Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Birth of the Bureaucracy (6/∞), Turn 6  (Read 15289 times)

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of the Bureaucracy (5/∞)
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2017, 12:42:51 am »

"The Royalist population serves little to no threat, but we could use their background as an excuse to seize their property."
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2017, 01:50:19 am »

- The settlement of unrest, and organization of the military.
Are there any particular problems contributing to unrest or is it just the general confusion and unease associated with change in governments?

EDIT: Do we have a navy at all?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:08:57 am by Demonic Spoon »

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2017, 02:09:36 am »

"General confusion and people trying to take advantage of the chaos to further themselves. Especially outside the Capital, there are many who would attempt to raise themselves outside of the government's influence. For the most part, however, Camila and the military have a lid on things. There's little risk of an uprising, but the unrest is likely to continue for a while."

"We have no navy to speak of. The admirals in charge of the fleets stationed in our ports sailed off, probably to the Capital."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 02:15:28 am »

"General confusion and people trying to take advantage of the chaos to further themselves. Especially outside the Capital, there are many who would attempt to raise themselves outside of the government's influence. For the most part, however, Camila and the military have a lid on things. There's little risk of an uprising, but the unrest is likely to continue for a while."

"We have no navy to speak of. The admirals in charge of the fleets stationed in our ports sailed off, probably to the Capital."
Do the Suderland Republics function under a similar form of government to our own senate? If so, establishing diplomatic relations with them seems a good idea.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 02:33:19 am »

"A couple of the Suderland Republics have different governmental structures than the rest, but for the most part they are much more republican than our own nation, lacking dictators for the most part. They probably would be more willing to form diplomatic relations with us than similar states that have adopted a more autocratic government, however. It is even possible that they'd invite us to join their defensive pact should we cement our relations with enough of the member states."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 05:08:30 am »

OOC: Ideally the administration of the provinces would be handled by senators instead of ministers (the less power invested into any single governmental organization or individual the better from Carlos' pov, division of power being key to the long life of the new democratic country, and this would probably make the citizens happier as they'd directly vote for their local administrator), but sadly we don't seem to have enough interested players for that, and frankly I don't trust the NPC's to run the entire country.  :P

Hopefully Advisor Carlos will manage to snag one of the provinces to administrate so I can set up universities and observatories all over the place.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:15:22 am by Demonic Spoon »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2017, 09:17:26 am »

OOC Stuff

Time period: 1700s [early modernity]

Nation Name:  Free State of Estrella
Capitol: Crevari

IC Stuff
Data gathering: Census, as suggested by Advisor Carlos. I also suggest that confidential [i.e. plots, rebellions, Major Problems, etc.] data be gathered by intelligence services via a network of spies and police officials.
Distribution of Imperial assets: In full agreement with Advisor Carlos.

Ministrial Changes: Should enough ministers be found, A new Intelligence Ministry should be founded to coordinate both foreign and domestic intelligence services. Until then, domestic intelligence ought be given to the Ministry of the Exterior which as suggested by Carlos, is Camila herself. Also consider a Ministry of Innovation, which would help coordinate research and increasing efficiency in the state.

Constitution: : "Inalienable rights of our citizens to not get taxed into oblivion or executed without due cause and the right to vote for senators to represent them in the senate. Upon the death, abdication or stripping of office of the current dictator, a new dictator will be voted into office by the senate, through a first past the post system. In the event the senate is unsatisfied with the current dictator, he can be removed from office through majority vote of at least 60%. Furthermore, each citizen is free to worship, believe and opine about all topics of discussion and/or deities without persecution as long as the legitimacy and stability of the state is not threatened."
Unrest and Military organization: Ministry of Ungentlemanly Activities to the rescue! While the military side of things will have to be left to the relevant minister, the unrest can be curtailed somewhat. Using the MUA's contacts, the government will apply some pressure on the criminal underworld. They are to assist in keeping unrest from spiralling out of control and in return they will be allowed to continue operation. Gently remind them that Camila was once herself a crimelord and know how the underworld works.

Diplomacy: We ought totally hire some mercenary-guards from the Northern Steppes. Their lack of connection to the previous regime, their ferocity in battle, and tribal honour will surely make them into trusty soldiers for the new and benevolent dictator. There is no way this could backfire.

Questions
Actually, how is the Northern Steppes like? Am I completely wrong about the culture of the people?

Those islands a little bit beyond our coastlines. WHo controls them now? They look like a good place to place some privateers to gather donations for the state's upkeep.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2017, 09:39:21 am »

"The Northern Steppes are a largely-unexplored region populated primarily by nomads. Several cities north of the Imperial borders exist, but these are small by our standards. Several societies have been encountered; during an expedition north in the year four hundred two, Imperial General Trevond and a purported twelve Imperial Units were wiped out by a group of unknown size or composition. Since then, they've largely been left alone except by the braver merchants and the occasional expedition. Several have reported a shining city far to the north, built by the gods themselves - but the very notion is laughable. What is known is that some groups utilize horses to great effect, while others live a sedentary lifestyle reliant on livestock. There are even rumors of lumbering beasts as tall as city walls, ridden by the most ferocious of the nomadic groups.

"As for the islands, it is unknown who currently controls them but they are probably independent now. The large island is home to a huge city that serves as a center of trade and gateway to the south, while one of the small islands served the Empire as a naval base and military compound. The other two (decently sized) islands house little of note, as do the many tiny islands that make up the archipelago."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 09:44:37 am »

Diplomacy: We ought totally hire some mercenary-guards from the Northern Steppes. Their lack of connection to the previous regime, their ferocity in battle, and tribal honour will surely make them into trusty soldiers for the new and benevolent dictator. There is no way this could backfire.

Questions
Actually, how is the Northern Steppes like? Am I completely wrong about the culture of the people?

Those islands a little bit beyond our coastlines. WHo controls them now? They look like a good place to place some privateers to gather donations for the state's upkeep.
"I cannot help but note the problems of distance and travel Minister Camila. Not only of moving a large host of warriors across or around the northern border mountains and through the hostile territory of the West Administration, or the much more circuitous routes through other lands who might object to their presence, but also to get our envoys there in the first place, and with sufficient currency and guards to entice the northern barbarians to come to some tiny nation they never heard of instead of simply stealing the valuables of the messenger."

((OOC: Going by the map colour the islands are controlled by the West Administration. I think one of our current strategic goals should be to conquer the West Administration's coastal territory, take control of the river, and try to diplomacy the islands into joining our glorious realm.

EDIT: And ninjad by those sneaky government bureaucrats.))

Ministrial Changes: Should enough ministers be found, A new Intelligence Ministry should be founded to coordinate both foreign and domestic intelligence services. Until then, domestic intelligence ought be given to the Ministry of the Exterior which as suggested by Carlos, is Camila herself. Also consider a Ministry of Innovation, which would help coordinate research and increasing efficiency in the state.
"I caution the Ministers and my Dictator of concentrating too much power into the hands of a single individual. While there are certainly arguments to be made for the increased efficiency of placing both branches of the intelligence under a single umbrella, I fear this steps into the bounds of unreasonably large amounts of influence being placed in the hands of Camila as Minister of the Exterior.

I would however, support the creation of an ministry completely focused on intelligence, but only if enough skilled personnel could be found to administrate the nation. Most of the candidates for appointment as minister I have on file are sorely lacking compared to the responsibilities of the position."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:25:41 am by Demonic Spoon »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2017, 10:26:22 am »

"I support the creation of a Ministry of Intelligence under the same conditions as... whatever his name is, suggested." He points to the guy in the imppecable suit. "I also proppose a Ministry of Warfar is created, since we will no doubt see some of that in the future." ((Not all the fancy pancy stuff that everyone else is doing, just a simple thing, hope that's ok.))
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2017, 10:29:56 am »

"I support the creation of a Ministry of Intelligence under the same conditions as... whatever his name is, suggested." He points to the guy in the imppecable suit. "I also proppose a Ministry of Warfar is created, since we will no doubt see some of that in the future."
Advisor Carlos inclines his head slightly to Lord Warr, "I am called Carlos Lord Warrickalneus, and am currently privileged to serve as Advisor to our Dictator. I would note that I have suggested the creation of such a ministry of Warfare, under the perhaps less belligerent name of the Ministry of Defence, and suggested that your august self head it. I hope that this would meet with your approval?"

((Not all the fancy pancy stuff that everyone else is doing, just a simple thing, hope that's ok.))
((That's completely fine. A lot of this needs to be put on the senate floor to gain their approval before it means anything, so you're input isn't really required, but would be appreciated. I'm simply trying to get the executive branch of the government on the same page so we can give them some coherent plans and proposals before we do that. A united front would also really help us get what we want from the senate.

It would perhaps be wise to vote on the time period we would use as a base in if nothing else though, since that wouldn't involve the senate, is likely to be the most contentious issue currently (and thus most easily influenced by your vote), and the one most likely to effect your own part in the game.))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:45:30 am by Demonic Spoon »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2017, 11:00:15 am »

"Ah, thank you." He seems to think for a while for asking. "I have not had much time to check, so could you brief me on any problems requiring millitary assistance?" He sits on a nearbye chair with Sir Lootington standing gaurd next to him.

((Time Period: 1700))
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2017, 11:03:58 am »

"Ah, thank you." He seems to think for a while for asking. "I have not had much time to check, so could you brief me on any problems requiring millitary assistance?" He sits on a nearbye chair with Sir Lootington standing gaurd next to him.

((Time Period: 1700))
"The chief military problems currently facing our nation is the unrest among our populace, the need to organize the disparate fighting forces of the rebellion into a single co-ordinated and harmonious military, our complete lack of any sort of navy, and the potential threat of invasion by the West Administration to crush our bid for independence."

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2017, 12:53:01 pm »

"Hmmmm... I could crush the unrest with force, but that's just a recipe for disaster, and while I like using force, I am not an idiot. One of you will have to deal with that." He seems to think very hard for a moment. "I don't have any experience with boats so-" He is cut of by Sir Lootington. "I have some experience with boats, I might be able to help with that a small bit." "Anyway, I believe I could help pull the rebellion army together, which would also help with the last problem." He strokes his chin thoughtfully. "How many soldiers are there and what are there equipment?" He doesn't seem to be talking to anyone in paticular, more of a question to everyone.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 01:02:38 pm »

"Hmmmm... I could crush the unrest with force, but that's just a recipe for disaster, and while I like using force, I am not an idiot. One of you will have to deal with that."
"Not at all Lord Warr, opportunists have been trying to rebel against our government and carve out their own personal fiefs from our nation, which reports indicate our military forces have been most adept at suppressing. Though certainly we would have been much worse off without some more... subtle support from certain quarters, the aid of the military has, and most probably will continue to be for some time, vital in this matter. That is to say, until we manage to establish a monopoly on military force, we will need to use said force."
He seems to think very hard for a moment. "I don't have any experience with boats so-" He is cut of by Sir Lootington. "I have some experience with boats, I might be able to help with that a small bit." "Anyway, I believe I could help pull the rebellion army together, which would also help with the last problem." He strokes his chin thoughtfully. "How many soldiers are there and what are there equipment?" He doesn't seem to be talking to anyone in paticular, more of a question to everyone.
((OOC: This is what we know currently
Current Government Assets, Units, Subordinates:
Imperial Gen. Warr, 5 Imperial Units + 1 Riverguard Unit [currently in capital]
Imperial Gen. Rodwitz, 4 Imperial Units [currently in north]
Imperial Gen. Narváez, 3 Imperial Units [currently in southeast]
Imperial Gen. Rosales, 3 Imperial Units [currently in west]
Imperial Gen. Moreno, 2 Riverguard Units [currently in capital]
10 Revolutionary Units (directly controlled) [scattered; mostly in urban areas]
Unknown quantity of forts occupied by the generals
Military forces apparently currently involved somehow in stopping uprisings
Presumably the efficient government bureacrats will provide you with more information once the time period is settled, as detailed military information would probably vary greatly by era.))

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:11:09 pm by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17