Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Birth of the Bureaucracy (6/∞), Turn 6  (Read 15278 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of the Bureaucracy (5/∞)
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2017, 07:24:33 pm »

"Ah, welcome then Jasso. Now the flag is... well, it's suffice barring an alternative to it.

Now, legal wise I'm not the most experienced person, but the courts you refer to as the first call of justice would be district courts. The circuit court would have to be mobile in order to tend to the smaller settlements outside of the cities. Furthermore, the judges are to be appointed, not elected. I want to ensure that we've got competent personnel in as judges; if they want to be elected into government they can run for the senate. Furthermore, there should a high court beneath the supreme court, to act as a filter an allow for any crimes trialled at that level to have a means of appealing the decision. Additionally the court system must be an inquisitorial system; we don't need the average person thinking the court of law is an opponent rather than just trying to get to the bottom of things.

Finally, two things, one is that I am the supreme court, and thus the ultimate arbiter of law. Secondly, under no circumstances is legal precedence to have any formal status within the legal system, if it does crop up I might start setting a precedent for for any judge or minister advocating it to die a horrific death."

"Perhaps you should tell the senate about your plans to abolish legal precedence yourself then.

In any case, I can handle appointing judges directly if you prefer it that way. The state courts were intended to be the filter between circuit courts and the supreme courts, but you can serve as the supreme court if you really really want to show the people your unquestionable and totally unbiased justice.

However, courts under no circumstance should be mobile or is there any reason for them to do so, if the people want their issues settled in court they can travel to the cities themselves, as in every other nation in the world.
"
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2017, 02:44:27 am »

"Didn't think I'd be rid of the senate so soon. Well that will be a pleasure to enact, the judges have no place in deciding legislature at all.

Furthermore, there will be a high court that is below the supreme court, that being me. This means that anything that would've gone to the supreme court goes to the high court and potentially appealed at the supreme court.

Having a non-mobile circuit will spell disaster though, most of the population is rural and forcing them to go to the cities for legal cases will have a deleterious effect on the economy. However the smaller townships are unlikely to have a significant enough legal load to warrant a courthouse, hence the mobile judges. We cannot expect the justice system to work if we can only enforce the law in few places."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2017, 04:12:44 am »

(( Question: do you guys want to keep the Senate and Government Discussion parts of the discussion phase separate, or let both happen at once? We could also let them happen at the same time until there's more senators, and then separate them; and just assume all the player senators are important enough to be at the government meeting. ))
((That works))

"We welcome you to your duties Minister Jasso"

Action 1: Finish the survey of the Forts
Action 2: Help the Ministry of the Economy's efforts.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2017, 06:30:16 pm »

"A flag before we have a functioning government? If we really need one it is best we stick to basics. Such as this one."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Blue to represent the wisdom and intelligence of our enlightened revlution. Red as a nod to the blood of martyrs past and future. A flower to signify the bloom of a new age, one sown by poet and scholar alike/"

((I am extremely unoriginal :P))
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:32:53 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 09, 2017, 06:03:20 am »

Turn 5
Start of the Year 639 of the Jakken Calendar. Taxes and upkeep are collected and paid this turn.
Spoiler: >Important Notices< (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Government (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Government Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Federal Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps Page (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: National Census (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Diplomacy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: National Constitution (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Recent Events (click to show/hide)

GM Notes:
The Meeting Phase will end after several (roughly 3-5) days OR one day after the most recent post OR when the Dictator ends it. Any and all player senators are automagically invited to the Government Meetings, while the Senate Meeting is constant over the course of the turn and takes place in the background. Players may go before the Senate, but this should be performed as an action (as it takes more than one day/week/month to get much done in the Senate).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:36:02 pm by DontBanTheMan »
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2017, 03:33:59 pm »

(Hey Taricus, fun fact.  A modern equivalent of that 8 wealth you spent on that aviation project would be the United States spending about 2.7 Trillion dollars on one thing.)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2017, 04:00:26 pm »

((Perconari? Also we've more than made 8 wealth this turn in taxes Zan. I think you may be overstating it just a little :P))

"Right, in hindsight that one part about tax evasion being treason in the constitution is going to get a very thorough workout in the coming months. Those landholders had best expect any higher power may show mercy on them, because I WILL not tolerate such a vile and treasonous act against the state." Alavar let his rage trail off for a few moments, letting him recompose himself before continuing

"That being said, where successful the tax agency has managed to do a particularly effective job, gaining enough money to more than effectively pay for the army for the year and then some, meaning the treasury has about 3 wealth left in it's coffers.

Technologically, I've met with the inventor of the Campos longrifle, and from what I've seen such a weapon could prove revolutionary given it's accuracy. It may have flaws but I'd hazard that those can be worked out in time, or adapted to. Along with basically funding the entirety of the flight research for at least a decade, if not more, and we'll certainly have a lead in both knowledge and the prestige involved in being the first to reach for the skies with fight and achieving it."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2017, 04:10:38 pm »

((Perconari? Also we've more than made 8 wealth this turn in taxes Zan. I think you may be overstating it just a little :P))

(I'm looking at the economic report right now.  The percentage of our GDP 8 wealth signifies is the same as what percent 2.7 trillion dollars is to the US economy.)

(May not post for a bit.  Trying to get answers on a few things from Don'tBanTheMan about the Taxation Service.  I have many questions from what he sent me.)
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 10, 2017, 07:42:38 am »

((@DontBantheMan, iirc tankkit managed to conquer some territory? Could we get that added to the map?))

"Dictator, ministers, I would like to recommend spending some of our wealth buying food for the starving citizens, and sending our new fleet to break the Blockade on one of our cities and forts, and stop our conquering ventures until we have quelled the open rebellion of one of our generals along our southwestern border, which is of course of the highest priority"
"That being said, where successful the tax agency has managed to do a particularly effective job, gaining enough money to more than effectively pay for the army for the year and then some, meaning the treasury has about 3 wealth left in it's coffers. "
"My dictator, we would like to request 1 Wealth, so we can increase the wages of the bureaucrats. We are currently paying them enough that they can barely avoid starving and no more, we will need to increase salaries soon or risk losing all of our most skilled workers."
((Upkeep costs before the rebellion and economic crash were around 3 wealth per year instead of the 0.75 I've slashed it to. I still have cash left for several more years if you need the money for something else but would like to begin raising salaries asap.))
"Attached is the report of our Fort survey"
The survey of all forts outside of the warzone in State 4 is completed. The forts are currently organized in blocks, with each block containing a number of minor and major forts.
Spoiler: Fort Survey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fort Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:55:40 am by Demonic Spoon »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2017, 07:58:54 pm »

"Take 1.5, that should shore up the loyalties of the bureaucrats."

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2017, 08:08:08 pm »

((@DontBantheMan, iirc tankkit managed to conquer some territory? Could we get that added to the map?))

(( That territory will have to be surveyed; he marched into it without bothering to map out his conquest. The difficulty of this is that the people in these conquered lands don't really consider you their rulers yet, and the cartographers won't really know where the conquest's borders start or end. Right now, it's simply: "a small chunk of land northwest of the Belt." No major cities or other landmarkers (such as mountains or rivers) were conquered, making it very annoying to map out. ))

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2017, 09:10:32 pm »

Albertus Miroslav entered swearing up a minor storm just barely below his breath.  "My dictator, it is my displeasure to report a number of aspects of our taxation are doing horrifically.  We have managed to expand outwards with the money you have provided, but there is a major problem.  We've done our absolute best, and managed to increase tax payers outside the capital state sixfold, but seventy percent in those states aren't paying. We're pretty certain if we had any less money put into this, we would only have gone from the prior five to maybe twelve to fifteen percent.  For some hard numbers, the tax income to only increased by <1.2 wealth> due to only forty percent of the nation paying!  Combining the income from the Ministry of the Economy owned properties with the taxes, we only have <3.1 wealth> coming in per year.  The only parts of the budget I know of, the Ministry of the Economy and the Taxation Service need a total of <.5 wealth> to stay running in their current conditions, barebones in the case of the former and built up to bring in a bunch of taxes if people were paying in the case of the latter.  And all of these considerations are before the cities are getting uppity about the tax service!"

The Minister slumped in his chair.  "We cannot afford any wars, like the one we already seem to be in with the West Administration!  I'm certain it is them blockading us, just look at where the locations are!  And we can't blame it on their aggression, since it's undoubtedly retaliation for the territory Lord Warr conquered awhile back!  Have we even sent any diplomats out to check!?"

Minister Miroslav took a few deep breaths and continued, far calmer, "And our situation wasn't bad enough, here's the one report we had been able to conduct as alongside the setting up of the Taxation Service.  A report on our economy."

Quote from: Economic Report
This report estimates the amount of wealth generated by each State, with a short descriptor about its economic importance to the nation as a whole. Current accuracy of wealth generation is approximately plus or minus 26 percent.

State C: 14 wealth. 20.7 POP. Vital.
State 2: 17 wealth. 39.3 POP. Essential.
State 3: 8 wealth. 18.6 POP. Unimportant.
State 4: 11 wealth. 19.4 POP. Important.

"At current taxation rates of ten percent, even if everyone was paying taxes, the most <wealth> we could get from that is <5.0>, which would make our current total maximum being <5.9 wealth> of income.  At least, that is the level I am aware of.  If any other department is making money, I'd like to hear of it.  The Ministry is going to be one hundred percent dedicated to sorting out exactly what the budget is, but that will take time, and we need everything we can know of now."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2017, 09:32:10 pm »

"We've more important issues in waging war, not least having to deal with a traitorous general ensuring that our manpower is tied up unable to move, much less being able to afford the army. Reducing the army is not an option thus the only logical option is to raise the tax rate. Increase it to 20%, and the stormguard will be assigned to assist and enforce the collections. The cities will be dealt with, first with words, then with force. Rest assured it will be dealt with, and it will be done so in a permanent fashion.

However, there is one thing about the current taxation system that could use tweaking; the current taxes are on land and property, giving us only a small taxpayer base to work with. See if you can't rectify this into ensuring our tax base is larger after all this is sorted."

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2017, 09:35:36 pm »

A government bureaucrat realizes there's a mistake in the forms, and causes a stir among the clerks in the room. It comes to your attention that taking the traitorous general into account, the Imperial Generals and Admiral only require about seven wealth. This is still a good deal, but significantly less than what it would've been.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2017, 09:55:44 pm »

"We've more important issues in waging war, not least having to deal with a traitorous general ensuring that our manpower is tied up unable to move, much less being able to afford the army. Reducing the army is not an option thus the only logical option is to raise the tax rate. Increase it to 20%, and the stormguard will be assigned to assist and enforce the collections. The cities will be dealt with, first with words, then with force. Rest assured it will be dealt with, and it will be done so in a permanent fashion.

However, there is one thing about the current taxation system that could use tweaking; the current taxes are on land and property, giving us only a small taxpayer base to work with. See if you can't rectify this into ensuring our tax base is larger after all this is sorted."

"The taxation rate shall be increased.  As for new taxes...there does exist potential for the creation of an income tax, though with the current tying up of the military and the fact we may be under invasion by the West Administration, implementing that does have the chance of a populist uprising.  Especially if done immediately after raising the old tax rate.  Is the Stormguard aided collection going to occur now to go after those that didn't pay, or wait to the next collection?  I will need to notify the Taxation Service as to which they would need to prepare for."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17