Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Birth of the Bureaucracy (6/∞), Turn 6  (Read 15291 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of the Bureaucracy (5/∞)
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2017, 01:15:33 pm »

OOC Stuff

((Time period: 1800s))

IC Stuff
Constitution: : "Inalienable rights of our citizens to not get taxed into oblivion or executed without due cause and the right to vote for senators to represent them in the senate. Upon the death, abdication or stripping of office of the current dictator, a new dictator will be voted into office by the senate, through a preferential system. In the event the senate is unsatisfied with the current dictator, he can be removed from office through majority vote of at least 80%. Furthermore, each citizen is free to worship, believe and opine about all topics of discussion and/or deities without persecution as long as the legitimacy and stability of the state is not threatened."

Ministries: Divide the ministry of the exterior (Diplomacy, International Trade, Military, Foreign Intelligence) into the Ministry of foreign affairs (Diplomacy, International Trade) and Ministry of Defence (Military). Foreign intelligence is shifted to the ministry of the interior. Presumably one major action. Camila is appointed minister of the interior, Lord Warrickalneus is appointed minister of Defense. Kanami Awerick is appointed minister of Civil Service. A capable diplomat is appointed to be the minister of foreign affairs. While additional ministries to cover areas not already mentioned would be good too add, at the current time their creation is untenable to the current goal of stabilising the nation.

Military: Assay the personnel of the revolutionaries; Any meeting the standards of military recruit both physically and mentally are to be formed into Storm Guard brigades, with an aim of six units. These units are intended to be elite formations getting the best equipment and personnel and directly under the dictator's command. Any personnel unfit for military duty will be referred to the ministry of the interior to serve as agitators, guerrillas, police and intelligence agents. The navy is left in the capable hands of the minister of defence.

Administration: The dictator assumes responsibility for governing the Captial and it's province, along with the two other closest provinces and their cities

Diplomacy/Foreign affairs: The dictator approves of the current actions here, and sees no need to input anything further on it. A moratorium is put on the hiring of mercenaries however, any war we fight will be one of conquest, and a looted conquest is worth less than one that's relatively intact. A recommendation on sending emissaries to the islands to negotiate them joining the nation, or at least favourable trade agreements with them.

Unrest: The minister of the interior is directed to clamp down on the unrest, hard. Order must be restored and restored effectively. With a not-so subtle reminder to ensure that any criminal organisations do not gain any ground. Overt and covert actions are both sanctioned, with higher punishments mandated for any of the upper class trying to take advantage of the chaos (Can't really do that much to the lower classes regardless, they don't have much to begin with.)

Imperial Assets: Carlos seems to have this sorted, and thus the dictator backs these actions.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:15:38 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2017, 01:18:54 pm »

Presumably the efficient government bureacrats will provide you with more information once the time period is settled, as detailed military information would probably vary greatly by era.))

(( This is accurate. So far what IS known is the quality of the troops and their loyalties. The nation currently has twenty-eight units. Of these, eighteen are under the control of Imperial Generals (one of those generals being Lord Warr himself). The Revolutionary Units are under no-one's control, but would probably fall into line should they receive direction from the new government. The Riverguard are the elite units of the now-defunct Empire, trained in the Imperial City to serve as the Magistrates' arm. The Imperial Units are made up of disciplined, well-equipped soldiers loyal to their general. The Revolutionary Units are mostly just organized mobs led by the rebels with the loudest voices. ))
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2017, 01:25:17 pm »

"I would like to request the Dictator's approval of the truly vital information-gathering options suggested so far, of most import being the national census and survey of our infrastructure."
Administration: The dictator assumes responsibility for governing all six provinces at the current time.
"My Dictator I fear I must remind you that all men have limits! It would already be a challenge to adequately administrate two or three of the provinces of our nation personally while still attending to your duties as Dictator, let alone all of them! I must strongly recommend that you re-consider this course of action."

((OOC: I assume this is correct DontBanTheMan?))

Ministries: Divide the ministry of the exterior (Diplomacy, International Trade, Military, Foreign Intelligence) into the Ministry of foreign affairs (Diplomacy, International Trade) and Ministry of Defence (Military). Foreign intelligence is shifted to the ministry of the interior. Presumably one major action. Camila is appointed minister of the interior, Lord Warrickalneus is appointed minister of Defense. Kanami Awerick is appointed minister of Civil Service. A capable diplomat is appointed to be the minister of foreign affairs. While additional ministries to cover areas not already mentioned would be good too add, at the current time their creation is untenable to the current goal of stabilising the nation.
"My Dictator, while not meaning to disparage the Minister Camilia's outstanding contributions to the revolution, I feel it is my duty to remind you of her somewhat... chequered past. I would be wary of putting one the Ministry of the Interior should be keeping a close eye on in charge of said apparatus of combating corruption. The phrase 'fox guarding the henhouse', comes to mind."

((While setting a criminal to catch a criminal is a somewhat valid tactic, there's still the criminal you set loose. Similarly having someone who began their career cooking books in charge of fighting corruption in the government is both pretty smart and incredibly stupid at the same time.))

Constitution: : "Inalienable rights of our citizens to not get taxed into oblivion or executed without due cause and the right to vote for senators to represent them in the senate. Upon the death, abdication or stripping of office of the current dictator, a new dictator will be voted into office by the senate, through a preferential system. In the event the senate is unsatisfied with the current dictator, he can be removed from office through majority vote of at least 80%. Furthermore, each citizen is free to worship, believe and opine about all topics of discussion and/or deities without persecution as long as the legitimacy and stability of the state is not threatened."
"I would like to remind the Dictator that the senate will have to ratify the constitution."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:04:06 pm by Demonic Spoon »

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2017, 01:34:01 pm »

"So far we have a consensus on the constitution aside from two points, which are...
- Upon the death, abdication or stripping of office of the current dictator, a new dictator will be voted into office by the senate, through a first past the post system OR through a preferential system.
- In the event the senate is unsatisfied with the current dictator, he can be removed from office through majority vote of at least 60% OR 80%.

[ it is assumed that the discrepancy in Demonic Spoon's constitution draft regarding the persecution of star-readers was a joke ]

Administration: The dictator assumes responsibility for governing all six provinces at the current time.
"My Dictator I fear I must remind you that all men have limits! It would already be a challenge to adequately administrate one of the provinces of our nation personally while still attending to your duties as Dictator, let alone all six! I must strongly recommend that you re-consider this course of action."
((OOC: I assume this is correct DontBanTheMan?))

(( He has the capacity to administer all six provinces OR all six cities OR three cities, three provinces efficiently. At three admin * two per admin, he can manage six assets. Each city is considered an individual asset, as is each province. He could also go over the limit and incur penalties. Alternatively, he could put (up to three) mayors in charge of the cities and utilize them as subordinates while directly managing the provinces, or vice versa. ))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:37:03 pm by DontBanTheMan »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2017, 01:37:03 pm »

((Disappointed a relatively modern setting is winning the vote, but I can deal.))

[ it is assumed that the discrepancy in Demonic Spoon's constitution draft regarding the persecution of star-readers was a joke ]
((Sort of joke but but also sort of serious? The constitution was deliberately written in a rather lighthearted/tongue-in-cheek tone ("taxed into oblivion"). It's not a hill I'm going to die on))
(( He has the capacity to administer all six provinces OR all six cities OR three cities, three provinces efficiently. At three admin * two per admin, he can manage six assets. Each city is considered an individual asset, as is each province. He could also go over the limit and incur penalties. Alternatively, he could put (up to three) mayors in charge of the cities and utilize them as subordinates while directly managing the provinces, or vice versa. ))
((Informative!))
- Upon the death, abdication or stripping of office of the current dictator, a new dictator will be voted into office by the senate, through a first past the post system OR through a preferential system.
((The main reason I chose first past the post is so the game isn't bogged down by voting in new dictators. Quick and easy. So purely meta reasons yes, but gameplay convenience is kind of a biggy.))
- In the event the senate is unsatisfied with the current dictator, he can be removed from office through majority vote of at least 60% OR 80%.
((Somehow I doubt the senate is going to accept needing a nearly unanimous vote to impeach the dictator. A simply 60% is more than sufficient for this in a body as large as the senate imo, you're almost never going to get that many of them to agree to it.))'
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:26:32 pm by Demonic Spoon »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2017, 02:34:22 pm »

((Demon Why did you tell me what we know in OOC, my character still doesn't know... unless he is already supposed to know. In which case nvm.))
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 02:36:06 pm »

(( Demon Why did you tell me what we know in OOC, my character still doesn't know... unless he is already supposed to know. In which case nvm.))
((That was all taken from the main update, or information you could have requested from the bureaucracy, so all stuff you should know yes. In fact, you not actually knowing any of this IC would be way more worrisome, since you're supposed to be the main person that actually knows what's going on in the country regarding the military. It would rather call your competency into question.))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:40:00 pm by Demonic Spoon »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2017, 02:51:12 pm »

((Aaah, that clears things up.)) "Who am I kidding, you probabaly don't know anything about the millitary that I don't. Also, I would prefer if the Millitary of Defence is called the Millitary of Warfare, because defence is very different from offence, and warfare can sum up both easily." He seems to think for a while. "I supoose for me the first order of business should be to organize the desperate fighting forces of the rebellion into a proper millitary."
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2017, 03:58:27 pm »

"You have my approval for the census Carlos, I'd have presumes that went without saying. I'll head your advise on the provinces though, though the minister of civil services will take the remainder of the administration into their hands. At a later date there may be more delegation involved there if we expand.

Now, the reasoning behind the 85% vote for removal is simple, it forces the vote to be an absolute majority for it to succeed, and 60% is far to low for my liking. 66% is the minimum I'll tolerate. Or we could just leave that off altogether and let informal pressure work instead of a formalised ruleset for such.

And while Camila has certainly has a... colourful past to put it, We do need someone competent for the post. And furthermore having crossed from being against the law, she should be able to clamp down on crime and unrest effectively given that she knows their methods. If she proves too corrupt, we have due cause for an execution. At any rate I view competence from the ministers as a surety of their loyalty

Now, lord Warrickalneus, The ministry of defence will keep it's name. Firstly, Defence does sound better to those either on the fence about war or are pacifists, we label it too aggressively and we'll have problems with unrest. Add in that we'll have neighbours who'll think we're gearing up offensively will have warning, and in that case we'd want to pare back the name to either keep them unaware or to just ensure peaceful relations.

Aside from the revolutionaries you have one bigger, and more pressing, issue to attend to; the northern border. If you can leave your unit of riverguard here to act as instructors I can handle ensuring that the revolutionaries are trained up and properly equipped, you are to ensure that any inevitable attack by the western administration falters. If you see fit to sally forth and capture a buffer zone then you have my approval for so. Feel welcome to drag general Moreno with you as well, there'll be plenty of troops here to keep everything in order.

Furthermore, you'll need to keep an eye on your generals and either ensure they stay loyal to the nation, or are removed from their positions if they are not."

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2017, 04:12:02 pm »

"Very well, it shall keep it's name as Ministry of defence. I will leave my unit here and shall take General Moreno with me. As for the last one, it should be pretty easy, except for Rodwitz. He's always hated me, I think it's something to do with the fact that I'm a higher position than him, in his mind. Anything else?"

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 04:16:02 pm »

"Nothing from me in that regards."

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 04:39:04 pm »

((I need to sleep IRL, sorry if it's inconvenient...))

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2017, 07:13:08 pm »

"Are there any objections to the Dictator's agenda for the senate meeting? If not, we can call the senate to council and begin the vote on whether or not to pass the constitution into law. If there are any objections, we best iron out a compromise before we assemble the senate."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2017, 11:39:52 pm »

"None from me, no."

"As for my...history, dear Advisor, I say only this: a dog is loyal and will follow but a fox is craftier and smarter still. Those men and women who are currently pursuing these 'trades of the street' are not fools and it would be an insult to such people to send anything but an equal to parlay their submission to the state. Anyone one else would cause more trouble than its worth, trouble this government cannot tolerate."
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:16:58 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2017, 01:36:59 am »

"One might argue that they are fools for taking up such trades in the first place. And I can accept temporary trouble if it leads to a... permanent solution. Just remember you're on the side of the law now, and that is where your loyalties lie. Forget that, and there will be a very swift and harsh reminder given."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17