Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 151

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars IC Thread Chapter 5: At the Gates of Victory  (Read 101088 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars IC Thread Chapter 4: Family Reunion
« Reply #1905 on: January 29, 2018, 06:54:14 pm »

"Oh, right."

Dale held up his sandwich and pointed out the ingredients as he went.

"Piece of bread. Mustard - that's a spice. Onion - that's a plant, supposed to make you cry when you cut it, some don't like it. Mutton - that's sheep meat, sheep are four-legged animals you shear and then you make clothes out of the wool, like my shirt. Lettuce - another plant, looks like a green ball of tightly packed leaves. Another piece of bread. That's a sandwich."

He took a big bite.

"That's some good mutton right there. Must've been cut earlier today or yesterday - or else it's well preserved. Anyway the thing about a sandwich is, you can put pretty much whatever you want between two piece of bread and it's a sandwich. Some only put vegetables, some like lots of meat, and I've even heard of people putting bananas in their sandwichs. That's crazy if you ask me though."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:55:52 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: January 29, 2018, 07:18:12 pm »

Quetzie blinked. That was more indepth than she expected.
"I will try one. Meat is a source of strength. Add much."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: January 29, 2018, 07:33:11 pm »

Dale grinned and pointed at Quetz.

"You got it. One sandwich piled high."

The archer was quite adept with his skinning knife, quickly peeling off several thin slabs of mutton from the chunk on the table with a practiced hand. Next he put two on a slice of bread with a bit of mustard on them, then two on that with some lettuce on them, another two over those with diced onions on top, and a final two topped by the other slice of bread. The result was a bit thicker than his own sandwich, but she had said 'much meat'. He put it on a plate and held it out.

"Here ya go. Careful not to hurt your jaw trying to fit all that meat in it."

She probably wasn't going to get that, and he wasn't going to say anything if she didn't. Instead he took a bite of his own sandwich.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: January 30, 2018, 05:10:27 am »

Quetzie took the sandwich with a nod of thanks, but snorted dismissively at his warning.
"Hmmph. I am a warrior. I am sure I can handle meat without dificulty."
She took a delicate bite.
"...It is good."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: January 30, 2018, 09:36:47 am »

"Ain't it though?"

Dale was in his element when he was strolling into someone else's place and doing whatever he wanted. Eating their food was generally a good time.

"I'm gonna check around before we leave and see what kind of wines he has, too. He was a rich bastard, he probably has some of the good stuff laying around somewhere, know what I mean?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: January 30, 2018, 07:03:46 pm »

"Wines? That is alcohol, yes?"

"Let us search for it. I doubt they will have octli, but perhaps some barbarian spirit will do."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: January 30, 2018, 07:39:19 pm »

"Yeah, it is. For all that barbarian talk you and I ain't so different, are we?"

The archer chuckled to himself.

"Come on then, let's raid the place. Now, in our neck of the world, we make a lot of our alcohol from grapes - that's what 'wine' is - and we keep it in cellars for some reason or another. Couldn't tell you. Ah, this is a likely looking door."

Dale didn't even bother trying the knob before breaking through the latch with a solid kick.

"What'd I tell you? Ol' Dale, he knows where people like to hide their stuff. Come on, let's go get our drink on and you can tell me what octli is while we go."

He grabbed the lantern from the hook next to the door, lit it, and led the way down into the wine cellar.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: January 30, 2018, 08:17:34 pm »

"We are very different!"
She leant the cumbersome spear against the wall, but touched the wooden handle of the obsidian knife at her belt to check it was there if needed.
"Perhaps it is kept done here to keep cold. Some of the food in Textitlan is stored underground, where it is cool where the sun has never touched."

"And I will drink the drink, not get it on me. I am not child."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: January 30, 2018, 08:33:43 pm »

"Turn of phrase."

Dale had turned back to see if she was following and noticed her hand go to her knife for a brief moment.

"Ha. You're smarter'n a lot of folks, I'll give you that. You never wanna go with someone you barely know when you ain't got a weapon. That kinda behavior, wellllll... it can get a body in some real trouble, know what I mean?"

He hadn't planned on doing anything - he had more interest toward that ten grand - but it was a good bit of knowledge to keep in mind about this foreign woman. He made a 'come on' gesture and walked down the stairs just ahead of her so she wouldn't lose her footing in the dark. Again, something suspicious happened and he was probably out of luck about that cash.

"Here we are. Let's pop a cork off one of these sons of bitches."

Dale set the lantern on a convenient hook, grabbed the nearest bottle of wine, and popped the cork with his skinning knife before passing the bottle over.

"Ladies first, as custom goes."

He grabbed a bottle for himself, uncorked it, and threw back a quarter of it in a shot.

"Ah! You can tell this is real deal rich folk stuff, not that crappy five-for-a-bottle wine you can get in Ilim!"

"So anyway, tell me about this octli stuff. What kinda flavor does it have, and what do ya make it out of?"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:47:33 pm by SeriousConcentrate »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: January 31, 2018, 07:23:20 pm »

The pseudoaztec had a sniff before taking a cautious sip.
"..."
"I have had worse."
She took another swallow.
"Octli is made from the sap of the metl plant. I do not know if the plant exists in this land. It tastes like... Octli. I have no comparison."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: February 01, 2018, 04:19:31 pm »

"That's a bit of a let down, ain't it?"

Dale took another long drink.

"Let's speak in more general terms. Is it sweet or bitter? Since it's sap ol' Dale's gonna bet sweet, like the sap from maple trees."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 01, 2018, 07:37:28 pm »

"Hmmph. As you wish. It is a thick liquid. It is sour, or perhaps bitter. We use limes to flavour it, if you know those."
"It lasts little time. After only a few days - it is slimy, and no good to drink."
"The metl is no tree. It is a small...." She made a vaguely triangular gesture in a sort of cluster of spikes."The sap is sweet, but the drink is not. My warrior-sisters and I would drink after training or battle, to replenish what had been lost."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: February 01, 2018, 09:54:06 pm »

"Huh. Never heard of a sour beer before. Bitter, sure. Anyway if it only lasts a few days there's probably no chance of it ever getting traded over here."

Dale finished off the bottle, tossed it underhanded into a corner rather carelessly, and grabbed another off the shelf.

"What other kinds do y'all have? We've got a few over here. Besides wine, there's vodka down in Thalis - potatoes are about all that'll grow in my home country so we eat 'em and make our alcohol out of 'em. Then there's Astrasian beer, I hear they make it out of hops."

The archer looked up in thought as he took a drink.

"What else..."

"Pretty sure Ursangro drinks mead, which is made out of honey. And cider, out of apples. I like 'em all but wine is my favorite."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: February 02, 2018, 02:40:06 pm »

"From honey? We have a drink called Balché, that is of honey and bark. "
She drained more of the bottle in a series of surprisingly draining sips.
"There is also mexcalli. It is made of the same plant, but the flesh, not the sap."
She swirled the wine in the bottle before she finished it, and placed it by her feet.
"A type of worm is placed in it, once it is ready. I am told this gives more flavour by the metl-tending caste."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: February 02, 2018, 02:54:08 pm »

Dale pulled another bottle from the rack, popped the cork, and passed it over once Quetz finished her first one before taking another drink from his own.

"That's a new one on ol' Dale. Can't say I've ever heard of putting something like that in a drink."

"Heh, pretty much everyone around here would freak out if they got to the bottom of the bottle and saw a worm there!"

The idea seemed to amuse him greatly.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 151