Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Birth of the Bureaucracy (6/∞), Turn 6  (Read 15267 times)

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Birth of the Bureaucracy (6/∞), Turn 6
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:14:09 am »

The Orvendian Empire has collapsed, and the shackles placed upon your proud people have been shaken off. Through the dissent and disorganization generated by the destruction of the political order, your people, long controlled by others, has finally taken the first steps toward self-governance. It falls upon the rulers of this new nation to see that this endeavor succeeds, lest they fall under the heel of a foreign power once more.

Each segment of the Empire (the Heartland, Inner Region, Upper Territories, West Administration, and Borderlands) is in a vicious struggle to grab power and claim international recognition. Your own fledgling nation has risen in the southernmost area of the West Administration, a recent and still politically independent region of the now-defunct empire. As such, the region has very little cultural similarities, and every nobleman with an army is seeking to start his own kingdom. You must find a way to earn the recognition and respect of your neighbors and establish yourself as a true, independent state.

However, your nation will not be just another upstart kingdom. No, the people have had enough and they say no more imperial bloodlines. And so it is that a Senate is formed, and with it the semblance of democracy. The Dictator would rule the nation, yes; but on his death or resignation, the Senate would elect a new man or woman to rule. The idea of Ministries was formed fairly early on in the development of the nation, and it was decided that to start there would be four of them: the Ministries of Civil Service, the Economy, the Interior, and the Exterior. They would be beholden to the Dictator, though the Senate's influence over the future Dictator would make them beholden to the Senate as well.

With a set of principles in hand, you and your comrades must set out and make a name for yourself, your people, and your nation.

This game takes place in a fictional world during the [TBD] time period (this will be decided during the first Meeting, as well as the initial Dictator among the pool of candidates and the country name). More in-depth information regarding the country will be given following the game's start. The game will be easily accessible for less-active players as senators while also allowing for more-active players to take active part in the game. Feel free to join in as a senator even if you don't have a lot of time; the part requires no activity. Players who are inactive for several turns will automatically become senators. To join the game, simply submit a character sheet to this thread.

Spoiler: Gameplay (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:58:19 am by DontBanTheMan »
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of the Bureaucracy (0/∞)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:13:52 am »

Does magic exist in this setting?

Sheet: (Complete?)

Name: Carlos
Info: A middle-aged hispanic man, raised in an orphanage but managing to work himself up the ranks of the government through his star-reading abilities and indefatigable energy. Often described as "non-descript" or "average" he doesn't really stand out in a crowd.
Desired Position: Advisor

Point Buy:
Stats:
Energy: 5
Passion: 1
Politics: 1
Admin: 3
Strategy: 3

Personal Assets: Poor

Skills/Quirks: Star-Reading (5): Carlos has the ability to read the future through the stars.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:12:54 am by Demonic Spoon »

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 10:23:48 am »

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:36:27 am by flazeo25 »

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:28:56 am »

I'm going to go with yes, but to a very limited extent. Killing a man outright with magic is unfeasible if not impossible, but divination (such as star reading) and other forms of "earthlike" magicks (witchcraft, making battles tilt in your favor, discerning favorable days) are pretty common. They are not all real, but the magic that IS real is nigh-impossible to tell from fake magic.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 10:56:33 am »

I'm going to go with yes, but to a very limited extent. Killing a man outright with magic is unfeasible if not impossible, but divination (such as star reading) and other forms of "earthlike" magicks (witchcraft, making battles tilt in your favor, discerning favorable days) are pretty common. They are not all real, but the magic that IS real is nigh-impossible to tell from fake magic.
Mmm, could I have a star-reading trait or such? Like to foretell natural disasters.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 11:10:35 am »

Mmm, could I have a star-reading trait or such? Like to foretell natural disasters.

Yeah, that'd be alright. Any magic that one could still view as fake is acceptable. Time period's still up in the air, but any era chosen will still be compatible with star reading. Cost would depend on the strength of the star-reading, but it would probably be 2-3 points, 5ish if particularly potent.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:21:32 am by DontBanTheMan »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 12:05:13 pm »

PTW; I may make a sheet later.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:40:25 am »

ptw

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 03:40:38 am »

By the way, I have no qualms with players without sheets voting or speaking in the Senate. However, the only influence they'll have is on the Senate and thus can't directly influence the country (since all Senate proposals at the start of the game have to be enforced by those with the power to do so). In essence, think of the Senate portion as a SG for proposals to the Ministers and Dictator.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 04:15:08 am »

Can I be a completely millitary based person?
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 04:18:53 am »

Can I be a completely millitary based person?
Absolutely. That'd probably be full Strategy plus a few traits to boost personal combat. Several other stats (passion, energy) may also be useful in that regard, or admin for logistics.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It's Warr's Time To Shine!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 04:50:57 am »

Here is my Lord! (Finished!)

Name: Lord Warrickalneus (Warr for short.)

Info: Lord Warr's story is that of a short, but tragic one. When he was young, his family was murdered by someone they had called a friend, and while before then he was quite happy, after the event he grew a temper like that of a lion. Some say that he strangled the murderer with his bare hands, at 6, but only he and his best friend, Sir Lootington, know if that is true. Sir Lootington was a strange fellow, who you could always tell was full to the brim with secrets, and he would occasionally dissapear, noone knows where, but he always comes back. Even Lord Warr doesn't what he does in his spare time, but many, many rumours have sprung up about Sir Lootington, some good, some bad, but Warr doesn't really care about his friends personal affairs to much, if Sir Lootington wants to keep his secrets, he can.

Desired Position: Minister

Point Buy: Each character has thirty points to spend. 0 Points left.
Stats:
Energy: 2
Passion: 2
Polotics: 2
Admin: 3
Strategy: 3

Personal Assets: A Large Private Army, with a medium center of light infantry and strong flanks of heavy infantry, with 2 large groups of cavalry near the flanks.

Followers:
Sir Lootington:
Stats: 1
Energy: 1
Passion: 1
Polotics: 1
Admin: 1
Strategy: 2
Loyalty: 3, Loyal to the end.

Skills/Quirks: None, Desired Cost: 0.

Is it Ok? Tell me if I did any of the math wrong.

Edit 1: Going to try and make a picture of him.

Edit 2: Will probabaly take a while, so I'm gonna just make it some other day.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:34:58 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It's Warr's Time To Shine!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 05:03:31 am »

-snip-

Is it Ok? Tell me if I did any of the math wrong.
Stats cost you (2+0+0+5+5) 12 points, Assets cost you 7-10 (I assume you want the largest possible, so 10), Underling cost (0+0+0+0+1+3) 4 points, and Quirk cost 0. Even if the army is the largest you can possibly get, you still have 26 points left to spend 4 points left to spend. Keep in mind that upgrading a stat from 1 to 3 costs 5 points; you don't have to go from 1 to 2 then 2 to 3. This is probably where you got confused.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:28:01 am by DontBanTheMan »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 05:15:59 am »

Actually, i would have used 26, I wouldn't have 26 left to spend, or am I misunderstanding this, and it gives us more points?

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 05:28:17 am »

Actually, i would have used 26, I wouldn't have 26 left to spend, or am I misunderstanding this, and it gives us more points?
Negatory, that was a typo. Meant to say you've used 26 points, have 4 left.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17