Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three Observation Questions  (Read 1233 times)

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Three Observation Questions
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:29 am »

My fort Stabcaves has been around for a while, and I my first generation of citizens are beginning to die from old age.  I also have an extensive dwarf breeding project in which I separate children into family groups.  This has been happening for a few years in Stabcaves, and it has led me to a few questions that I have never considered before.

1.  What is the oldest dwarf you have seen?  I have never looked at age at death before and found it on memorial slabs.  Seems the oldest I have had at Stabcaves was 145.  I am pretty sure I have seen older dwarves in previous forts...
2.  What is the oldest human you have seen?  In Stabcaves, my human mace lord Jalew died at the young age of 103.
3.  What is the most number of children per parent pair have you seen?  In Stabcaves, I have a 57 year old couple with 17 children (presume they will keep having more).  Note all live and were born in the fort (or have lived in the fort, 2 are in tombs).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Three Observation Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:34:04 am »

The age spans for creatures are available in the raws. When they reach a certain age they have a chance to die, but it seems these dice were rolled at their creation and that their time of death by old age is part of their character data.
There are reports of dwarves who are older than the max age (which I think is 180) though, without being cursed or necromancers.

If you're working on it you can probably get more than one kid per year out of a couple by inducing them to marriage as closely as possible after maturation and then use burrows to induce them to procreate immediately after marriage and each birth. Occasional twins would add to the number.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 11:35:13 am »

1.  What is the oldest dwarf you have seen?  I have never looked at age at death before and found it on memorial slabs.  Seems the oldest I have had at Stabcaves was 145.  I am pretty sure I have seen older dwarves in previous forts...

According to the wiki, dwarves have a "max age" of 150-170 years.

2.  What is the oldest human you have seen?  In Stabcaves, my human mace lord Jalew died at the young age of 103.
Humans have a max age of 60-120 years.

3.  What is the most number of children per parent pair have you seen?  In Stabcaves, I have a 57 year old couple with 17 children (presume they will keep having more).  Note all live and were born in the fort (or have lived in the fort, 2 are in tombs).

Hmmm... Theoretically, if they were married at 12, had children every 9 months, and one spouse died at the minimum max age of 150 then they could have 184 individual children (more with twins, triplets, etc.). The largest I've actually encountered is 47 children (playing a dead civilization without migrants; 145 children total from 4 couples).

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:11:05 pm »

Hmmm... Theoretically, if they were married at 12, had children every 9 months, and one spouse died at the minimum max age of 150 then they could have 184 individual children (more with twins, triplets, etc.). The largest I've actually encountered is 47 children (playing a dead civilization without migrants; 145 children total from 4 couples).

That's a lot of kids.  Just because I see things like this and think of the math, you'll need 2^n starting parents for n generations without sharing an ancestor.  So sadly, your entire fourth generation will share all eight of your starting dwarves as ancestors.  I'm not sure how far the game tracks relations so that might actually be enough to perpetuate the dwarven species.

For observations, I've had several dwarves pass 160, though I don't think I've ever seen beyond 170.  Usually my forts die of "New Idea!" before my dwarves die of old age.  And I've had dwarven couples produce over a dozen kids without any specific measures to get them to have kids.  So I assume that would continue at least 47 times...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:28:06 pm »

Relation-tracking - you can't marry siblings, or dwarves farther apart than 10 years, or cross species. Everything else depends on the individual.

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 12:53:47 pm »

I've married cousins before.  What is odd in these marriages is that the 'partner' continues to show up as cousin under relationships even as he/she progresses through the relationship chain.  This stops once married.  Have to look at thoughts to determine relationships.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 05:40:16 pm »

Dwarves also marry for life and do not remarry, and do not produce kids out of wedlock, so that blocks parent-(grand)child relations. However, Legends Mode shows lots of characters who are both the parent and grand parent of an offspring, so the the marriage rule isn't upheld there (nor is the 10 year difference rule, obviously).

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 06:28:20 pm »

However, Legends Mode shows lots of characters who are both the parent and grand parent of an offspring, so the the marriage rule isn't upheld there (nor is the 10 year difference rule, obviously).

Ummm... that is wrong is sooo many ways.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:11 am »

However, Legends Mode shows lots of characters who are both the parent and grand parent of an offspring, so the the marriage rule isn't upheld there (nor is the 10 year difference rule, obviously).

Ummm... that is wrong is sooo many ways.

Worldgen plays by different rules to the rest of the game.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway