Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Birth of the Bureaucracy (6/∞), Turn 6  (Read 15294 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of the Bureaucracy (5/∞)
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2017, 01:56:25 am »

"Of course, your Excellency. That said, fools do not tend to survive long on the street. Bastards surely, but not fools. Even if you were to eliminate them entirely, you'd quickly find them replaced. Better to keep them under control rather than eliminate completely...although I will of course deal with them if the government decides it is required."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2017, 04:19:37 am »

"Are there any objections to the Dictator's agenda for the senate meeting? If not, we can call the senate to council and begin the vote on whether or not to pass the constitution into law. If there are any objections, we best iron out a compromise before we assemble the senate."
"I have advised. We will see what is the will of the senate."

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2017, 04:22:02 am »

"Nothing else from me."
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2017, 04:23:02 pm »

The senate is called to meeting, with three hundred fifteen of the influential figures attending. The following constitution is proposed before them:

Inalienable rights of our citizens to not get taxed into oblivion or executed without due cause and the right to vote for senators to represent them in the senate. Upon the death, abdication or stripping of office of the current dictator, a new dictator will be voted into office by the senate, through a preferential system. In the event the senate is unsatisfied with the current dictator, he can be removed from office through majority vote of at least 66%. Furthermore, each citizen is free to worship, believe and opine about all topics of discussion and/or deities without persecution as long as the legitimacy and stability of the state is not threatened."

As discussion kicks off, the senate seems to be in favor of the constitution; though there are many who wish to make changes, major or minor, to the document. How much are we willing to change?
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2017, 04:50:26 pm »

Open to making some changes, yet resolute on the 66% being the absolute lowest for the vote of no confidence. All for it if they want it to require 75% or the like though.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2017, 05:02:29 pm »

((Posting to steal ideas for SPAMKINGDOM watch and b entertained))
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2017, 05:09:17 pm »

I'd be willing to change quite a lot actually. You said "simple" so I did simple, but a lot could be added to the constitution.

((@Haspen, participate as a senator at least, jeez.  :'( ))

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2017, 05:13:05 pm »

(( The Senate is still in session, so now would be the time for objections to be raised and modifications added to the constitution. ))
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2017, 07:23:01 pm »

Not really planning to join this, but if anyone can post. Overall, doesn't look done. (Not that I actually expect a full/proper one for a game, but even then.) That said, I have some decidedly minor nitpicks to share.

Inalienable rights of our citizens to not get taxed into oblivion or executed without due cause and the right to vote for senators to represent them in the senate.

Not being taxed "into oblivion" is still kind of permissive/open to abuse. Perhaps change to "...to not be taxed beyond their means to maintain a reasonable standard of living"? Is open to interpretation but I feel serves as a better guideline.

Furthermore, each citizen is free to worship, believe and opine about all topics of discussion and/or deities without persecution as long as the legitimacy and stability of the state is not threatened."

I assume this is meant to ensure that freedom of worship and speech is permitted as long as the offending speech, idea, or religion doesn't threaten the state. Yet is also sounds like I can understand/misinterpret  it to mean that any threat to the state can in turn justify suppression of ideas or speech regardless of their relation to the threat. Would prefer:

"Furthermore, each citizen is free to worship, believe and opine about all topics of discussion and/or deities without persecution by the state as long as the legitimacy and stability of the state is not threatened by the worship, belief, or speech in question."

Makes more clear that persecution is only permitted by the state if the religion or idea is what is threatening the state.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:25:35 pm by Cain12 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2017, 08:59:55 pm »

So basically you've pointed it out that it makes it better to be me right? :P

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2017, 11:57:41 pm »

Not really planning to join this, but if anyone can post. Overall, doesn't look done. (Not that I actually expect a full/proper one for a game, but even then.) That said, I have some decidedly minor nitpicks to share.

Inalienable rights of our citizens to not get taxed into oblivion or executed without due cause and the right to vote for senators to represent them in the senate.

Not being taxed "into oblivion" is still kind of permissive/open to abuse. Perhaps change to "...to not be taxed beyond their means to maintain a reasonable standard of living"? Is open to interpretation but I feel serves as a better guideline.

Furthermore, each citizen is free to worship, believe and opine about all topics of discussion and/or deities without persecution as long as the legitimacy and stability of the state is not threatened."

I assume this is meant to ensure that freedom of worship and speech is permitted as long as the offending speech, idea, or religion doesn't threaten the state. Yet is also sounds like I can understand/misinterpret  it to mean that any threat to the state can in turn justify suppression of ideas or speech regardless of their relation to the threat. Would prefer:

"Furthermore, each citizen is free to worship, believe and opine about all topics of discussion and/or deities without persecution by the state as long as the legitimacy and stability of the state is not threatened by the worship, belief, or speech in question."

Makes more clear that persecution is only permitted by the state if the religion or idea is what is threatening the state.
We find Senator Cain's commentary to be quite wise and insightful.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2017, 02:59:54 pm »

So basically you've pointed it out that it makes it better to be me right? :P
Well I was hoping to highlight that your constitution was something of a sham. So yeah, pretty much. :P

Just threw in the nitpicks. The government you are building shouldn't stand on such shaky foundations.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2017, 04:40:36 pm »

Nonsense, it's a very solid foundation.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2017, 08:55:45 am »

((Pfp ))

Ministers aren't even mentioned, can one person hold more than one position? Can the Dictator, can a senator? Should they be chosen by the Dictator, do they require senate approval?((Ooc we kinda know this stuff, but where better to put it IC?))

Nor is the number of senators, is our current 342 (with 315 in attendance now) to stay or can there be  more or less?

We are also lacking requirements for positions. Age, birth country, lenght of citizenship, qualfications, do any of these matter? Can a 5 year old be elected as a senator or dictator, or made a minister? What about a foreigner? A criminal? A woman?

How long does one remain a senator, for life, 10 years, or 5 years? When does the Senate meet? Are their meetings public or private?

What about merchants or other travelers, are their rights not to be protected within our borders?

Tip of the ice berg of questions this has failed to answer that require an answer soon if not now.  What you have might do, but quite frankly, is an incomplete first draft. ((At least is not VERY solid  :P ))

((Doubt I'm being more than a nuisance so have some more nitpicking))

Change execution without due cause to include imprisonment, torture and the like, maybe something wide such as inhumane  or degrading acts.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2017, 09:03:36 am »

((Pfp ))

Ministers aren't even mentioned, can one person hold more than one position? Can the Dictator, can a senator? Should they be chosen by the Dictator, do they require senate approval?((Ooc we kinda know this stuff, but where better to put it IC?))

Nor is the number of senators, is our current 342 (with 315 in attendance now) to stay or can there be  more or less?

We are also lacking requirements for positions. Age, birth country, lenght of citizenship, qualfications, do any of these matter? Can a 5 year old be elected as a senator or dictator, or made a minister? What about a foreigner? A criminal? A woman?

How long does one remain a senator, for life, 10 years, or 5 years? When does the Senate meet? Are their meetings public or private?

What about merchants or other travelers, are their rights not to be protected within our borders?

Tip of the ice berg of questions this has failed to answer that require an answer soon if not now.  What you have might do, but quite frankly, is an incomplete first draft. ((At least is not VERY solid  :P ))

((Doubt I'm being more than a nuisance so have some more nitpicking))

Change execution without due cause to include imprisonment, torture and the like, maybe something wide such as inhumane  or degrading acts.
1+
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17