Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Discussing Goblin Culture.  (Read 3915 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussing Goblin Culture.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 03:16:15 pm »

Goblins are disenfranchised 1%-ers. ~snip

This is why they're considered evil, right?  They're just bad, mean, dumb.  Most of the other sapient races aren't specifically aligned, but goblins are considered outright evil.  Their civilizations are even almost always taken over by Hell during worldgen, if I'm understanding correctly, or sometimes just outright murdered.

Well culturally they are pretty abhorrent, (remove the goblins and still warmongering babystealing murderers) and personally the goblin psyche is flawed to lash out with rage. You could say the same about the rest of the races being very zealous about their cultural beliefs to actually declare war on each other and occasionally their own race (for example, humans often fight skirmishes against each other)

I have to admit, though, I like goblins more than elves, evil or not.  They bring metal and a good fight.  Two things dwarves love.

Well, EVERYTHING's better than elves.

Elves have a endless supply of animals though, for all those delicious meat roasts...

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 03:53:02 pm »

Elves have a endless supply of animals though, for all those delicious meat roasts...

It's barely endless.  In all my games, elves show up with weak, anemic caravans where you can buy them all out with prepared meals alone.  Then they make weird, dumb demands, insult you, call you things like "stunted," and other such nonsense.  Sometimes they even leave around some moron "diplomat" you have to kill just for fun.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 11:13:40 am »

You cannot discuss culture without discussing ethics, I feel. I haven't got the raws in front of me currently, but from what I recall, goblins have a very indifferent approach to things others would consider unethical, with only treason being treated as a crime. Normally, you'd consider a society where theft, murder and torture in the hands of the population a nightmarish chaos, but are goblins usually killed by their own tribes according to Legends? If not, I'd argue they're more like a harmonious anarchic collective than anything more negatively focused. People'd settle their own slights, and in general live lives doing whatever their own individuality urges them to do.

A functioning anarchy, so to say.

If they do not kill their tribesmembers en masse, then they've either got a great intrinsic respect for the lives of other tribesmembers, or they're not instinctually violent, but instead are driven to bloodletting by external factors in some situations.

If they do enjoy killing their tribesmembers, then sociopathic violent lunatics is more along the lines of realistic interpretations.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:21:52 am by rawrcakes »
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 03:04:45 pm »

I always read this as "dank pit" which would suggest an entirely different sort of goblin culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpKu-1ZcsXE

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 03:16:09 pm »

If they do enjoy killing their tribesmembers, then sociopathic violent lunatics is more along the lines of realistic interpretations.

If they act in their own pits like they act in a fortress, they do tend to be rather murderous on a nearly random basis.  Also it seems any time a goblin civilization is mentioned by some diplomat, it's because some leader just took it over after murdering the previous leader.

Plus, they're always at war with you for no apparent reason.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 05:23:34 am »

If you look in the raws, you find that goblin personality and culture are two seperate things.  So even if they grow up in another civilization and believe in non-goblin ideals, they still have some goblin traits by nature, which can lead to them being internally conflicted.

One interesting thing about goblins is that they have high hate propensity, but also the highest tolerance of all the races.

In other words, they aren't racist.  They hate everyone equally.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 06:08:46 am »

If you look in the raws, you find that goblin personality and culture are two seperate things.  So even if they grow up in another civilization and believe in non-goblin ideals, they still have some goblin traits by nature, which can lead to them being internally conflicted.

One interesting thing about goblins is that they have high hate propensity, but also the highest tolerance of all the races.

In other words, they aren't racist.  They hate everyone equally.

Not forgetting altruism, they might be raging violent sadists  but detached from their civilisation they indeed still have hopes to be decent and even kind members of society with a better chance at life & overwhelming positive features.

Code: [Select]
[PERSONALITY:ANGER_PROPENSITY:25:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:HATE_PROPENSITY:25:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:VIOLENT:25:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:EXCITEMENT_SEEKING:0:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:CHEER_PROPENSITY:0:40:90]
[PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:25:50]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODESTY:10:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:CRUELTY:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:SWAYED_BY_EMOTIONS:0:25:50]
[PERSONALITY:TOLERANT:50:75:100]

From my tests with [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:RELIGION] and when given a religion, they make decent priests in world sites often pot bellied & large nosed goblins, though i don't know if that has anything to do with them just being that occupation or if the worldgen just finds them appropriate to appoint them to that job.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 02:50:16 pm »

Not forgetting altruism, they might be raging violent sadists  but detached from their civilisation they indeed still have hopes to be decent and even kind members of society with a better chance at life & overwhelming positive features.

Also for some reason, they seem to get elected mayor a lot.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 03:22:50 pm »

They have good social awareness statistics to help them with talking, even if they have pitiful empathy & a murderous streak.

Grumpy, but silvery tongued immortal's.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 02:44:09 pm »

Silver tongued, eh?

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 01:04:24 pm »

They have good social awareness statistics to help them with talking, even if they have pitiful empathy & a murderous streak.

Grumpy, but silvery tongued immortal's.

So, a race of narcissists. I can't imagine their society working very well.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 01:07:07 pm »

Narcissistic, gray or green skinned humanoids who steal kids.

They sound wonderful.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 04:02:40 pm »

I have once visited a goblin city and in a pit there were living 2 or 3 civilians, carvers, with hundred of figurines and stuff like this.
There were a lot of images of Dwarves, who apparently lived here long ago.

Another time, I was playing as an adventurer, and I found a slave goblin under a lord, and he begged me to let him free (which I did).
Long live to Kudzu.

So I quite like goblins. Of course they are murderous, but after all, they aren't racist. They live with trolls, dwarves, humans.
All evil, of course.

If they had to be a nightmare, they would be more totalitarian communist (ideology before all) than nazism (race before all).

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 06:00:15 pm »

Gobs can be good, but only if they aren't part of a gob civ.
Pages: 1 [2]