHAHAHAHA really though what does that mean.

That wasn't aimed at you specifically, it was just located beneath the last reply. But if you're curious, I didn't have any good targets at that point; revoting TBF felt lazy and I needed more time to properly evaluate everything.

I am also sad because people don't think I'm scum. I'm usually under a lot of suspicion, and here I am, being super secretive and fishy and audacious (with a hint of scandalous), and no one even bats an eye... Sheesh. I just don't even.
If it makes you feel any better, I briefly considered that doll decided to be a D1 lynch jackass, and as his scumbuddy you steered him towards a much more profitable way to play.

doll:
IronyOwl
Are you going to vote another player?
Yeah I intended to post around 24 hours earlier than this, when it would have been useful for Today. Geez, you leave a lazy vote on a player that happens to be yourself and suddenly everyone wants to know if you're going to vote somebody else.

Tiruin:
Love you Webbywubs, but wat.

...If you can just bop me for my activity, that'd be nice, but work day = 'horrible Philippine connectivity' + '8 hour workday + traffic and everything included' :P
You have my eternal wincing sympathy at your internet, but you know, if you have time to poke back at webs, you probably have time for something productive instead. Even a simple comment on the current situation might be better than letting the Day run out without doing anything.

hector:
IronyOwl

Why do you think leaving your vote on yourself at this point is the best place for it to be?
I mostly answered this to webs, but because I didn't have a real place for it and assumed I'd be back to give it a better home more quickly than I was.

rattyB:
I almost called you doll. My mind is clearly going in my old age.

That's a fairly short post but with a long-winded component. Why didn't you mention this reasoning at the time, or question him about his behavior before other people did?

TheDarkStar: You know, fillipk has a case I can say is self-serving and tissue-thin. TheBiggerFish has activity I can claim has all the nutritional value of Fine Alpine Hand-Bottled Artisan Air. RattyB has shown himself enough for me to think he's a little twitchy. Tiruin's complained enough for me to note that she's vanished.

You never really showed up in the first place. I do hope you're more active D2, because otherwise I'm going to find it difficult to justify lynching somebody who's given me the chance to find them scummy over somebody who hasn't.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57