Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Birth of the Bureaucracy (6/∞), Turn 6  (Read 15318 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of the Bureaucracy (5/∞)
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2017, 01:24:35 am »

Government Discussion:

"My dictator, I am pleased to report an income of 57 wealth from the sale of silk. While I would like to retain a small amount of wealth for the smooth functioning of the bureaucracy, the rest is at your disposal.

The results of our survey of infrastructure"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"I believe the chief items on our agenda should be the rebuilding of our economy, improving roads, upgrading our coastal ports, the establishment of public services like education, and the modification of state lines. State 2 in particular is a bit too populous to easily govern. Any further foreign action should wait until we've managed to get a defence treaty with the Suderland republics, which is vital for our continued independence."

"Now, regarding the constitution drafts."
The constituent regions of Estrella, as well as its other territories, are the sovereign lands of its people and administered by the Estrellan State.
"I suggest the addition of an important word, just to make it clear we don't automatically consider the territory of other countries to be sovereign land of our people."
1. The government of Estrella is composed of Executive, Legislative and Judiciary Branches.
4. The Judiciary consists of the police force, the judges and their staff.
"What purpose does the addition of Judiciary branch serve, besides removing Camilla from the chain of command of the Dictator? It can be safely dropped from the constitution unless a compelling reason for its inclusion is provided."
1. The Dictator is elected by the people of the State through its Senate. Each Senator is allowed to nominate a candidate for the Dictatorship and a candidate must receive 60% of the Senate's voting members to be elected. Candidates must have been employed in the State's service for a minimum of 10 years or in special circumstances, be approved for the position by the High Court as well as Senate. Should a Dictator be appointed under the latter circumstances, half of the Senate and High Court must immediately resign.
"I'm not seeing the reasons for the mass resignations?"
The Senate is composed 220 elected members and 104 appointed members. Additional seats may be created as required by the State.
Each state within the State may appoint 10 of its own senators without consultation. Each of these senators must have at least 10 years of government service or have participated in the Estrellan Revolution. The terms of these senators are permanent unless removed by their respective states.
"The number of appointed members seems too high. Perhaps halve it. Who exactly would be appointing these state senators? The governor of the state in question?"
T1. Enfranchised citizens are those who are permitted to vote for Senators.
2. All literate citizens are enfranchised citizens.
"Perhaps a requirement of having lived at least a certain time in Estrella may be wise. Also, by this law, young children who can read and write can vote. I thought this should be noted."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:44:24 am by Demonic Spoon »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2017, 02:01:06 am »

@Bureaucrats (DontBantheMan)
What population would these redrawn lines give to State 2, 3 and 5?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:27:51 am by Demonic Spoon »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2017, 02:43:36 am »

"Me and Sir Lootington here have recently conquered a small area of territory from the West Administration, and the region needs properly mapping."
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2017, 03:58:22 am »

"Excellent work Lord Warr, though that may opine the western administration to retaliation against us we can safely say that they'll be wary of trying anything.

Now, Carlos, the three states as drawn are there for a reason, and I cannot manage more than that many subordinates in government. It'll have to do for now. As for the constitution, rewrite it as you see fit to fix any issues you find.

With the budget now actually existing, and the treasury actually having money a division of funds will be allocated. While I will earmark 40... Whatever we call it, for the development and upkeep of the stormguard, the rest will be parcelled out to the various ministries and institutions; the ministry of the economy will receive 12 wealth to kickstart their taxation efforts and to stimulate the economy. The bureaucracy will receive 4 wealth to help maintain and improve it, whilst the ministry of the interior is to receive 6 wealth for the upkeep of the police forces. While no funds are currently allocated to the military, a quick overview suggest that even paying the bare minimum needed we would soon run out of funds. To that end we need more sources of money and quickly.

Now, I have to ask, how did the surveying of the forts go?"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2017, 04:33:56 am »

"Now, Carlos, the three states as drawn are there for a reason, and I cannot manage more than that many subordinates in government. It'll have to do for now. As for the constitution, rewrite it as you see fit to fix any issues you find."
((Couldn't we just have one or two of the ministers or your loyal advisor ( :P ) administrate a province? Seems better than bureaucratic inefficiency in my eyes, but like, just advising here. State 2 is like almost double over the upper limit for reasonable administration, so some rejiggering to at least spread that burden among the other provinces that are still under 20 pop seems wise.))
While I will earmark 40... Whatever we call it, for the development and upkeep of the stormguard
((You really seem set on being a actual tyrant dictator here. XD Some crazy military spending there. Can't we spend it on roads and ports instead? ))
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:36:25 am by Demonic Spoon »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2017, 04:46:57 am »

((Pretty sure the roads and ports are good enough for now. And by the time we'd need to invest in them, the economy will be well enough that we can afford that anyway. And no, you aren't getting any territories to administer; you're bureaucrats not governors. You're best used with assets that directly improve your jobs while the NPCs manage territory. As for tyrant dictator, someone has to keep things nice and orderly. Also means that we can actually get things done :P ))

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2017, 04:57:10 am »

((Pretty sure the roads and ports are good enough for now. And by the time we'd need to invest in them, the economy will be well enough that we can afford that anyway. And no, you aren't getting any territories to administer; you're bureaucrats not governors. You're best used with assets that directly improve your jobs while the NPCs manage territory. As for tyrant dictator, someone has to keep things nice and orderly. Also means that we can actually get things done :P ))
((One of the best ways to actually get the economy recovering is by investing in more infrastructure imo. And technically I have enough asset pool left to administer a single province and city, without effecting my job much, which will help make the realm more prosperous, instead of the currently poverty-stricken hellhole.

In addition, it really might be wise to begin investing in public education, since that takes a while to begin paying off its dividends, so the earlier we invest the better.))

"Me and Sir Lootington here have recently conquered a small area of territory from the West Administration, and the region needs properly mapping."
"My Dictator, Lord Warr, if we are already invading the West Administration, may I suggest focusing on conquering their coastal territories and the nearby port cities? If we can manage to do so this will greatly benefit our trade position, and our economy as a result.

I would also like to strongly remind all involved that we must in no way provoke the Inner region, for fighting two opponents at the same time may spell our doom, and neither of us are really involved with the other. In fact, we should consider attempting to open trade relations with the Inner Region.

Invasion Goals?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:15:51 am by Demonic Spoon »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2017, 08:19:46 am »

"Lord Warr, while it seems our esteemed Dictator supports your actions, I would recommend that in the future, you inform us about your warmongering. That said, let me begin with my report."

Fort Survey

"As requested, I carried out a survey of the country's forts. To be blunt, I simply lack the men to even complete this task. My own underlings are focused on maintaining peace and order whereas the country's bureaucrats are attending to our dear Advisor's orders. Simply put, I require more men to finish this task. Of course I doubt anyone would approve of my continued ascension so I recommend  that another Minister, or Advisor, take up the task."

Insubordination

"Which brings me to my next topic. While surveying the northern fortresses, I noticed that General Rodwitz has more or less become his own dictator in Eladria; the city council and indeed, the whole populace are in abject fear of him. By this I mean that more or less rules the city and his word is law, even allowing the executions of citizens without trial. I would also like to add that this is far beyond the jurisdiction of a mere general and that Rodwitz himself is not a stable man and quite prone to anger...these are unbefitting of ruler and unbecoming of a general. If it was only this, I would simply recommend him being moved to another posting or at worst, decommissioned. Instead, I would indict him for attempted conspiracy."

"As I attempted to bargain for the trials of those to be publicly executed, Rodwitz offered me a most fascinating deal: the lives of the accused in exchange for removing Minister Warr from his office. I would like to add that 'remove' in this case was most likely of the permanent kind."

The Economy

"I recommend the construction of factories. To assist in this, we require greater education. To assist in both, we need great innovators and inventors to quicken our progress. I once again suggest the creation of a Ministry of Innovation to facilitate these matters.

I also suggest that we attempt to set up arms factories both so that we can arm our own military and make a profit of the chaos surrounding us."

International Affairs

"I would like to remind the government that our dear admiral is still unaccounted for. A good mutiny or agreement with him would be a boon to any conflict we may enter."

Constitution
"The existence of a Judiciary Branch is to ensure that peace and order continues to be dispensed regardless of anarchy or conflict in the Senate or Cabinet. Furthermore, one cannot always rely on either branches to remain committed to the ideals of the Revolution, something which the Judiciary may ensure by promoting the Constitution and any laws legislated. To allow the Dictator and his Ministers total power would be in my view, complete folly. After all, who is to say future Dictators will be as good as those who came before? I would also add that the Judiciary would likely be run by a group of judges rather than myself. To give me such power would also be a folly."

"The mass resignations is to ensure that the Senate cannot select any random person at the drop of the hat; allows for far too much influence over the Dictator. This way at least, the newly-made Dictator lacks the support network, and puppeteers, that would result in a horror of a government existing."

"All other objections are agreeable to me."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2017, 11:20:42 am »

"Lord Warr, while it seems our esteemed Dictator supports your actions, I would recommend that in the future, you inform us about your warmongering. That said, let me begin with my report."
"I concur"
Fort Survey

"As requested, I carried out a survey of the country's forts. To be blunt, I simply lack the men to even complete this task. My own underlings are focused on maintaining peace and order whereas the country's bureaucrats are attending to our dear Advisor's orders. Simply put, I require more men to finish this task. Of course I doubt anyone would approve of my continued ascension so I recommend  that another Minister, or Advisor, take up the task."
"Thank you Camilla. The Bureaucracy has finished its most urgent tasks, so I'd be willing to take over here."
((The whole Bureaucracy thing hadn't come up yet when I suggested the military and interior do the survey.))
Insubordination

"Which brings me to my next topic. While surveying the northern fortresses, I noticed that General Rodwitz has more or less become his own dictator in Eladria; the city council and indeed, the whole populace are in abject fear of him. By this I mean that more or less rules the city and his word is law, even allowing the executions of citizens without trial. I would also like to add that this is far beyond the jurisdiction of a mere general and that Rodwitz himself is not a stable man and quite prone to anger...these are unbefitting of ruler and unbecoming of a general. If it was only this, I would simply recommend him being moved to another posting or at worst, decommissioned. Instead, I would indict him for attempted conspiracy."

"As I attempted to bargain for the trials of those to be publicly executed, Rodwitz offered me a most fascinating deal: the lives of the accused in exchange for removing Minister Warr from his office. I would like to add that 'remove' in this case was most likely of the permanent kind."
"This is most dire news. We must act swiftly to suppress this villain"
The Economy

"I recommend the construction of factories. To assist in this, we require greater education. To assist in both, we need great innovators and inventors to quicken our progress. I once again suggest the creation of a Ministry of Innovation to facilitate these matters.

I also suggest that we attempt to set up arms factories both so that we can arm our own military and make a profit of the chaos surrounding us."
"Minister Camilla seems to speak sense. Perhaps spend less on the Dictator's personal army and more on this?"

International Affairs

"I would like to remind the government that our dear admiral is still unaccounted for. A good mutiny or agreement with him would be a boon to any conflict we may enter."
"Last we heard our diplomats were still busy in talks with the admiral."

Advisor Carlos signals for some nearby bureaucrats to check if there has been any more recent news from the diplomats dispatched to the Admiral and the Overlord to the islands (@DontBantheMan)

((I was told negotiations are still ongoing in a pm, and that I could check for details if I wanted))

Constitution
"The existence of a Judiciary Branch is to ensure that peace and order continues to be dispensed regardless of anarchy or conflict in the Senate or Cabinet. Furthermore, one cannot always rely on either branches to remain committed to the ideals of the Revolution, something which the Judiciary may ensure by promoting the Constitution and any laws legislated. To allow the Dictator and his Ministers total power would be in my view, complete folly. After all, who is to say future Dictators will be as good as those who came before? I would also add that the Judiciary would likely be run by a group of judges rather than myself. To give me such power would also be a folly."

"The mass resignations is to ensure that the Senate cannot select any random person at the drop of the hat; allows for far too much influence over the Dictator. This way at least, the newly-made Dictator lacks the support network, and puppeteers, that would result in a horror of a government existing."

"All other objections are agreeable to me."
"Your reasoning about the resignations make sense, but I am still not convinced on the matter of the Judicial. They would still be picked by the legislative and executive branches no doubt, and merely serve the interests of those two branches, positions used as bribes for politicians and other such misuses, or a bludgeon to help along some sinister agenda. I do not think this will work."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:23:02 am by Demonic Spoon »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2017, 11:29:14 am »

"At the moment we have no admiral because we have not yet recruited them, and I have not heard word about the diplomat's efforts to recruit him. As for lord Warr's efforts I do believe he did announce those intentions in the last meeting so his success at doing so is not surprising, yet it is no less heartening.

For the economy, the factories are a good idea but if my recent forays into arms purchases such factories will not be anywhere resembling cheap, especially if we intend to make goods of decent quality. Arguably we'd should rather focus on improving agricultural yields before worrying about.

As for the judiciary, I believe the judges are the domain of the minister of civil services, and will thus be appointed by them, and them alone, thus that particular part of government should be well placed to avoid corruption"

Alavar's mood turned far darker as he turned to the topic of general Rodwitz.

"As for General Rodwitz, I want a general decree issued for his arrest. Had he not tried to become a warlord in his own right I would've humoured his request. But this defiance of my power, and that of the senate cannot and will not stand. You have my blessing to call in lord warr and the other generals to assist in the arrest, as I suspect his troops will not surrender. If you can get them to surrender that would be excellent, but the rogue general is the priority. Furthermore, the general is to be captured and brought to the capital alive, I do not need people considering him a martyr especially so early in the nation's founding."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2017, 01:04:31 pm »

"If I may clarify in case there has been any misunderstanding, Rodwitz has not declared rebellion...yet. Simply gone beyond his jurisdiction. That said, I recommend some subtlety. Make it seem that Minister Warr is indeed dead and invite Rodwitz back to the capital for...consideration as his replacement. Far less bloody this way."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2017, 02:23:28 pm »

"General Rodwitz? How am I not surprised. He's obssessive over power, he craves it like a squirrel craves nuts. I'm also not surprised that he wanted me permanantly removed from office, he hates me and everything to do with me. Once I thought it was just because I'm in a higher position than him, but I recently realised that isn't the case because he doesn't seem to hate other people with more power than me...

Wait.

What's his last name?
"
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2017, 02:30:50 pm »

@ Demonic Spoon
The census was conducted provincially, and so it's hard to predict how changing the provincial lines would affect the POP per province. Your suggested changes would probably balance the POP slightly better, but I guess the point is moot as the dictator wishes to maintain four states and no more for the time being.

Negotiations in the islands are still ongoing, though hopes are high that they'll join Estrella. The admiral's supply shortage is likely to become crippling soon, while the Overlord is still in negotiations about what his position, pay, etc. will be. The destitute state of the nation makes him want to look elsewhere, but your immediate proximity really doesn't leave him much choice if he doesn't want to risk immediate invasion.
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2017, 02:41:59 am »

The census was conducted provincially, and so it's hard to predict how changing the provincial lines would affect the POP per province.
What does that even mean. Part of the entire point of the census is so we could know how we should actually divide up the provinces. The province map I initially drew up, and which the dictator's province abomination is based on, was extremely provisional, depending on the results of the national census.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2017, 04:39:36 am »

The census was conducted provincially, and so it's hard to predict how changing the provincial lines would affect the POP per province.
What does that even mean. Part of the entire point of the census is so we could know how we should actually divide up the provinces. The province map I initially drew up, and which the dictator's province abomination is based on, was extremely provisional, depending on the results of the national census.

As in, there was no pre-existing framework for them to go on. When a census is conducted, they use artificial lines to judge how many are in a community. But when there are no pre-existing lines (or there were, but in a centralized location, i.e. the capital of the West Administration), it makes it very difficult to count the number of people in each "area". To avoid this problem, they counted the number in each province you drew, allowing them to conduct the census much more quickly than would've been possible with the number of employees and level of infrastructure available. The reason it's only +/-25% accurate is they cut alot of corners to get it to the government quickly so you could make some rough assessments of the general POP. When they tell you changing the provincial lines will impact the accuracy of the census, what they mean is the general POP density they established will remain semi-accurate, but they'll probably have to conduct another census eventually to establish how many people there really are. To be fair, they did divide each province up further, but struggled to get accurate counts when they had no way of telling at what point they crossed into another community. Alot of this was done in countryside with little to no infrastructure. The city census' were fairly accurate, but the provincial counts are mostly just estimates. They could've drawn more artificial lines, but this would've created a lot more work, and the smaller the "area" the harder they need to work to make sure they have counted each small area accurately.

In other words, they cut corners to do it quickly.
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17