Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57

Author Topic: Paranormal 25 - Game over! Town victory!  (Read 79566 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 25 - Day 1 - Horror comes with the tides
« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2017, 05:35:28 pm »

Unvote, fillipk.

I don't think the actual survivor PM is nearly as damning as doll and webadict seem to think it is. I've seen a good number of townies speak out against lynching survivors out of a desire to not screw them over, even though it is an incorrect way to play. Honestly, it seems most likely to me that he made his response to doll without thinking about it too carefully. I doubt it was a calculated scum move at all.

However, the explanation in his most recent post seems like bullshit. I don't believe that thoughts like
I was worried people would focus on it and not look for scum.  My response to you was to placate you if you were a survivor so you wouldn't go and try to get me lynched
went through his head and caused him to make that response. Both because they're really weird things to think and because they weren't reflected in the PM he sent.

I also don't believe the explanation that he was embarrassed at the time - if he was, wouldn't he have explicitly denied that he believed the PM in his post in-thread? I don't think the original behaviour was actually being made with a scummy mindset, but his attempts to explain it away seem dishonest. It also smacks of coaching to some degree, the style of the "Why I am not scum" section seems different to the rest of his posting.

The other big factor I see:
I agreed with Leafsnails points to the extent that I had nothing to add and my vote would be a bandwagon vote like Ratty's.
Why is that a reason not to vote? For this to make sense you'd have to care more about not looking suspicious than making what you believe is the correct lynch.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2017, 06:09:43 pm »

Now now Shakerag, be patient, I was watching the LCS this morning.  Man did I need that comb though, my hair was a mess before I found it.

Here's a nice reads list after looking through the thread:

hector13: His behavior has always been hard for me to read, especially without further context from a night of actions.  His kook claim does strike me as odd, like he was using the double-kook claims previously and the chaos doll was causing to fakeclaim, so slight scum read. A double-check reveals that was his first post after the game started, neutral read.
TheDarkStar: Managing to generate less content than me, impressively enough, given how little content I usually generate on D1.  Has three posts: one in the very start of RVS asking questions (pointless to analyze), one at the start of page 14 with commentary on doll and the other people involved in that kerfuffle, and a one line post further down the page in response to something Ratty said.  Very slight town off of his one post with content, would like to see more.
Shakerag: Spends the first part of the game being mostly snarky and not actually contributing much (granted this is RVS, there's very few contributions of note).  Votes for doll early on on grounds of...?  Never actually says why they're voting for doll until a much later post where the best descriptor he gives is "get lynched anti-town".  Finally says something other than pure snark while drunk off his ass, mostly anti-doll stuff with some very strange logic on the first part.  Reads post is... long, to say the least.  I'm going with neutral, since nothing he's done has swayed me either way.
Leafsnail: Probably my strongest town read, his behavior is pretty much following what I've seen in his other town games.  Surprisingly hasn't tunneled in on anyone yet, let's see how long that lasts.  PPE: Yep continuing the standard Leafsnail pattern.
RattyB: Pinged my scum-o-meter here with his interaction with TBF.  While arguably just new player weirdness, the buddying is pretty blatant in this post.  Their unjustified (by them) vote for fillipk is also a warning sign.  Scum read, slightly mitigated by them being a new player.
Tiruin: Is... Tiruin.  At this point it's pretty much tradition to give her a null read in my first reads list, and this game won't be breaking that trend.
Persus13: Hasn't posted a huge amount.  He seems... honestly rather scummy to me, although not directly because of his contributions.  The tone of his posts reminds me of me when I play scum and not of my previous games with him, being rather... conciliatory, I guess?  He seems like he's trying not to make any enemies, and that got my attention.  Also, he asked a question to fillipk that had already been answered when I'd asked the same thing, so I'm not sure how much attention he's paying to the actual game.
TheBiggerFish: Reminds me of me when I'm being a lazy-ass townie.  Low content, primarily defensive posts, and, of course, systemic laziness.  Neutral read.
doll: I'll condense my thoughts on the matter, because there are a lot of them.  Neutral read, lynching doll would provide a lot of information but I don't think it's worth it to do so on D1, they've generated a lot of interesting discussion and I'd like to see that continue into tomorrow.
IronyOwl: Town lean, they've been pretty good at following up on questions, digging for more information.

fillipk: This is just gonna be a partial one based off my issues with their reads list, which is pretty easy to summarize: it looks low-effort.  Like, even less effort than I usually put into my D1 reads lists, and I fucking _hate_ reads lists on D1 because I don't have any good data to play with.  Their reads on me, Ratty, webadict, TBF, and Persus are really, really lazy, and the only reason I'm not pointing out the Tiruin one too is because my Tiruin one isn't any better.  Like, it almost seems like they couldn't be bothered to look into the other players at all, just the ones they wanted to accuse/had a lot of interactions with, which utterly defeats the purpose of a reads list since it's supposed to encourage you to read through everyone.

I'll deal with the other three later, I have to head off for work, and fillipk and webadict are going to take fucking forever (doll would have too but I decided to just go for a condensed summary there, since everyone and their mothers has already analyzed doll half to death).
webadict:
Deus Asmoth:

Question time:
Shakerag: What was the impetus for your initial voting of doll?  Why did you not vote for anyone after unvoting them?
IronyOwl: You're voting for yourself right now due to dicking around in a response to Ratty.  Since I'm sure you don't want to end the day with that vote, who do you think is most deserving of it?
Persus13: Do you still believe Hector is scum?
RattyB: Why should people join the cause to lynch fillipk?
Leafsnail: Why is fillipk more likely to be scum than Shakerag?  Is Shakerag still on your list of scum?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2017, 06:58:50 pm »

webadict:
Are you just kind of done for the Day, then?
Not really. I will be done when I convince 3 more people to lynch fillipk. Also, I posted that while waiting for my car to warm up for work. I am a lot more busy than I used to be.

Lynching TBF is a stupid mistake. Nothing he is doing really jumps out at me other than being: 1) lazy, 2) newbie, 3) boring. Lynching him gives us relatively little information, unless you somehow think he is being really clever.
Why 3 specifically?

How do you think TBF's play would differ were he scum? What would the ideal time to lynch him be?

Lol, alright, Shakerag's probably town.
What makes you say that?

Yes I'm aware I'm voting for myself. What you gonna do about it?
RE:TBF: Because he's too easy of a target. He's gonna attract attention tomorrow, anyway.

RE:Shakerag: Because I thought it was funny.

RE: Voting yourself: Uh... okay? Is it because you found scum?

webadict: Why did you vote for hector13 originally?
Gonna be honest... I don't remember. I thought he was a little bit suspicious, but it wasn't much. And then fillipk was even more suspicious, so I voted him.

I am also sad because people don't think I'm scum. I'm usually under a lot of suspicion, and here I am, being super secretive and fishy and audacious (with a hint of scandalous), and no one even bats an eye... Sheesh. I just don't even.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2017, 09:07:11 pm »

Leafsnail:
So what's your read? You've made a bunch of insinuations in your post as if to discredit your attacker but you aren't actually making the accusation.
Huh.  Guess I didn't put a read in there for you.  Ahh well, shit happens.   I'd put you as a hairsbreadth toward scum.  Not sure that I was actively trying to discredit you.  Just making notes on what I observed from your posts. 

Why haven't you voted for anyone? You've listed 4 players as leaning scum (fillipk, Persus13, IronyOwl, RattyB), plus me who you're making insinuations about, plus three players who you wouldn't mind having die due to their playstyle (TheDarkStar, doll, TheBiggerFish). That's 8 out of the 10 other players in the game. Surely you should be happy to vote for one of those people?
Surely.  But since we have an extend I'd like to see the replies to my questions first.

To me it looks a lot more like you're feeling around for a safe place to plant your vote (keeping your options open) than you're genuinely trying to identify scum.
Leafsnail: So despite saying you think anyone being caught in a lie is scum and you'll vote for them, why are you no longer voting for doll?  Does doll get a pass for some reason?  Are there other exceptions to your "always vote for liars" rule?
He wasn't caught in a lie due to contradictory evidence, he just simmered down. If he is prepared to stop playing like a complete idiot going forwards then a policy lynch isn't necessary.
That feels awfully backpedal-y.

4maskwolf:
Shakerag: What was the impetus for your initial voting of doll?  Why did you not vote for anyone after unvoting them?
I voted doll because doll was being (as I believed at the time) very anti-town.  I answered your second question above in my response to Leafsnail.

fillipk: Changing my last question to you:  "Why did it take you so long to vote someone other than RattyB?"

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2017, 11:19:37 pm »

hector13
DA

He may not be scum, but his mindset definitely doesn't seem to be town oriented as far as I'm concerned.

You seem like you think he's not scum. What do you think he is?
I'm open to the possibility that he isn't scum, but he's clearly doesn't have a priority on advancing the state of play in favour of the town. That means if he's not scum he's a third party of some kind, but third parties in Paranormal are all lynchable in any case (especially things like Hive Minds and Spore Spreaders).
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 10, 2017, 03:19:06 am »

I'll briefly update my reads to say that I'm happier with Deus Asmoth, hector13, Shakerag and Leafsnail regarding townyness. In hector's case that's more of a ' good town play' read like I have on Tiruin or webadict.

Spoiler: Why I'm Not Scum (click to show/hide)
Convenient how you concentrated your scumslips into this section.
It was a good idea though.

Fortunately Leafsnail in this post covers most of them.
I don't know what coaching looks like in practice and my case isn't based around it at all so I won't comment on that, but I will say that fillipk putting actual effort into defending himself is somewhat surprising and a nice change of pace.
I have a scum target now that i understand the case against him and looked over his posts again.
You're late to the party. The case against hector fizzled out.
There's a new case to make against hector, but you didn't make it; you continued to harp on his inactivity and the way he pushed on a largely helpless player, but didn't account for his new activity.
Also, responding to persus because persus is there is entirely valid, since what I (and most others) really wanted from hector was activity and nothing breeds activity like active dialogue.

I am also sad because people don't think I'm scum. I'm usually under a lot of suspicion, and here I am, being super secretive and fishy and audacious (with a hint of scandalous), and no one even bats an eye... Sheesh. I just don't even.
I suppose since I've carried the thunder of my RVS storm you've just been looked at for what you've actually done, which is a dependable series of useful posts.

I'd still like some activity from Tiruin before the day ends, ideally.
Still waiting on that list of reads.

IronyOwl
Are you going to vote another player?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2017, 04:45:07 am »

A quick post before I go to sleep, I'm going to finish my reads tomorrow morning when I can actually make quality reads instead of half-assed "I should really be asleep right now" ones.

Deus Asmoth: Would you consider a townsided Lone Doppelganger to be lynchable?

doll: You seem to have a lot of people you're happy with townywise.  Care to elaborate in more detail what each person has done to make you think they're townie?

Everyone re: my reads post: I'm going to be redoing my Leafsnail read tomorrow due to a screw-up on my part, I somehow managed to blend him and another player, cheetar, together in my mind and my perception of his play was greatly colored by my memories of another player's play.  For now, just ignore my Leafsnail read, because it's utterly useless.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2017, 07:18:10 am »

Umph x.x I extended without checking the later pages (now having done that, I have another two pages to catch up on due to work related busyness).

I'll catch up on my Saturday (Not-day-end in Mephansteras time) and make a post early on! Sorry, busy busy for only now :-[

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 10, 2017, 07:23:02 am »

Umph x.x I extended without checking the later pages (now having done that, I have another two pages to catch up on due to work related busyness).

I'll catch up on my Saturday (Not-day-end in Mephansteras time) and make a post early on! Sorry, busy busy for only now :-[
Why not post what you have? That is incredibly self-serving to not provide what you can.

Color me surprised that you're basically activelurking. Thanks for not helping. We can always play this game without you.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 10, 2017, 07:32:24 am »

Hold on guys, I just got a telepathic message from Tiruin, let me write it down while it's still going.

Hey guys, little update, I am gonna post who I think is suspicious eventually, but probably not, and then the Day will end. Hahahaha, whoops. Luckily I had time to send this message, because even a preliminary guess as to my thinking that may eventually prove itself wrong would be too much for everyone, and being wrong would be horrible if I cared a ton about how suspicious it would be. Please accept my excuse for not being active on the first Day so that my actions cannot be investigated thoroughly tomorrow when there's more to go on. Thanks, Tiruin.

P.S. I'm still going to be catching up on Day 2. Hahahahahaha, you stupid fu-

Oh shoot, lost connection. Seems like she's too busy, though.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 10, 2017, 07:36:42 am »

Hold on guys, I just got a telepathic message from Tiruin, let me write it down while it's still going.
...You seriously think anyone would believe I wrote- *ahem*- I write like that?!

Love you Webbywubs, but wat.

...If you can just bop me for my activity, that'd be nice, but work day = 'horrible Philippine connectivity' + '8 hour workday + traffic and everything included' :P
I'm serious about my post tomorrow however. Thanks for the humor though!

...Man, I sound pedantic there. :I

Color me surprised that you're basically activelurking. Thanks for not helping. We can always play this game without you.
I'm actually keeping notes, silly :P
Y'know, the ol' "I'm offline and can't go online to Bay12 but screencap/otherwise people's stuffs so I can write about it later on".

In which writing the response may take time as I've a total of <7 posts, bunching up em all into big spots so people can easily check what I'ms aying and what I've noted.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 10, 2017, 07:56:19 am »

...You seriously think anyone would believe I wrote- *ahem*- I write like that?!

Love you Webbywubs, but wat.

...If you can just bop me for my activity, that'd be nice, but work day = 'horrible Philippine connectivity' + '8 hour workday + traffic and everything included' :P
I'm serious about my post tomorrow however. Thanks for the humor though!

...Man, I sound pedantic there. :I

I'm actually keeping notes, silly :P
Y'know, the ol' "I'm offline and can't go online to Bay12 but screencap/otherwise people's stuffs so I can write about it later on".

In which writing the response may take time as I've a total of <7 posts, bunching up em all into big spots so people can easily check what I'ms aying and what I've noted.
Well, it was telepathic, so you can understand why I couldn't put the right accent on it.

But you can give a prelim now, as I see you are here. Finish it tomorrow or something

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 10, 2017, 08:50:01 am »

Wuba: Why on earth did you feel it necessary to do that?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 10, 2017, 08:57:42 am »

Wuba: Why on earth did you feel it necessary to do that?
Do what? Tell Tiruin she should actually do something? And that even if her prelim findings are corrected later, that her posting contributes to the Town instead of posting excuses which do nothing but let her coast?

Woe is me. However can I live with myself?

I'd say "My bad for helping," but you just wouldn't feel how heavy-handed the sarcasm is without this sentence.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 10, 2017, 09:01:44 am »

A simple FoS would presumably have worked just as well and been less...Weird.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57