Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If no counter plays are possible, should I wait anyway to avoid revealing this?

Yes
- 8 (53.3%)
No
- 2 (13.3%)
Don't pick this
- 0 (0%)
Don't pick this
- 1 (6.7%)
Don't pick this
- 1 (6.7%)
Also don't pick both yes and no.
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: We Didn't Playtest This At All: 6/6 Game 1 Over!  (Read 3490 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We Didn't Playtest This At All: 6/6 Game 1 Over!
« on: January 23, 2017, 08:29:13 pm »

A while back, I picked up a card game called We Didn't Playtest This At All, along with the first expansion We Didn't Playtest This Either. Unfortunately, I'm not the most social person, so I've not had a chance to play it with an especially large group. This ends today, except I'll be watching the chaos from the outside. If the creators (Asmadi Games) ask me to stop, I will. However, I like to think this is basically free advertisement for them. It isn't like I'm dumping a pdf of all the cards on the internet or anything.

First, I'll copy verbatim the game instructions tell you what this game actually is.

The objective of the game is to win. If you lose, you have not won and are out of the game. If everyone except you loses, you win. There are cards with things written on them, and you can play them.

Very simple, yes? At the start of the game, I'll deal two cards to every player. Then turn order will be decided at random.

On a player's turn, they draw one card, then play a card from their hand. Some cards change this, of course, but those are exceptions. One done, play passes to the next player. Normally this is the player on your left, but we're on the internet. Some cards will need to be adapted for the setting. I will create a virtual table of sorts.

Some cards are star cards. This is because they are clearly superior to normal cards. To maintain balance, every player has an equal chance of drawing a Star Card on their turn. (Players can see the backs of cards, so Star Cards are sort of public information. Star cards may or may not actually be better than other cards.)

I'll put the more complex information in spoilers.

Spoiler: Extra Cards (click to show/hide)

So, if you're interested, I'll be taking 6 players as a test of sorts. Others will be added to the waitlist. Note: This game can and does end on the first turn sometimes. Don't expect to wait TOO long.

Players:
1: OceanSoul
2: DolosusDoleus
3: Dustin Hache
4: Nirur Torir
5: Felissan
6: Imic

Waitlist:
FallacyofUrist
roseheart

Notes:

Some cards base things off of player's characteristics (like height) I'll set up a vote on whether you all are willing to use those, and remove them if not. I'm going to default to no, obviously.

Most chaos cards only really work best irl, but I have my ways.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:02:09 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: We Didn't Playtest This At All: Signups 0/6
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:49:53 pm »

Into the conditional waitlist with me!

Basically: If I like how the first round goes, I'll be in the next round, but if I don't, I'll just keep watching.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:01:01 pm »

I'll want in, if this isn't illegal. By the way, couldn't you just randomly generate the characteristics (like height) when the game starts?  Even if it's only a d6 per characteristic, it could still work. I could randomly generate them, if you want. I would just need to know which characteristics would be needed.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:17:38 pm »

Screw it, I'll play too.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 09:21:31 pm »

I'll want in, if this isn't illegal.

I'm not making money off this, at any rate. Besides which, games like this ARE generally played with by more than just the person that bought them. After all, otherwise every play of a board game would be illegal if all players didn't own a copy.

By the way, couldn't you just randomly generate the characteristics (like height) when the game starts?  Even if it's only a d6 per characteristic, it could still work. I could randomly generate them, if you want. I would just need to know which characteristics would be needed.

This is actually a really interesting idea. I'll look into it, but if I do this I'll probably do the generation all myself.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:25:18 pm »

I'll join.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:30:46 pm »

Person..I looked at some of the cards online, and one of them involves the colors players are wearing. Seems difficult to generate accurately, but we could just generate 3 colors for each player.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:34:04 pm »

Person..I looked at some of the cards online, and one of them involves the colors players are wearing. Seems difficult to generate accurately, but we could just generate 3 colors for each player.

Yeah, some of these just aren't going to translate well. That could be done though, yes. Suffice to say that I'm probably creative enough to find usable solutions.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:45:40 pm »

Base them off of avatars. GM-guess at anything non-obvious.

I'll try joining.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 10:41:53 pm »

If I got a blank card, could I use it like this;
TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life: Pick an article on TV tropes, then pass this on to the next player. A player this card is passed to must name a new TV Trope article with a link in the prior article before they play a card. A link must be provided to/with any TV Trope article whose name is mentioned, even accidentally. If these requirements are not met, the player that missed the requirement loses, then it is passed to the next player.

Or would that be too cruel?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:48:43 pm by OceanSoul »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 11:13:59 am »

I think that would be allowable, with the caveat that the first article has to actually have links on it.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:44:47 am »

This game sounds good Chaotic Neutral. Of course I'll join!
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 11:50:27 am »

I'll try this. Lawful good.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We Didn't Playtest This At All: Signups 6/6
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 12:42:17 pm »

All right! I'll be distributing cards asap! Dustin Hache goes first! Current votes say to remove certain cards, so I'll be doing that.

Turn Order:
1: Dustin Hache 3 cards
2: Nirur Torir 2 cards, 1 star
3: Felissan 2 cards, 1 star
4: Imic 2 cards
5: OceanSoul 2 cards, 1 star
6: DolosusDoleus 2 cards 1 star

As host, cards that involve outside conditions will use MY conditions, and not the player's.

Weather: Clear Skies

Top Card of Deck: Not a star card
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:58:23 pm by Person »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We Didn't Playtest This At All: 6/6 Game 1 Turn 1
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 01:37:10 pm »

All cards are distributed, so Turn 1 Starts now! Dustin Hache, whenever you're ready.

Note: Every player will be given time to react to cards after they are played, in case someone has a counter they'd like to use.

Weather: Clear Skies

Top Card of Deck: Not a star card
Pages: [1] 2 3 4