Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress World-Gen Command Line GUI - WINDOWS  (Read 1402 times)

Ltan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress World-Gen Command Line GUI - WINDOWS
« on: January 21, 2017, 01:33:12 pm »

I am looking to get a feel whether or not there is enough interest in something like this for me to continue or not.

I have been a world_gen geek since the beginning of my DF career. As such, I have been looking for ways to generate worlds while at work without having to have DF actually running and thus distracting me. As such, I was tickled when they came out with a command line option for creating worlds, but found it to be somewhat clunky at times. So...

I have started working on a GUI to make the command line implementation a bit nicer to deal with. As it stands right now, upon selecting where your DF is at, it will populate a new region number that... hopefully.. will not have the same number as the other regions in your save folder. It will also allow you to change the seed used, please no special characters at this time, if you so decide to do that but defaults to RANDOM so that you don't have to worry about it if you don't want to.  The seed can also be randomized using a general randomizer in the app instead of using DF's RANDOM.

You will only need to browse for where Dwarf Fortress.exe lives once, as it will save the folder path into a config.txt file, or you can create this first and put the working path in it.  It will then populate a list of World Names based upon the world_gen.txt file for you to select from.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have created a git of the project here: https://github.com/LtanHonor/DF_commandlineGUI : So that it is known that there is nothing malice in it... Not that I would know how to do that anyways.

http://imghost.thumbprintpro.com/upload/2017/01/21/20170121133145-eb055937.png
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:42:18 pm by Ltan »

Ltan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Command Line GUI - WINDOWS
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 06:59:37 pm »

For what it is worth, the program is now at a state that I feel completes it.  It allows for multiple Regions to be created based upon how many are wanted to be created.  world_gen.txt is loaded and parsed, and the program now creates a config.txt file that the folder that Dwarf Fortress lives is saved to.  This means that you will only have to browse for where it lives the first time the program is run.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Command Line GUI - WINDOWS
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:16:00 pm »

The title totally confused me, I'd put world-gen in there somewhere, there was a batch generator in the dfhack subforum but I'm not sure what state it is in, still neat... for windows stuff.

Ltan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress World-Gen Command Line GUI - WINDOWS
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 07:43:37 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Max.  Title changed.  I never knew about the one in the dfhack subs...  I suppose I should search more!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress World-Gen Command Line GUI - WINDOWS
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 08:08:03 pm »

Yar, I think batch world generator or something like that?